BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've given it my best shot and I must admit that I'm seriously disappointed in the K1200LT. The bike is almost impossible to handle at slow speeds, taking off from a dead start to a sharp turn you must say a prayer, when you brake at slow speeds there is no feel to the brakes they just grab, when you take off if you don't have the RPM's up and slip the clutch the bike stalls, etc, ....etc.

I've given it my best shot but I can't figure out why anybody who has purchased this bike isn't throwing rocks at BMW.

VernRuth

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You need to get rid of that junk. I notice none of those problems with mine, I don't start giving throttle till after the clutch is out. Maybe you need to try a trike!

·
Registered
127 Posts
The bike certainly provides some interesting challenges to a new owner. Obviously, there are a number of us who've successfully overcome these challenges. Keep trying, the benefits are well worth it! And good luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
You're right. It sucks. How much you want for it? :D

Scott

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry to hear you're throwing in the towel. The LT is the best there is for what it is intended to do (extended touring), but if urban riding is the majority of your time, probably best to move back to a cruiser like the Valk.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sofitel505 said:
Sorry to hear you're throwing in the towel. The LT is the best there is for what it is intended to do (extended touring), but if urban riding is the majority of your time, probably best to move back to a cruiser like the Valk.

Funny :dance:

My last bike was a Valk Interstate that I put 25K on. Fantastic piece of machinery.

·
Registered
247 Posts
VernRuth said:
I've given it my best shot and I must admit that I'm seriously disappointed in the K1200LT. The bike is almost impossible to handle at slow speeds, taking off from a dead start to a sharp turn you must say a prayer, when you brake at slow speeds there is no feel to the brakes they just grab, when you take off if you don't have the RPM's up and slip the clutch the bike stalls, etc, ....etc.
I've given it my best shot but I can't figure out why anybody who has purchased this bike isn't throwing rocks at BMW.
VernRuth
If you are being sincere and not just trying to ruffle some feathers here, I'd say at least you gave it a try and you should be true to yourself. I caught some flak from some GW dude here because I recommended a Goldwing for easier handling per published reports. Might want to look there.

The LT is not for everyone. I found it a challenge myself at first. But I like a challenge and it's definitely not a boring ride...that I like. And the LT is a cruise ship on long rides, and my wife LOVES that.

For me the LT is it. For you maybe not. There's a lot to choose from out there. Good luck finding one you will fall in love with.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm just curious> Did you ever have a BMW tech try the bike out or maybe another LT owner ride it? It may be just like the rest, however if you don't know the prior history there could be something lurking from an accident.
Having said that, after 2 years I still get an anxious feeling making slow left U-Turns with the wife and gear loaded!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Took the training wheels off a little early did you ?

What kind of LT did you get ? Mine certainly handles well at slow speeds, and the brakes are awesome.

Been reading about how to start out from a dead stop here recently, and I've never really paid much mind on how I start out, but made my own observations on the technique last night.

Dead stop, 1000 rpm......clutch out and rolling down the highway at 1500 rpm...no muss, no fuss. Nail the throttle and pay attention, 'cause 2nd gear comes up mighty fast. Put the motorcycle in 5th gear at 35mph, and you WILL get a bogging problem.

The BMW K1200LT is not a generic lifestyle motorcycle, but by the way you are trashing the bike, you most certainly seem to be a generic lifestyle rider.

BMW's are not for posers.

:bmw: :bmw: :bmw:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sorry to hear about your frustrations. It is all about technique and with some good instruction/reading and practice it is really not a difficult motorcycle to ride at any speed. Have you tried a MSF course? You might try one and ask for some help on low speed handeling. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did ride two Goldwings for many years before my LT. 1100 Interstate and 1500 Aspencade. Both were very good bikes for long straight roads. But I did not like them in the mountains. Moved to a LT a few years ago and been very happy very since. I did notice the slow speed handling on my very first ride and I adjusted. I did take a Advance MSF coarse and completed every stage. This helped me to improve on my slow speed skill.

