BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1,261 - 1,280 of 1,484 Posts
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

This was my first ride two days after picking up my new-to-me 2018 RT at the nearby Washington state loading dock, trailering it to Idaho for vehicle inspection, registration, etc., and ..ah... figuring out how a few things worked. Took a quick ride around the lake, and then went up the hill behind my house for this shot. I love the look of the sports screen, but I've already replaced that with a scratched up stocker I picked up on Ebay. My 6'2" body needs the additional wind protection up here in the USA Northwest.

So far, it's much improved over my last hexhead RT, shifting be so smooth I was constantly riding the clutch. However, I've been out of riding for 5-6 years, so I'm "retraining" quite a bit, too. I hope to get a few more quick rides in before I put her to bed for the winter. Half of my riding gear didn't survive my 2015 move, so I kind of feel naked riding without body armor, and a 15 year old helmet, which is another reason I won't do much serious riding before the white stuff drops in. So, I've got the winter to gear up and add the farkles, to be ready this coming spring.

(I also added a 49L matching top case into the dealer purchase, but I only use that when I ride two-up with the wife, or when I need the storage.)

View attachment 175873

This was my first ride two days after picking up my new-to-me 2018 RT at the nearby Washington state loading dock, trailering it to Idaho for vehicle inspection, registration, etc., and ..ah... figuring out how a few things worked. Took a quick ride around the lake, and then went up the hill behind my house for this shot. I love the look of the sports screen, but I've already replaced that with a scratched up stocker I picked up on Ebay. My 6'2" body needs the additional wind protection up here in the USA Northwest.

So far, it's much improved over my last hexhead RT, shifting be so smooth I was constantly riding the clutch. However, I've been out of riding for 5-6 years, so I'm "retraining" quite a bit, too. I hope to get a few more quick rides in before I put her to bed for the winter. Half of my riding gear didn't survive my 2015 move, so I kind of feel naked riding without body armor, and a 15 year old helmet, which is another reason I won't do much serious riding before the white stuff drops in. So, I've got the winter to gear up and add the farkles, to be ready this coming spring.

(I also added a 49L matching top case into the dealer purchase, but I only use that when I ride two-up with the wife, or when I need the storage.)
Scott that was the same. as mine and same year as well . I painted mine white and have to admit pulling the panels off to save money was the best thing I did, but remembering how they went back took a bit longer after 4 weeks off the road sitting in the garage.I love the Black engine and great wheels on the sports models.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive parking light Vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank Automotive tire

Reactions: RTBob
Scott that was the same. as mine and same year as well . I painted mine white and have to admit pulling the panels off to save money was the best thing I did, but remembering how they went back took a bit longer after 4 weeks off the road sitting in the garage.I love the Black engine and great wheels on the sports models.
White's definitely growing on me. However, the first BMW I had was black and white (i.e. an RT-P), so I think I'll stick with red for a while. They are ALL pretty to me, mostly so, when they are clean. šŸ˜ (Now, of course, the GS's only really look pretty when they're covered with dirt, as in their natural element.) šŸ¤£ The only bias I had against red was that my wife's Ford Edge is red, i.e. too much "red" in the driveway.

(Funny back story there: My wife's previous car was a Hyundai Sonata. It was her first (i.e. all her own) really "new" car, so I wanted it to be exactly what she wants. Have you ever known a woman to be able to make a decision on color? šŸ™„ Well, after HOURS of indecision, she settled on some pale purple-silverish color, which was nice for her, but ...ah... not quite MY thingy when I had to drive it. However, come delivery, they parked her car next to an identical RED Sonata, and she had googly eyes for the red one as she drove away from the dealership. From that point on, she wished she had the red one. So, when I was able to unexpectedly pick up a brand new Ford Edge Limited for about half price, i.e. $20K USD, the fact that it just happened to be red, sealed the deal. But, that purchase is yet another back story, and I think I've run my limit of "sea stories" for this thread. )šŸ˜

ąøŖąø§ąø±ąøŖąø”ąøµąø„ąø£ąø±ąøš

Reactions: prasarndu
Love my new-to-me 2016 RT! Nice upgrade from my 1998 RT, which served me very well for many years. Previous scoots include the 1998 RT, 1998 R1100R 75th Anniversary Edition, 1982 R100, 1976 R60/6, Hodaka Wombat and a handful of other dirt bikes.
Oh, almost forgot about the 1965 Honda Dream that I used and eventually restored. Still in service at a friend's house, although I dont expect I will ever get it back. His daughter is very fond of it, so she can use it and restore it for someone else to love in another 20 years.

ąøŖąø§ąø±ąøŖąø”ąøµą¹€ąøŠą¹ˆąø™ąøąø±ąø™ąø„ąø£ąø±ąøš
"BMW Motorcycle" is a universal language translator. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

ąø§ąø²ąø‡ąø¢ąø²ąø‡ąø”ą¹‰ąø²ąø™ąø‚ą¹‰ąø²ąø‡ąø„ąø‡ šŸ‘šŸ»
(Was supposed to say "Keep the rubber side down", as in keep the motorcycle right side up, i.e. stay safe, but the translator murdered it. šŸ™„)

"BMW Motorcycle" is a universal language translator. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

ąø§ąø²ąø‡ąø¢ąø²ąø‡ąø”ą¹‰ąø²ąø™ąø‚ą¹‰ąø²ąø‡ąø„ąø‡ šŸ‘šŸ»
(Was supposed to say "Keep the rubber side down", as in keep the motorcycle right side up, i.e. stay safe, but the translator murdered it. šŸ™„)
Ahhhh . . . Google Translate!

As for BMW, you may have seen in other threads, but I am totally done with the brand! Even though I think that the RT is the very best bike in its class, and fits my riding style perfectly, I had been, at best, quite neutral about BMW, until this year. My 2021 RT is the best RTs that I have ridden, but at 75, I think that my riding days will soon be over, and I will go on to something else.

To keep inline with this thread, I don't think that I had posted a picture of my '21 RT here, and so I will do that now. But first a bonus - my very first ride, which was in 1962, a very well used 1950 Triumph Thunderbird (that was in New Zealand):

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

In contrast to my present ride. This photo was taken just a few months ago, part way along the Skyline Drive, as I made my way along the full length plus the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway:

Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

Hi All,

First time BMW rider from easter Washington state. Just picked up 2009 with 41k miles on the clock. Sure making winter riding more pleasant than on my KLR :) Looking forward to doing some long trips come spring.
Hi ya Doug.

Beautiful ride. Hope it brings you good fortune, with many trouble free miles of fun.

There's a couple of us out this way (Spokane-Coeur d'Alene area), but then "Eastern WA" is big territory, and you could be four hours away. Another rider and I have talked about having a Spring get together for safety refresher training (i.e. slow speed maneuvering, not sure what all we'll do), so let's stay in touch. I'm over on the bmwrt.com forum, as well. Lots of good maintenance tips on both of these forums, plus the bmwmoa.com forum as well, FYI.

My bike is more or less parked until Spring. Not a fan of riding a motorcycle in icy conditions, I'm just funny that way. šŸ˜

Merry Christmas, and have a great New Years holiday! šŸ‘

Hi Scott,

Sounds like a good idea. I am really just getting back into motorcycling after about 15 years. Picked up a new KLR earlier this year and now the RT. My "Skills" could definitely use some tuning lol. I am just 90 miles south of you guys in Clarkston. Yes pls loop me in on that or any other group rides you guys might be planning. None of my friends ride so I have been solo so far.

Thx and happy holidays,
doug

ENVY, ENVY, ENVY, envy, bad case of envy ....

Only thing that could be better was a 2022 GS parked right next to itšŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£.

I wish you many SAFE, and trouble free miles of roadway, for your new prize. Congrats!

šŸ»

1,261 - 1,280 of 1,484 Posts