BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have my 1999 LT for about 4 months now and decided I had to get to know how it ticked.
So I started to remove some of the tubberware, but could not stop. the photos attached show the position at the moment.
Is there any mods etc, I should do while I am at this stage.
I am going to do the throttle cable mod, the bike has just got its 12000 mile service, so the fluids should be ok. Is there any need to replace the fuel filter ?
Any advice will be very welcome.

P.S. I might be back to you all to find out how to but it all back togeather.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Dude!

Mine looks like that right now too. My nose cone is still on, for now, but air filter box and throttle bodies are off.

Had an oil leak, was the breather tube. You might want to take a look at the top of your engine, if any oil puddled there, look to the breather tube.

I got a shed for shelter, looks like you got a kitchen.

My nose cone comes off soon, got at least 1 dash light bulb out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gunny,
I am about to remove the Air Box - having a bit of trouble - Clymer says to loosen the screws to the hose clamps, but two of them have what appears to be non-reusable clamps is that right ? - getting them out is possible, but puting them back on without removing the fuel rail that another matter. Could you or someone guide me through the Air Box removel ?

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Hello.

On the fuel filter, it is part of the 12K if it was a through and by the book 12K service? If you have any doubt do it with new fuel clamps inside the tank and out. 2 sizes needed.

You should look at the air filter. Again a 12K item though.

Coolant maybe? Do you know last time done?

If it was me I would do all the brake lines new as they have a history of failure on older models. Or at least I see a fair amount of mention to it here , so I will do mine at the 4-5 year mark as general maintenance.

And of course this gets you a complete brake fluid flush. Do the clutch fluid at the same time and you should be golden.

I guess check all your rubber around your throttle bodys. Recent thread on that manifold (PCV) to throttle body connection and I have seen one ugly first hand. Your working around that area anyway.

Maybe inspect your exhaust headers well. Check for all nuts on the studs and any movement any where as there have been flanges broken on them.

A good cleaning inside out.

Wiring inspection dielectric grease on all connections you can see/find.

Should I go on or is that enough busy work :D :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LAF said:
Hello.

On the fuel filter, it is part of the 12K if it was a through and by the book 12K service? If you have any doubt do it with new fuel clamps inside the tank and out. 2 sizes needed.

You should look at the air filter. Again a 12K item though.

Coolant maybe? Do you know last time done?

If it was me I would do all the brake lines new as they have a history of failure on older models. Or at least I see a fair amount of mention to it here , so I will do mine at the 4-5 year mark as general maintenance.

And of course this gets you a complete brake fluid flush. Do the clutch fluid at the same time and you should be golden.

I guess check all your rubber around your throttle bodys. Recent thread on that manifold (PCV) to throttle body connection and I have seen one ugly first hand. Your working around that area anyway.

Maybe inspect your exhaust headers well. Check for all nuts on the studs and any movement any where as there have been flanges broken on them.

A good cleaning inside out.

Wiring inspection dielectric grease on all connections you can see/find.

Should I go on or is that enough busy work :D :D
Thanks LAF thats the kind of advice I am looking for - the only way to understand something is to take it apart.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
When I got that far, I did all the stuff LAF suggested, plus Wilber suspension, but most fun was changing the dash lights. Did blue first, but too hard to see. Switched to red, and I really like 'em. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Some things to do/change/replace:

1. Replace the fuel line quick disconnects with metal QDs.
2. Install an after-market air horn (one brand is "Stebel").
3. Install an intercom/bike-to-bike communication system. Of course, this install doesn't require the level of disassembly you are at it, but you are in there...
4. Replace the headlight with a HID unit. Low beam or high beam - or both - your choice.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
You will see that 2 of the air horns going up to the air filter housing have screw type clamps and the front 2 are not. Loosen the back 2, #3 is going to be a pain to get to and use a small tip screw driver to just pop off the front 2. Replace them with screw type clamps when it goes back together, unless you have a pliers to clamp them back. The rear 2 air horns come out of the air cleaner box easily.

Biggest thing is to be sure you get them all on with no air leaks and that the clamps do not interfere withe the throttle linkage travel. In other words, be sure to still have full throttle and the clamps aren't jamming any of the linkages.

Biggest pain for me was to get the breather tube back on the fitting on the engine.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
hschisler said:

1. Replace the fuel line quick disconnects with metal QDs.
No need on the 99 as there were no quick disconnects.
hschisler said:
2. Install an after-market air horn (one brand is "Stebel").
+1 on the Stebel. I have one connected in addition to my already loud stock horn. Love it!
hschisler said:
4. Replace the headlight with a HID unit. Low beam or high beam - or both - your choice.
Maybe the biggest improvement you can make on the bike for little money

Also since you are already there disconnect the temperature sensor at the front of the air box. This will eliminate the engine hesitations in hot weather. Later model required cutting the "brown wire" but early bikes don't have it.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Originally Posted by hschisler

1. Replace the fuel line quick disconnects with metal QDs...

zippy_gg said:
No need on the 99 as there were no quick disconnects...
Thanks for the correction, Gilles! My BMW experience has been limited (so far!) to the K1200LT, so I tend to think in that "box" at all times.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
hschisler said:
Originally Posted by hschisler

1. Replace the fuel line quick disconnects with metal QDs...

Thanks for the correction, Gilles! My BMW experience has been limited (so far!) to the K1200LT, so I tend to think in that "box" at all times.
Just an FYI, the early K1200LT's ('99-'00, and maybe early '01's) had no quick disconnects (QD's) at all. The later models had the plastic QD's which are prone to failure. I recommend going to the metal QD's on all LT's whenever you have a chance, since you will be removing the tank again in the future for service anyway.

John

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
You've done the easy part. It's putting the beast back together that gives me fits. Spent 2 hours trying to get the right upper tupperware back on last time. Let us know how many extra fasteners you have when your done. Of course there are guys on this forum that make it look easy and never have extra parts.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once again guy’s thanks for all the input and keep it coming.
I have got the air box off and discovered number 2 boot (looking from left to right) was not seated fully to the throttle body. The rubber of the boot was deformed slightly. I did not find any problem with performance, but if you look at the attached pictures,(325,324 & 323) you will see some white power on the throttle body where air was leaking in.
I will order the new throttle cables from the local BMW dealer as soon as they open after the holidays. The Hid unit is next on my list as is the QD`s. As for the temperature sensor – well, I think I will leave it alone as we don’t get high temperatures in Ireland, not compared to you guys in America.
I am taking a lot of pictures as I go and will take more when I do the rebuild – I will put them all on my Photobucket site when I am finished and post the link – They may be of help to someone.
So thanks again and if anyone else remembers anything I should do at this stage please post.
Derek.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Defaoite said:
So I started to remove some of the tubberware,

but could not stop.
Du-ude,

that happens to a lot of us

you're almost there .............don't stop now

(just kidding) :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
Du-ude,

That life saving ring adds a nice touch!! :)

May I ask the reason for the nearly complete teardown? Engine replacement?

Matt

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
Du-ude,

Hans, when it comes to detailing every nook & cranny, I can see you don't fool around! :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Man, that looks spooky! I have an '09 LT and gettin' ready for 12k service. Clymer manual says do a valve check w/fluids change. Anyone here think that necessary at 12k? :cool:

·
Registered
81 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
Du-ude,

That last photo had rolling on the floor. Talk about carried away. :histerica

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SilverBuffalo said:
Du-ude,

Hans you are putting me to shame - I have only taken the ribbon of the box - you have ripped the wrapping and jumped right into the box. You will have every BMW mechanic ringing you up for advice (I am assuming you got it all back together).
With people like you on this forum there is nothing we can do - Columbus only sailed around the world to see if it was round - you would have peeled back the mantel and gone straight to the core and arrived out the other side.
Hands up to you mate - I hope you keep an eye on my posts when I put everything back together.
Sláinte
Derek

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Hans, We know you are the master but this is one you never put back together! Right?

Loren

1 - 20 of 42 Posts