Every year my wife and I take our LT to North Carolina in the spring and Colorado in the summer. The LT just eats up the twistey like no other touring bike I have riden before.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Gizmo1137 said:
Sorry to hear about your frustrations. It is all about technique and with some good instruction/reading and practice it is really not a difficult motorcycle to ride at any speed. Have you tried a MSF course? You might try one and ask for some help on low speed handeling. Just a thought.
Been there done that! I have been riding a lot of bikes for a lot of years. The 2002 LT was just had a 12K service, new tires, .....the works! I'm not trying to offend anyone but I am amazed that such a "high-end" bike is so difficult to handle. The BMW tech guy told me that he thought the bike was in fantastic shape.

However, I will take some good sound advice I have gotten here and take the bike back to a tech and get another opinion.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
VernRuth said:

VernRuth
If you must throw it away, be sure to throw it in my direction! I absolutely loved mine, and had none of the problems you are experiencing. I would love to take it off your hands. Where can I pick it up?

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Same here ..... in the early days

I felt the same as you and after dropping it twice in one day, difficult slow speed handling and lots of second thoughts, I slowed down and concentrated particulary hard at intersections and slow speed maneuvering.

Quite frankly, I did not feel really comfortable until I had about 4-5,000 miles on it. That is not to say that I did not enjoy most of the 4-5,000 miles, I just felt that I had to concentrate a little more than would be expected. I found that I had to just be extra careful at stops and turns because the forks will not absorb the front momentum the way a Harley will. Aside from all of the above, I really do feel that there is not another bike on the road that will make me smile the way this bike does. I ride it at all opportunities, short trips and long and always wish that the ride was a little further.

Not trying to talk you into not quitting, just want you to know that you too will probably feel as I do if you give it a chance. You'll look back and be glad that you did.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I too had trouble with the low speed handling of the bike. It was about a year and 4000 miles before I was comfortable with the LT. Now over 20,000 miles later I can't think of anything about the bike I don't like.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
bummer, more for the rest if us I suppose What are you going to sell it for. Since you appear to think it is a piece of crap, I hope your selling price will reflect this attitude

·
Registered
444 Posts
I understand that they have change the front fork to help with slow riding in the newer models. I was told and read in this site about the slow handeling problems but now that I am driving a new model I have no problems. Yes it is heavy but after 11,000 miles so far in my 07 since April, I love it!!! It took time to get used to the waight but now at slow speed, curves, highway, town etc. I love it :dance: . Yes other bikes are lighter but not as fun and comfortable. My opinion :) Try or test drive a newer model if you can in your local BMW and see if that is your solution. I think that the changes were made in 05. Good luck :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Who's Chuck?

" Well I guess I'm going to chuck the bike" You would think someone strong enough to "chuck" the bike, would be strong enough to ride it! It weighs +/-900#'s

Sorry to hear it beat you. I guess that's why BMW makes more than one model. If riding it doesn't kill you, the maintenance will! Good luck, ..Chuck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Vern,
The LT (any bike) is not perfect. To me, it's a trade off between a ride which I have not experienced on any other bike and it's low speed/stop manner. At 5'7" & a 29" inseam, I prefer to be on the Sportster when sitting still; otherwise, no contest.

Life's short, ride what makes you happy.

Rodney

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hope you tried riding it with just a little fuel in the tank, nothing in top box and rear pre-load set to almost full out (as in very little to any pre-load). If you have and 02 - 05 can't help you with the brakes. Some very good riders here have said the brakes on the 02 - 05 bikes are either on or off.

I have found that if I ride solo and the pre-load it set much above the red marker on the adjuster - I feel like I am riding someone else's bike and feel uneasy or unsteady on it. I will boost the pre-load a little if I am going to be cornering a lot - just for that. Around town and riding slow, I put it right back down.

It took me several thousand miles of riding ( not highway ) and much slow speed practice before I got comfortable in almost every situation I have run into so far. As a guy told me some time ago - seat time, ya just have to do it.

If none of the above helps, ship it to David Shealey to see if he can find out what is wrong - give him about a year to really check it out. Don't think he will charge you much to do the evaluation.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts