BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1321 - 1340 of 1438 Posts

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
520 Posts
Recently joined the forum and picked up a new 2022 a few days ago. Was hoping it would be wearing the Michelin Road 5 tires but unfortunately it was shod with Metzlers.

View attachment 177510
Well, if you're doing it right, you'll burn those tires off quickly, and then you can mount your Road 5's.😁😎 (Or, if you're really serious, just put on the 5's, and sell off the new Metzlers.)

I loved the Metzlers I had, back on the 2005 hexhead RT. Terrific handling tires that lasted about 5K miles. I think I got something like 15K miles plus, with the early generation Michelin Roads. Handling after the soft outer layer wears out kind of sucks, but then again, I was pounding California freeway miles back then, so it didn't really matter.

Pretty little bike. Congrats! Wishing you many safe, fun miles on your new toy.

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
520 Posts

· Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Hello from Christchurch, New Zealand.

I am thrilled to have just got this 2022 RT. It replaces a T120 Bonneville, and joins an RE Himalayan in my garage,

Looking forward to being part of the community for these awesome bikes.

View attachment 178402 View attachment 178403 View attachment 178404
Welcome!!! Nice bike.

I graduated from Canterbury in 1968, and so had lived in the beautiful Christchurch for a few years. Wellington is still my "home" in NZ though.

Reactions: Johna11

· Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the new R1200RT forum, with all the new options available on the New RT such as ESA, BC, cruise and the new stereo system the RT has become BMW's latest Luxury Sports Tourer.
As you can see by all the R1200RT posts transfered here, this forum has a great head start. If you have a question about the new RT or have the knowledge to anwser a few this is the place.
What does your R1200RT look like? - Give an intro and post a picture of your ride. Again Welcome - Enjoy the Ride :D
Marc Lee in Milwaukee, WI USA Earth Milky Way

2014 R1200RT Premium (or highly optioned)

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
520 Posts
Hi all!!

My name is Vikki and I am a new RT rider. Coming off an R18 so this bike feels very different. I commute to work daily and so this feels a lot more comfortable.
Welcome to the RT/touring world, Vikki. A few additional facts from you, can help us with context. Like, what part of the world you live, work, and commute from. What's the year of your new RT (i.e. is it 2022, or a "new-to-Vikki" older model)? I haven't ridden an R18, so I can't address the difference as far as handling is concerned. However, your weather and wind protection should certainly be improved, RT over R18.

Regardless, most RT's can be improved upon with some customized "farkles" (what some of us US Beemer riders call add-on's, gadgets, and etc.). The first area might be the seat, i.e. you can research other threads to find your favorite options. If you're from the cruiser world, and don't appreciate the forward, chin over the tank riding position as much as the further laid back cruisers, there are "bar backs" that can raise and move the handle bars back, to give you a bit more upright position. Some of us add LED headlights (for the older RT's, I think the 2022 already has LED headlights), for improved visibility and lighting. Many change the stock windscreen for improved wind protection. You might find the bike great as is, but just browse around a bit, and you'll probably find some farkle that you just "have to have" to make your own RT ~~ perfect ~~, for you. 🙃😁

Most of all, we wish you many enjoyable miles, and stay safe! 👍🍻

· Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the RT/touring world, Vikki. A few additional facts from you, can help us with context. Like, what part of the world you live, work, and commute from. What's the year of your new RT (i.e. is it 2022, or a "new-to-Vikki" older model)? I haven't ridden an R18, so I can't address the difference as far as handling is concerned. However, your weather and wind protection should certainly be improved, RT over R18.

Regardless, most RT's can be improved upon with some customized "farkles" (what some of us US Beemer riders call add-on's, gadgets, and etc.). The first area might be the seat, i.e. you can research other threads to find your favorite options. If you're from the cruiser world, and don't appreciate the forward, chin over the tank riding position as much as the further laid back cruisers, there are "bar backs" that can raise and move the handle bars back, to give you a bit more upright position. Some of us add LED headlights (for the older RT's, I think the 2022 already has LED headlights), for improved visibility and lighting. Many change the stock windscreen for improved wind protection. You might find the bike great as is, but just browse around a bit, and you'll probably find some farkle that you just "have to have" to make your own RT ~~ perfect ~~, for you. 🙃😁

Most of all, we wish you many enjoyable miles, and stay safe! 👍🍻
Wow Scott, thank you for your response - that is quite the welcome! :)

I am in San Diego California and my commute is about 25 miles round trip every day. I used to ride a lot but stopped around 2005ish. Just got back on a couple of years ago. Had an F900XR at first, then got an R18, and now the RT. Loved all three bikes but I find the RT was the one I was always looking for. The 900 was really a getting back into it experience although it is a nice motorcycle. What can I say about the R18. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it and traded in the 900 for it. This was about a year ago and it was an absolutely emotional decision. Anyway, 6K miles later I was tired of the low seat, the harsh suspension and the weight of the thing; so much so that I started driving to work and felt terrible about it. Anyway, the RT always seemed a little out of my budget but I was fortunate to find a base model at a dealership in Temecula. Asked for a test ride and ended up buying it that very day. I think I finally made a sound decision where my emotions weren't necessarily in control lol. The R18 is a beautiful, beautiful motorcycle but just not for me right now. Maybe I'll get back on one someday but looking forward to putting a lot of miles on the RT.

Haven't really felt the need for accessories yet, since it already comes with so much more than the R18 in terms of luggage and comfort. First thing I'll prob do are the Darla lights (mine didn't have the aux lights since it was a base).

Glad to be here and hope to be a part of this community for a long time.

Thanks for your message!
-Vikki

Edit: Oh it's a 2022.

· Registered
10 Posts
Wow Scott, thank you for your response - that is quite the welcome! :)

I am in San Diego California and my commute is about 25 miles round trip every day. I used to ride a lot but stopped around 2005ish. Just got back on a couple of years ago. Had an F900XR at first, then got an R18, and now the RT. Loved all three bikes but I find the RT was the one I was always looking for. The 900 was really a getting back into it experience although it is a nice motorcycle. What can I say about the R18. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it and traded in the 900 for it. This was about a year ago and it was an absolutely emotional decision. Anyway, 6K miles later I was tired of the low seat, the harsh suspension and the weight of the thing; so much so that I started driving to work and felt terrible about it. Anyway, the RT always seemed a little out of my budget but I was fortunate to find a base model at a dealership in Temecula. Asked for a test ride and ended up buying it that very day. I think I finally made a sound decision where my emotions weren't necessarily in control lol. The R18 is a beautiful, beautiful motorcycle but just not for me right now. Maybe I'll get back on one someday but looking forward to putting a lot of miles on the RT.

Haven't really felt the need for accessories yet, since it already comes with so much more than the R18 in terms of luggage and comfort. First thing I'll prob do are the Darla lights (mine didn't have the aux lights since it was a base).

Glad to be here and hope to be a part of this community for a long time.

Thanks for your message!
-Vikki

Edit: Oh it's a 2022.
What are you using for a tail trunk and how is it mounted?
Thanks.

· Registered
3 Posts
What are you using for a tail trunk and how is it mounted?
Thanks.
It's a Givi Dolomiti 46l mounted on a Givi Monokey plate built for the RT. I had it on my older 900XR, it was just sitting around so decided to use it on the RT, and as a backrest for my daughter (for the one day a year she'll want to go for a ride :))

and

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
520 Posts
I think I finally made a sound decision where my emotions weren't necessarily in control lol.
-Vikki
Umm, that would probably make you the very FIRST Beemer rider to accomplish that. Emotion has got to be part of the equation with these kinds of things, and that's not a male vs female thingy, either. You did well.

I finally gave in (background snapshot: grew up riding dirt, rode street as a poor college student, road street after another Navy Officer in my unit was transferred and had to get rid of a bike, returned to dirt when the kids hit 7 & 8 yrs old, but no street since 1980's) about 2005 after hellish commutes from Oceanside to SD, OC/LA, or Riverside, and picked up an RT-P to return to riding (i.e. I figured, heck, at least they'll see me when they run me over on the B&W RT-P). 🙃😁 Upgraded to a used hexhead when the opportunity came up, and rode that to about 2014/2015, when I moved to Idaho, sans bike. (Just bought another 2018 RT last fall/winter.) So, I understand the California commute situation. I couldn't have made it through the last decade of commuting without that "relief" of riding home on I5 on the RT. Coming in from Irvine past Camp Pendleton around sunset every day (yeah, I worked a ridiculous amount of hours), overlooking the ocean, made every bad day, better. 😉

1321 - 1340 of 1438 Posts