BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1421 - 1440 of 1466 Posts

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
561 Posts

Beautiful day for a ride through the Eastern WV back roads.
Lol, looks like I'll have to add WV to my extended list of possible relocation places. Just beautiful! Best of all, there's no white stuff on the ground, as it is in frozen N. Idaho. What were your temps like? When do you usually get your first snow?

Oh, yeah, and that bike is pretty nice, too. You've done a great job. 👍

· Registered
411 Posts
Lol, looks like I'll have to add WV to my extended list of possible relocation places. Just beautiful! Best of all, there's no white stuff on the ground, as it is in frozen N. Idaho. What were your temps like? When do you usually get your first snow?

Oh, yeah, and that bike is pretty nice, too. You've done a great job. 👍
Any of the backroads in WV are a motorcyclist's paradise. Windy 2 lanes all over the state. Yesterday averaged a balmy 66 throughout my ride. Today, the temps are barely going up to 50. We are yet to see the white stuff come through here.

And, thank for the compliments. It is still a WIP. Weekday evenings, I am working on the motorcycle. Friday night, I will put it back together if the weekend weather is nice :D :D

· Registered
2020 BMW R 1250 RT
28 Posts
Hi all!!

My name is Vikki and I am a new RT rider. Coming off an R18 so this bike feels very different. I commute to work daily and so this feels a lot more comfortable.

View attachment 178632
Hey, Vikki - RT rider here, but thinking about getting an R18. Having that as a SECOND bike would be even better, but may not be in the cards right now. If you don't mind me asking, any reason you decided to go the RT route, rather than the R18? I've only looked at them at my local bike-pusher's.

Thanks in advance for any insights,

Adam.

· Registered
2020 BMW R 1250 RT
28 Posts
I have been adding stuff to my 2022 RT: Option 719 Shadow cylinder covers (the blue slider is also available in black), Werks 24" tinted windshield, Pilzmachine frame plugs, Techspec tank grips, Clearwater Billie LED brake light, kept the Russell seat from my 2014 RT.

View attachment 179845
Eric, did that blue slider on the cylinder covers come with the Shadow Option 719 covers? I've only seen them with black sliders. Did you order the old one (the HP, maybe?), or is that the Shadow? That looks amazing!

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
245 Posts
Any of the backroads in WV are a motorcyclist's paradise. Windy 2 lanes all over the state.
You are not kidding, plus you have the triple nickel nearby in OH.. what a fun road that is,, think I'd be riding it every weekend.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Plus this nice 200 mile loop called "History of WV"

Ecoregion Map World Atlas Parallel

And this 218 mile loop called "There and back"

Ecoregion Map World Atlas Design

· Registered
411 Posts

· Registered
2014 R1200RT
27 Posts
Eric, did that blue slider on the cylinder covers come with the Shadow Option 719 covers? I've only seen them with black sliders. Did you order the old one (the HP, maybe?), or is that the Shadow? That looks amazing!
I got the Shadow Option 719 cylinder covers with blue sliders from Revzilla, The little 719 logo is also blue. I was perusing their website trying to figure out how to spend my Zilla Bucks and came across it.

· Premium Member
6,596 Posts
We had our first snow the day before yesterday, and the forecast is calling for up to 9 inches by tomorrow! That means snow plows and salt trucks will be out, and so my riding season ends! I stop riding once there is salt on the road. Salt and aluminum don't mix well.

• Wow
Reactions: kbob12

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
561 Posts
We had our first snow the day before yesterday, and the forecast is calling for up to 9 inches by tomorrow! That means snow plows and salt trucks will be out, and so my riding season ends! I stop riding once there is salt on the road. Salt and aluminum don't mix well.
Lol, well, it's ICE that stopped me. We had our first snow fall about a week or 10 days ago, nothing much, but after the first 3 inches (which mostly melted off), late in the day, another 1/2 inch or so blew in, everything froze, and it's stayed frozen since. It gets just warm enough during the day, maybe low to mid 30'sF, to melt what's on the ground slightly, then it freezes up again at night. Even on the well maintained roads, there's black ice here and there. (I don't know the riding drill for handling black ice on two wheels. 🙄 Slide gracefully on your side?) The less maintained roads flat out have ice flows on 'em. Not tough to drive on with all season radials, but I don't know how one would do it on a motorcycle. I had intended to scoot down to the local gas station and top off the bike for winter with no-alcohol premium, after the first snow melted, but after seeing the roads, I just didn't want to risk it.

Still, I know that there are folks who are effectively 4-season riders (i.e. I've seen some videos of guys riding in Northern Europe on winter roads!). I don't know how they manage, maybe with spikes on the tires or something.

Anyhow, Pad, ya had a pretty good riding season. Time for you to get ready for the next one. God just gave you enough time to rest up, while watching the pretty white stuff fall. 😁

· Registered
2020 BMW R 1250 RT
28 Posts
Primarily a dirt bike racer that got a wild hair and purchased this. We can ride almost year round here in Texas. View attachment 181021
NICE, bro, and congratulations! Austin, TX, here (Georgetown area). Couldn't ride year-round where I came rom because o snow and ice and occasional sub-zero cold. LOVELY bike! RT is the only bike I have now.

Is that a '23?

· Registered
40 Posts
Hey there riders, brand new to the forum. I have no scoot right now! Previous bikes while living in California:
2013 Aprilia Shiver 750
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive lighting

2017 Honda CBR500RA
Sky Wheel Tire Automotive tire Water

But now that I live in North Central Florida, USA there's no mountain twisties to ride! :cry:

Seriously considering picking up a 2014-2016 R1200RT.

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
561 Posts
Hey there riders, brand new to the forum. I have no scoot right now! Previous bikes while living in California:
2013 Aprilia Shiver 750
View attachment 181096

2017 Honda CBR500RA
View attachment 181097

But now that I live in North Central Florida, USA there's no mountain twisties to ride! :cry:

Seriously considering picking up a 2014-2016 R1200RT.
True, but look at the bright side. There are PLENTY of roads North and East of Northern Florida, worth exploring. And, in fact, there are a number of local BMW groups to join up with for rides in the SE region. You're area is rich with opportunity, uhhh, once you get off the bumper-to-bumper freeways. 🤣

As for as the "no bike" thingy, been there, done that, and you're at the right place to find good info about your next bike. Personally, if the money isn't drastically different (and in your budget), I'd avoid the 2014's, and focus on 2017-2018's, again, if you can. Reason's involve early model year issues (i.e. 2014-2018 RT's are known as the 'Wethead" model series), probably resolved by now, but ... there are still reasons to avoid 'em. The 2017-2018 had a mid-model transmission upgrade, plus, I usually avoid any early model year bikes, and target the later bikes in the model year series, as more bugs get worked out after the first couple of years.

Also, there are model's known as "premium", which means that they have all or most of the bells and whistles, i.e. options available. (For me, that solved the problem of deciding which options I wanted, and which I didn't need. It made it easier to compare Beemers as a "commodity", if you eliminate all of that "noise". There's the model RT, year, maybe color, the mileage (lower=better), general condition, and any expensive extras that were added (example: 49L rear top box runs $1500 new/list). That's it. After that, it's apples to apples comparisons, between bikes. Things like tires, are maybe a $200 or $300 wear issue, that I don't care about, since I'd prefer fresh rubber of my choice, anyway. Custom/after market seats are a big price point, too, and you're probably going to want them. Windscreens are subjective, but the OEM screen isn't terrible, and again, they are a relatively low $$ addition (plus, you'll find many used one's available if you give it time, on older model Beemers; another advantage over buying the latest and greatest thing).

Good luck with the search. I'd try to buy before Spring, because prices will firm up as the season heats up. You might find an off season deal, particularly if you're willing to drive or fly to pick it up. (When I look for a new BMW, I'm searching all 50 states.)

· Registered
5 Posts
Hey, Vikki - RT rider here, but thinking about getting an R18. Having that as a SECOND bike would be even better, but may not be in the cards right now. If you don't mind me asking, any reason you decided to go the RT route, rather than the R18? I've only looked at them at my local bike-pusher's.

Thanks in advance for any insights,

Adam.
Hey Adam, apologies for the delayed response - prob missed the email notification.

Well, the R18 is a beautiful motorcycle. If I had the room, and the inclination to have a second, I would (re)acquire one in a heartbeat. However, I had to choose one and it’s primary purpose was daily commuting, and the occasional longer ride (I‘ve never done cross country rides, maybe someday). Anyway, so I did this for about a year on the R18 and while the bike itself is extremely stable and deceptively nimble, the pain points slowly became clearer. I am about 6’ and had the base R18. I did eventually end up getting a Corbin seat but was afraid of going too high in fear of screwing the dynamics. That said, my legs would cramp up often (for other reasons as well), there was literally no wind protection, and the gas tank was too small causing too frequent fill-ups. The lack of luggage space quickly became a hassle, where I would end up using the car instead so that was a big factor as well. I don’t know if you’ve tried one out yet, but compared to an RT, it vibrates a lot more extremely perceptibly (prob by design) which is cool for a weekend garage queen, but gets tiresome on a daily basis.

Bottom line for me I guess, was that I needed something more comfortable and refined, with more lockable luggage space so I could spend longer riding and less time on logistics.

Hope that helps! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

-Vikki

1421 - 1440 of 1466 Posts