BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1281 - 1300 of 1330 Posts

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
261 Posts
View attachment 176495

The first R1250RT to be delivered in Texas on Nov 30, 2018, about three years later. Still loving it 😁
Dang! That thing looks BRAND NEW! Didn't they tell you that you actually have to RIDE these things? Didn't they inform you about the fine print in the BMW contract clause, enabling them to repossess new RT's that aren't actually ridden, to give them to more deserving riders (i.e. someone like me)?! 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously, it's a great looking bike, looks impeccably maintained, and I can see that you added a custom seat, and windscreen, too. At the moment, the only thing that I'm more envious about other than your beautiful BMW RT, is the sun shinning around it. I wish you many safe and happy riding miles! I hope to get my (new to me) 2018 R1200RT out in the Spring, because she and I are still mostly strangers at this point, since I received her in late October.

Merry Christmas, my friend, from frozen NW Idaho! 🙃😁

🍻

·
Registered
2015 RT-P
8 Posts
Hello from Tassie! ... glad to join this RT forum, after having scored this new-to-me 2015 RT-P last month. Coming from F650GS/PD,via K100RS & R1200 C & GS, including 4 years on RnineT & Sertao, I just couldn't resist when this amazing deal came up. High mileage (98000 km), but in amazing condition. As my mate put it: "... you had me at 'heated seat' :)
As my wife (avid Scrambler Ducatista) sometimes likes to enjoy just being a pillion rider, first mods had to be creating a simple swap-out pillion seat in place of the P-topbox, plus foot rests (easily reversed). That worked out ok, her experience better than expected.

My first RT, I was amazed to find out how real it is, when other riders state that all the RT's bulk & weight falls away once the wheels are turning! Makes it so easy on the rider! Why didn't I try this earlier? Ah, of course - the price. This one was a bargain I didn't want to miss out on. Cool eh :cool:

Anyway, that's my hello to the forum!
Cheers all!!

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
I had always wanted to ride to Tasmania! If it wasn't for COVID, I would have done it already! Now, I don't think that it will ever happen for me.

Reactions: Thylo

·
Registered
2015 RT-P
8 Posts
Hang in there PadG, even the Brits realized Tassie is totally worth it. Once things normalize (next year after August or so :rolleyes: ... :LOL:) you too could be having a blast here ... see >>>

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dang! That thing looks BRAND NEW! Didn't they tell you that you actually have to RIDE these things? Didn't they inform you about the fine print in the BMW contract clause, enabling them to repossess new RT's that aren't actually ridden, to give them to more deserving riders (i.e. someone like me)?! 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously, it's a great looking bike, looks impeccably maintained, and I can see that you added a custom seat, and windscreen, too. At the moment, the only thing that I'm more envious about other than your beautiful BMW RT, is the sun shinning around it. I wish you many safe and happy riding miles! I hope to get my (new to me) 2018 R1200RT out in the Spring, because she and I are still mostly strangers at this point, since I received her in late October.

Merry Christmas, my friend, from frozen NW Idaho! 🙃😁

🍻
It's the stock 719 seat. Only the windshield and valve cover protectors are not stock. The color matched trunk is from my old 2005 R1200RT. And yeah, not too many miles since March 2020. The bike was my commuting vehicle when the company I work for went 95% of all employees working from home. Add on cancelled rallies and trips and you have really low miles. In fact, in the last two years, I've ridden less than I have since I first starting riding in 1982. The good thing is, it's still pretty much brand new. This is good because I won't by a new RT in it's current form. The way the new TFT, Nav setup is, I'll buy a Goldwing before I get a new RT. BTW, I took the pic shortly after washing it. Prior to this, the last time it was washed was sometime last spring I think... might have been last year... I can't really remember.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello everyone.

Very proud owner of the 2021 R1250 RT up in British Columbia, Canada. I'm obsessing right now as we are in deep winter. It arrived late in the summer and only managed 6000 KM, but so far I love it. It was a technological leapfrog from my 2011 R1200RT!

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive parking light Vehicle

Happy New Year everyone. Glad to be part of this forum.

Blair
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
261 Posts
Hello everyone.

Very proud owner of the 2021 R1250 RT up in British Columbia, Canada. I'm obsessing right now as we are in deep winter. It arrived late in the summer and only managed 6000 KM, but so far I love it. It was a technological leapfrog from my 2011 R1200RT!

Happy New Year everyone. Glad to be part of this forum.

Blair
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Ahh, Canada, home of the 2 month riding season. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I didn't get my 2018 until late October, early November really, by the time I got it transported, titled, and so forth. Then I discovered my riding gear didn't make it with the move in 2015, so I was riding with a 15 year old helmet, and kind of "bare" otherwise. I got two quick rides in, here in Northern Idaho, just a taste of the bike. So, I definitely feel your "obsession". (Meanwhile, I'm farkling up a storm, and replenishing gear. Just got the helmets in before Christmas. Gonna wait until about -30 lbs before I buy the body armor/jacket/pants.)

Your 2021 RT may be a leapfrog, but from my 2005 to the 2018, I've still got technological whiplash, and probably will for a while.

Congrats on your scoot. It's a beautiful bike. Hope you can make up for lost time soon. 👍🍻

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ahh, Canada, home of the 2 month riding season. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I didn't get my 2018 until late October, early November really, by the time I got it transported, titled, and so forth. Then I discovered my riding gear didn't make it with the move in 2015, so I was riding with a 15 year old helmet, and kind of "bare" otherwise. I got two quick rides in, here in Northern Idaho, just a taste of the bike. So, I definitely feel your "obsession". (Meanwhile, I'm farkling up a storm, and replenishing gear. Just got the helmets in before Christmas. Gonna wait until about -30 lbs before I buy the body armor/jacket/pants.)

Your 2021 RT may be a leapfrog, but from my 2005 to the 2018, I've still got technological whiplash, and probably will for a while.

Congrats on your scoot. It's a beautiful bike. Hope you can make up for lost time soon. 👍🍻
Hey Scott, great to meet you. I think the biggest jump forward is the liquid cooled engine. I had no idea it was so much more peppy than the air cooled. Winter sucks, but I'll be down your way this summer, assuming they will keep the borders open!!

Cheers.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
261 Posts
Hey Scott, great to meet you. I think the biggest jump forward is the liquid cooled engine. I had no idea it was so much more peppy than the air cooled. Winter sucks, but I'll be down your way this summer, assuming they will keep the borders open!!

Cheers.
I've got an extra bed. (Well, it's a dog's bed, and it IS in the garage, but hey, it's all yours!! 🤣🤣) Seriously, let me know if you're coming this way. My spring is pretty busy with planned construction on my house, but I may be able to break away some time for a ride, assuming I can regain some skills lost over the past six years (along with my riding gear, lol).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got an extra bed. (Well, it's a dog's bed, and it IS in the garage, but hey, it's all yours!! 🤣🤣) Seriously, let me know if you're coming this way. My spring is pretty busy with planned construction on my house, but I may be able to break away some time for a ride, assuming I can regain some skills lost over the past six years (along with my riding gear, lol).
Hey, that is absolutely awesome. Thank you so much! Lets keep in touch :cool:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi All. Just brought home my new 2021 yesterday and it's amazing. Such a huge upgrade from my 2007 - I honestly didn't expect it to be THIS much better. I'm lucky to be in the San Francisco Bay Area, so no need to wait out the snow ;) Excited to get out on the road.

Here are some pics (don't judge the garage, it was a challenge to make room for two bikes).

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle
Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
261 Posts
Very happy for ya, Shooks. I was tempted to leave my (new to me) 2018 RT at my son's house in Sacramento, so I could do some winter riding this year. I bought it in Long Beach, and if it weren't for the crazy DMV/Sales Tax policies between CA and Idaho, I probably would have picked it up at the dealership in Long Beach, and road it up North, and done exactly that. It turned out that it was simpler and probably lower cost (certainly, less administrative hassle) just to have it shipped up here to Northern Idaho, where it now sits, on a battery tender, waiting for Spring and my schedule to clear.

Beautiful bike. Get out there and have some (SAFE!!!) fun!

(Maybe I should relay my experiences riding a BMW RT-P for a couple of years, 'cause you're certainly gonna experience something similar, with the black and white paint scheme. Plus: More people will see ya. Negative: Many people will automatically hate you, either for "being pretending to be a cop", or maybe because they hate cops. Some maniacs will even try to run you down - thank God these bikes are quick and nimble, because you may need all of that.)

You're a Beemer rider, so you know the score, but I'd consider adding some auxiliary rear (strobe) lighting for brakes and turn signals, e.g. Hyperlights, or similar. You should already have good LED lighting up front, but adding there, too, can't hurt. Adding those lights hanging just below the mirrors will really enhance visibility on a black and white RT, trust me on that. 🤣

Time to farkle that puppy up!! 😁

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very happy for ya, Shooks. I was tempted to leave my (new to me) 2018 RT at my son's house in Sacramento, so I could do some winter riding this year. I bought it in Long Beach, and if it weren't for the crazy DMV/Sales Tax policies between CA and Idaho, I probably would have picked it up at the dealership in Long Beach, and road it up North, and done exactly that. It turned out that it was simpler and probably lower cost (certainly, less administrative hassle) just to have it shipped up here to Northern Idaho, where it now sits, on a battery tender, waiting for Spring and my schedule to clear.

Beautiful bike. Get out there and have some (SAFE!!!) fun!

(Maybe I should relay my experiences riding a BMW RT-P for a couple of years, 'cause you're certainly gonna experience something similar, with the black and white paint scheme. Plus: More people will see ya. Negative: Many people will automatically hate you, either for "being pretending to be a cop", or maybe because they hate cops. Some maniacs will even try to run you down - thank God these bikes are quick and nimble, because you may need all of that.)

You're a Beemer rider, so you know the score, but I'd consider adding some auxiliary rear (strobe) lighting for brakes and turn signals, e.g. Hyperlights, or similar. You should already have good LED lighting up front, but adding there, too, can't hurt. Adding those lights hanging just below the mirrors will really enhance visibility on a black and white RT, trust me on that. 🤣

Time to farkle that puppy up!! 😁
Congrats, Shooks.

I have to agree with Scott, as I have already been mistaken for law enforcement several times. It is kinda funny as you approach a vehicle on the highway and them immediately drop their speed by 10 or 15 and start to behave. Then you blow right by them and they are kinda confused, LOL

I also agree with Scott re: auxiliary lighting. I went with Clearwater Darlas with amber covers on the front, and a brake free light on the back of my helmet.

I've used clearwater lights on 3 BMWs and they overdeliver on quality every time. The brakefree helmet tail light makes me feel much more visible, and I get a lot of comments about it from other rides and drivers.

Enjoy that beautiful bike. I'm headed out to shovel more snow !!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Beautiful bike Alrt

Reactions: Alrt
1281 - 1300 of 1330 Posts