BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a source for the 5mm rubber well nuts? I will not pay $4.50 ea. for a .50 cent item.

Robert (AKA cheap bastard)

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
Anyone have a source for the 5mm rubber well nuts? I will not pay $4.50 ea. for a .50 cent item.

How many do ya need? I gotta passel of 'em - or maybe 6!! ;)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dick said:
How many do ya need? I gotta passel of 'em - or maybe 6!! ;)
Thanks Dick, I wouldn't mind a dozen or two. I don't mind having spares, I do have friends with K1200LT's, You never know when you live out in the sticks. BTW do you know Joe Fisher?

Robert

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Scouter-50 said:

I get mine from desmoparts also.

Should have said something last Tech Session, there is a bag here somewhere!

dan

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DanMartin said:
I get mine from desmoparts also.

Should have said something last Tech Session, there is a bag here somewhere!

dan
Thanks Dan, I didn't need them till the 3rd or 4th tupperware removal. I ordered some from desmo.

Robert

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
Thanks Dick, I wouldn't mind a dozen or two. I don't mind having spares, I do have friends with K1200LT's, You never know when you live out in the sticks. BTW do you know Joe Fisher?

Robert
If you've ordered from Desmo, then I'll hold onto my stash.

Yep - know Joe. One of his daughters is my next door neighbor. Don't knows I've ever shook his hand, but Mandy keeps me up on news about Joe. His last spill changed a few 'priorities' for him, I heard.

Best always, Robert.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dick said:
If you've ordered from Desmo, then I'll hold onto my stash.

Yep - know Joe. One of his daughters is my next door neighbor. Don't knows I've ever shook his hand, but Mandy keeps me up on news about Joe. His last spill changed a few 'priorities' for him, I heard.

Best always, Robert.
Thanks, Dick. I was just looking for a low cost supplier. Was Joe's spill before or after he had the GS sidecar rig built?

Robert

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
Thanks, Dick. I was just looking for a low cost supplier. Was Joe's spill before or after he had the GS sidecar rig built?Robert
Dunno for sure, Robert - butt my guess would be that the spill precipitated the sidecar rig. As you prolly know, he's a dyed in the wool rider, and I imagine he's keenly aware of the family's concern when he's on the road. Yet, a passion is a passion and something that I hope he deals with in a win-win manner - again, my guess is he has, does, and will.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
If you run a tap thru the well nuts once in a wile, they will last a long long time. I run a die over the faring mount screws sometimes when I have the skin off, & a tap thru the screw holes. It doesn't take very long to do ,& helps it go back together easier.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Patric said:
If you run a tap thru the well nuts once in a wile, they will last a long long time. I run a die over the faring mount screws sometimes when I have the skin off, & a tap thru the screw holes. It doesn't take very long to do ,& helps it go back together easier.
Under normal circumstances I would agree...but I'm dealing with 12-13 year old German rubber parts. The rubber is disintegrating whenever I remove and replace the screws a few times. I'm sure that some over tightening has occurred in the past which doesn't help. I will give the screws a close look and see if I can locate a 5mm die in my shop somewhere. BTW what are the screws made of?

Thanks, Robert

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm surprised that I'm the first to say this, but well well well..... :D I didn't even know they were called well nuts - thanks for the lesson! OK that's it from me...

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
Under normal circumstances I would agree...but I'm dealing with 12-13 year old German rubber parts. The rubber is disintegrating whenever I remove and replace the screws a few times. I'm sure that some over tightening has occurred in the past which doesn't help. I will give the screws a close look and see if I can locate a 5mm die in my shop somewhere. BTW what are the screws made of?

Thanks, Robert
The screws are stainless steel.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I ordered the ones from Demoparts when I had an '00 model because like mentioned after 100K miles and the years the rubber falls apart.

The after market ones are NOT as good as the OEM.

But they will get you thru in a pinch.

Paul

·
Registered
253 Posts
where are these used on the lt?

i am searching for the camshaft head mount screws. are they of any standard size?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LTFan said:

i am searching for the camshaft head mount screws. are they of any standard size?
The well nuts fit through holes in the mounting brackets and body pieces of the tupperware under the tip over guards (for lack of a better term). Don't know about the camshaft screws.

Robert

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,426 Posts
LTFan said:

The well nuts are on the lower end of the upper faring and the upper end of the lower faring under the tip over bar cover.

The cam cover bolts are unique.

They hold a rubber bush and as far as I know are only available from the dealer.

PN 11 14 1 464 874 $11.67 each . You can probably re-use the rubber bush.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts