BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on my merry way back home to Texas from the Hamburg, NY national we were between Akron and Columbus Ohio when, while doing 73 mph on cruise in fifth gear my revs shot up to about 7500 and the bike slowed down. I dropped it into 4th and limped 15 miles into Ashland Ohio. We are in a motel room and I guess I'll be looking for a U-Haul that will hold both bikes and my bunkhouse trailer. Since the contaminant is engine oil (I know this from the weep hole I drilled) I'm going to assume I've been "O" ringed. I really did not want to do this job with only 26,000 miles on the clock. I guess the "high" quality BMW O-ring hardened up over 16 years and decided to fail. That's my luck, I do every premptive repair that I can and still get bit. OK time for a glass of wine or three.

Robert

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Tough luck, sorry to hear.. good luck with hauling everything home.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,988 Posts
Can you nurse it home without the trailer ?. I rode mine for 2 years before I fixed it. I know someone near where you could keep the camper.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you nurse it home without the trailer ?. I rode mine for 2 years before I fixed it. I know someone near where you could keep the camper.
Thanks Dave, I really appreciate the phone call. As I said to you in our conversation, I'm losing too much oil to try to limp it that far. If I did not have time constraints I would give it a try and keep pouring oil into it.

Once again, the people on this forum are phenomenal.

Robert

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Thanks Dave, I really appreciate the phone call. As I said to you in our conversation, I'm losing too much oil to try to limp it that far. If I did not have time constraints I would give it a try and keep pouring oil into it.

Once again, the people on this forum are phenomenal.

Robert
Do you have the tools to do the job?

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
While on my merry way back home to Texas from the Hamburg, NY national we were between Akron and Columbus Ohio when, while doing 73 mph on cruise in fifth gear my revs shot up to about 7500 and the bike slowed down. I dropped it into 4th and limped 15 miles into Ashland Ohio. We are in a motel room and I guess I'll be looking for a U-Haul that will hold both bikes and my bunkhouse trailer. Since the contaminant is engine oil (I know this from the weep hole I drilled) I'm going to assume I've been "O" ringed. I really did not want to do this job with only 26,000 miles on the clock. I guess the "high" quality BMW O-ring hardened up over 16 years and decided to fail. That's my luck, I do every premptive repair that I can and still get bit. OK time for a glass of wine or three.

Robert
I feel your pain. The good news is you can do this job if you desire. Lots of help here and just take lots of pictures!

·
Cat Herder
1,485 Posts
So... on a positive note and other than the LT pooping out on you, how was the rally???

Good riding and good vendors?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ouch. Sorry to hear this happened to you, Scout. I'll be taking my LT to Canada next week. I'll have my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So... on a positive note and other than the LT pooping out on you, how was the rally???

Good riding and good vendors?
Rally was great. 6100 attendees, nice weather (for the most part), roads and area very good. Met and camped with lots of old friends and met some new ones. I was amazed by the number of K1200LTs there. The number of camper trailers being pulled by bikes was surprising. This was our 11th national. Quite a few vendors, not too many great deals but there were some.

Robert

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have the tools to do the job?
Gordon, I've got most of the tools. Ill check what I'm missing when I get home and probably fab up what I need. Thanks for asking. I remember there being a list somewhere on this forum. I made up a lot of the drawings (with much help from other members) for the tools and they are posted here.

Robert

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Gordon, I've got most of the tools. Ill check what I'm missing when I get home and probably fab up what I need. Thanks for asking. I remember there being a list somewhere on this forum. I made up a lot of the drawings (with much help from other members) for the tools and they are posted here.

Robert
Learn something new about people every day. Yep, posted in the Tools > Technical > Files area and I see your credits on the file.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts

Robert
I for one am thankful for your work. I used the hold bar drawing to have mine fabricated. With a little fine tuning of the points on the bar, it fit like a glove and prevented rotation in either direction to a fine tolerance.

The only minor issue was the discrepancy between the angles and the linear dimensions for the two ends. Got my fab shop confused, but he used the linear dimensions and ignored the angles and it came out perfectly.

Good luck with your project. I plan to follow your posts, should you take time to post, so I can relive my agony of May!
:smile:

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Robert
I've got Viton O-rings if you need one of those. would be happy to send one N/C if you don't have any.

Reactions: mcracer

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that but at least you got to a safe place without problems.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Diagnosis update!

I had to limp from the motel to the U-haul store. As I started to leave I heard some crunchy noises out of the trans. At first I thought my drive shaft rubber had let loose. I continued on slowly for about five miles with intermittent bad noises. When I got to the U-haul store I could no longer shift up or down. I stuck my finger in a small puddle of oil and smelled a faint wiff of hypoid oil. More poop. I would like youse guys to weigh in on cause/effect. I have some thoughts on the matter but I will hold back for more info.

On another note, The U-haul place was extremely accommodating. The owner backed the truck up to a berm in his yard and had the ramp out before I got there. I limped the LT up the ramp then rode my wife's bike up. The owner then went and got his 4-wheeler ramps so we could load the trailer into the truck. Could not ask for more, great people.

The saga continues, we are in Kentucky now.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Diagnosis update!

I had to limp from the motel to the U-haul store. As I started to leave I heard some crunchy noises out of the trans. At first I thought my drive shaft rubber had let loose. I continued on slowly for about five miles with intermittent bad noises. When I got to the U-haul store I could no longer shift up or down. I stuck my finger in a small puddle of oil and smelled a faint wiff of hypoid oil. More poop. I would like youse guys to weigh in on cause/effect. I have some thoughts on the matter but I will hold back for more info.

On another note, The U-haul place was extremely accommodating. The owner backed the truck up to a berm in his yard and had the ramp out before I got there. I limped the LT up the ramp then rode my wife's bike up. The owner then went and got his 4-wheeler ramps so we could load the trailer into the truck. Could not ask for more, great people.

The saga continues, we are in Kentucky now.
I don't know if that is one of the signs of input bearing failure or not. You have now confirmed 2 types of oil leaking so it will be interesting to see whats up when you get it home.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know if that is one of the signs of input bearing failure or not. You have now confirmed 2 types of oil leaking so it will be interesting to see whats up when you get it home.
I may have be mistaken on the engine oil. Time will tell.

Robert

1 - 20 of 32 Posts