BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, thanks to all who helped me learn about the K1200 before I made an idiot of myself at the dealership. And thanks to all who gave the very sound advice - purchase what makes you smile...

Went to the Harley factory demo - they were cancelled because it was threatening rain and boy-o-boy did it eventually rain. I can understand because of liability and all, but it did strike me kinda funny.

Went to another local dealer who carries BMW, Honda and Yamaha. They also happened to have an ElectraGlide.

To me, the Wing is the winner. I went back to it over and over and to me it was just more of what I want. I liked the look of the K1200, the fit and finish was superb, the lines were pleasant. Took a while to get it to shift and knowing what ya'll said I was wary of the brakes. I liked the bike and couldn't find anything in particular that bothered me other than it was a bit top heavy as I knew ahead of time. It still, to me, felt like an 800 pound machine in traffic and at low speeds especially. The Harley by far handled best at parking lot speed, but it didn't do much for me on the road and this was a second ride. The Wing seemed to me to do everything well with a minimum of compromise. Lots and lots of power from idle up, it is smooth riding and the handling was very good for me given that I'm not a knee scraper. The BMW was good, but for me and my style of riding - what I want in a bike - it is by far the better choice.

It's nice to know that before you drop 20 grand on something and I owe everybody who responded to my posts and guided me around the forum at least a hearty thank you if not a cool beverage some time when I get to motorcycling across the country.

So - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I don't want anybody to think I believe the Wing is a "superior" machine - I grew up on and love VW's and appreciate solid design - just that for what I need the Wing is the better choice. The BMW engineering and attention to detail is totally, absolutely amazing - no doubt about it.

I wish you all many safe miles and equal smiles!

Find ya on the highways!

Larry Rose

·
Registered
666 Posts
Glad to hear you got what makes you smile.
Stick around the forum.
Lots of good folks here.
Many of which have gone from BMW to the Wing, or from the Wing to BMW.

Its all about the passion and the ride, not the brand.

Keep the rubber side down and ride it like you stole it !!

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
<To me, the Wing is the winner>

If you like to ride, the only thing that is important is that you have something you like to ride.

Have FUN
Bob

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
smile!!!

As long as you smile while riding... you made the right decision!:thumb:

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
30 plus years of success . . . Honda must be doing something right! :) Glad you found (and bought) the bike that whispered "buy me", while the others fumbled over the words.

Still today, my LT speaks to me. And . . . I don't mind making the payments while the snow is 3 feet deep outside the garage door!
That's when you know that you know that you know...

OH! Almost forgot!

One more thing . . .

:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
Good for you, Larry. I think you'll find that all the folks here are just happy that you're on two wheels! Have fun with that Wing. A friend bought one just last week and loves it.

I went back and forth doing test rides of the Wing and the LT. Ended up with the LT, but would have been happy with the Gold Wing. What a great bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again. Part of the fun of riding is meeting such great people! The guys and gals out riding that make it a brotherhood.

Just to clarify - no purchase yet. Razee just sold their last '05 - black, 108 miles, very reasonable price (under $14K). Bu-u-u-t...

Within the next three weeks or so - after Americade - they are expecting an '04, bone stock except for Baker air wings - with around 12,000 miles to be traded in. Owner/purchaser is waiting delivery on his '06. I figure that is going to be a downright reasonably priced ride and it is candy apple red which I love. And it's STOCK to boot. Saw it today as it was in for oil etc. and it is in mint condition. Just get to Amercade and back - PLEASE!!! That salesman will be tired of answering the phone - bet on that :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Congratulations Larry on your new ride. Like someone said, please stick around this board and keep us posted. BUT, Please do us a favor - If you put a teddy bear on the luggage rack - DO NOT TELL US :D .
Good Luck and Ride Safe.
Leon
05 Blue LT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts