BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you recommend for a replacement ?

Times are a bit tough right now and I cant afford $200 for a new one, maybe when things get better I will pony up, but not now.

I need a cheap battery to get me through for a year.

Recently unemployed, as with ALOT of folks in my area.

Please give me some ideas on a battery that I can justify to the S.O. that it is worth purchasing.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Ryder, I just bet that your LT would take longer than a year to figure out you installed a $50 battery from WallyWorld. Bet no one else would notice either!

It wouldn't be gel or AGM but would certainly get the job done for you!

Good luck getting a new job!

Loren

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Ole Toad sports one of these batteries and has had no issues for three years. Recommended by several members. Charged occassionly with a Battery Tender Plus.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I bought one from Battery Plus last week to replace my 5 year old BMW battery. It is one normally used in the "Jump Boxes" used to jump start cars. 20 AH with 570 CCA for $75.00. I forget the model number but the counter guy here said he has sold many of them for bikes with no problems at all.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Just like Steve, I bought a maintenance free battery at Batteries Plus for the Triumph a couple of years ago. They sell one with a 1 year warranty and an upgraded version with a 2 year warranty. Neither one is over $100. Closer to $80 I believe. Plus you can easily replace it if it does fail. I do have the Odyssey on the LT and it has given me well over 8 years service!

John
katnapinn said:
I bought one from Battery Plus last week to replace my 5 year old BMW battery. It is one normally used in the "Jump Boxes" used to jump start cars. 20 AH with 570 CCA for $75.00. I forget the model number but the counter guy here said he has sold many of them for bikes with no problems at all.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Dick said:
Ole Toad sports one of these batteries and has had no issues for three years. Recommended by several members. Charged occassionly with a Battery Tender Plus.
+1 on the UB12220 12v 22 amp.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help and encouragement gentlemen. Looks like at trip to wally world is in order.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
gbob said:
Hello Tryder
http://ebatteriestogo.com has a AGM fit for the KLT shipped free for $74.95 . I going to try one as my 4 year old Odyssey PC680 is getting weak .

Bob G
Since I've seen more than once around here that the Odyssey doesn't last over 6 yrs, and I'm in the snow belt that keeps a bike from running full time, I went with this one. My stock replacement lasted 4 riding seasons/years. The handling charges some of these dealers require made me turn away just on principle.

Thanks to all forum member's input,
Jer

·
Registered
719 Posts
K1200LTryder said:
What do you recommend for a replacement ?

Times are a bit tough right now and I cant afford $200 for a new one, maybe when things get better I will pony up, but not now.

I need a cheap battery to get me through for a year.

Recently unemployed, as with ALOT of folks in my area.

Please give me some ideas on a battery that I can justify to the S.O. that it is worth purchasing.
westco from beemer boneyard $100.22 delivered

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
Going into my 6th year with the Odyssey PC680 - no battery tender for me. Called the mfg several years ago and says to
charge it on a good car battery charger for 24 hours and should be good to go after a season of sitting . So far so good
- will see if it makes it thru the season. Bought in 2006 and only paid $56!!

Just for fun catch this video from Odyssey - they make some very valuable points regarding their batteries!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P-wqckJ2nM

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the Walmart option is out, they don't carry anything that will fit. same as Autozone and Advance Auto....

Any ideas on a cross reference ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts