BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

This was my first ride two days after picking up my new-to-me 2018 RT at the nearby Washington state loading dock, trailering it to Idaho for vehicle inspection, registration, etc., and ..ah... figuring out how a few things worked. Took a quick ride around the lake, and then went up the hill behind my house for this shot. I love the look of the sports screen, but I've already replaced that with a scratched up stocker I picked up on Ebay. My 6'2" body needs the additional wind protection up here in the USA Northwest.

So far, it's much improved over my last hexhead RT, shifting be so smooth I was constantly riding the clutch. However, I've been out of riding for 5-6 years, so I'm "retraining" quite a bit, too. I hope to get a few more quick rides in before I put her to bed for the winter. Half of my riding gear didn't survive my 2015 move, so I kind of feel naked riding without body armor, and a 15 year old helmet, which is another reason I won't do much serious riding before the white stuff drops in. So, I've got the winter to gear up and add the farkles, to be ready this coming spring.

(I also added a 49L matching top case into the dealer purchase, but I only use that when I ride two-up with the wife, or when I need the storage.)

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Scott that was the same. as mine and same year as well . I painted mine white and have to admit pulling the panels off to save money was the best thing I did, but remembering how they went back took a bit longer after 4 weeks off the road sitting in the garage.I love the Black engine and great wheels on the sports models.
White's definitely growing on me. However, the first BMW I had was black and white (i.e. an RT-P), so I think I'll stick with red for a while. They are ALL pretty to me, mostly so, when they are clean. 馃槒 (Now, of course, the GS's only really look pretty when they're covered with dirt, as in their natural element.) 馃ぃ The only bias I had against red was that my wife's Ford Edge is red, i.e. too much "red" in the driveway.

(Funny back story there: My wife's previous car was a Hyundai Sonata. It was her first (i.e. all her own) really "new" car, so I wanted it to be exactly what she wants. Have you ever known a woman to be able to make a decision on color? 馃檮 Well, after HOURS of indecision, she settled on some pale purple-silverish color, which was nice for her, but ...ah... not quite MY thingy when I had to drive it. However, come delivery, they parked her car next to an identical RED Sonata, and she had googly eyes for the red one as she drove away from the dealership. From that point on, she wished she had the red one. So, when I was able to unexpectedly pick up a brand new Ford Edge Limited for about half price, i.e. $20K USD, the fact that it just happened to be red, sealed the deal. But, that purchase is yet another back story, and I think I've run my limit of "sea stories" for this thread. )馃榿

Reactions: Ultra54

Registered
2018 R1200RT
喔抚喔编釜喔斷傅喙喔娻箞喔權竵喔编笝喔勦福喔编笟
"BMW Motorcycle" is a universal language translator. 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

喔о覆喔囙涪喔侧竾喔斷箟喔侧笝喔傕箟喔侧竾喔ム竾 馃憤馃嵒
(Was supposed to say "Keep the rubber side down", as in keep the motorcycle right side up, i.e. stay safe, but the translator murdered it. 馃檮)

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Hi All,

First time BMW rider from easter Washington state. Just picked up 2009 with 41k miles on the clock. Sure making winter riding more pleasant than on my KLR :) Looking forward to doing some long trips come spring.
Hi ya Doug.

Beautiful ride. Hope it brings you good fortune, with many trouble free miles of fun.

There's a couple of us out this way (Spokane-Coeur d'Alene area), but then "Eastern WA" is big territory, and you could be four hours away. Another rider and I have talked about having a Spring get together for safety refresher training (i.e. slow speed maneuvering, not sure what all we'll do), so let's stay in touch. I'm over on the bmwrt.com forum, as well. Lots of good maintenance tips on both of these forums, plus the bmwmoa.com forum as well, FYI.

My bike is more or less parked until Spring. Not a fan of riding a motorcycle in icy conditions, I'm just funny that way. 馃槒

Merry Christmas, and have a great New Years holiday! 馃憤

Registered
2018 R1200RT
ENVY, ENVY, ENVY, envy, bad case of envy ....

Only thing that could be better was a 2022 GS parked right next to it馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ.

I wish you many SAFE, and trouble free miles of roadway, for your new prize. Congrats!

馃嵒

Reactions: 1More

Registered
2018 R1200RT
View attachment 176495

The first R1250RT to be delivered in Texas on Nov 30, 2018, about three years later. Still loving it 馃榿
Dang! That thing looks BRAND NEW! Didn't they tell you that you actually have to RIDE these things? Didn't they inform you about the fine print in the BMW contract clause, enabling them to repossess new RT's that aren't actually ridden, to give them to more deserving riders (i.e. someone like me)?! 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Seriously, it's a great looking bike, looks impeccably maintained, and I can see that you added a custom seat, and windscreen, too. At the moment, the only thing that I'm more envious about other than your beautiful BMW RT, is the sun shinning around it. I wish you many safe and happy riding miles! I hope to get my (new to me) 2018 R1200RT out in the Spring, because she and I are still mostly strangers at this point, since I received her in late October.

Merry Christmas, my friend, from frozen NW Idaho! 馃檭馃榿

馃嵒

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Hello everyone.

Very proud owner of the 2021 R1250 RT up in British Columbia, Canada. I'm obsessing right now as we are in deep winter. It arrived late in the summer and only managed 6000 KM, but so far I love it. It was a technological leapfrog from my 2011 R1200RT!

Happy New Year everyone. Glad to be part of this forum.

Blair
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Ahh, Canada, home of the 2 month riding season. 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

I didn't get my 2018 until late October, early November really, by the time I got it transported, titled, and so forth. Then I discovered my riding gear didn't make it with the move in 2015, so I was riding with a 15 year old helmet, and kind of "bare" otherwise. I got two quick rides in, here in Northern Idaho, just a taste of the bike. So, I definitely feel your "obsession". (Meanwhile, I'm farkling up a storm, and replenishing gear. Just got the helmets in before Christmas. Gonna wait until about -30 lbs before I buy the body armor/jacket/pants.)

Your 2021 RT may be a leapfrog, but from my 2005 to the 2018, I've still got technological whiplash, and probably will for a while.

Congrats on your scoot. It's a beautiful bike. Hope you can make up for lost time soon. 馃憤馃嵒

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Hey Scott, great to meet you. I think the biggest jump forward is the liquid cooled engine. I had no idea it was so much more peppy than the air cooled. Winter sucks, but I'll be down your way this summer, assuming they will keep the borders open!!

Cheers.
I've got an extra bed. (Well, it's a dog's bed, and it IS in the garage, but hey, it's all yours!! 馃ぃ馃ぃ) Seriously, let me know if you're coming this way. My spring is pretty busy with planned construction on my house, but I may be able to break away some time for a ride, assuming I can regain some skills lost over the past six years (along with my riding gear, lol).

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Very happy for ya, Shooks. I was tempted to leave my (new to me) 2018 RT at my son's house in Sacramento, so I could do some winter riding this year. I bought it in Long Beach, and if it weren't for the crazy DMV/Sales Tax policies between CA and Idaho, I probably would have picked it up at the dealership in Long Beach, and road it up North, and done exactly that. It turned out that it was simpler and probably lower cost (certainly, less administrative hassle) just to have it shipped up here to Northern Idaho, where it now sits, on a battery tender, waiting for Spring and my schedule to clear.

Beautiful bike. Get out there and have some (SAFE!!!) fun!

(Maybe I should relay my experiences riding a BMW RT-P for a couple of years, 'cause you're certainly gonna experience something similar, with the black and white paint scheme. Plus: More people will see ya. Negative: Many people will automatically hate you, either for "being pretending to be a cop", or maybe because they hate cops. Some maniacs will even try to run you down - thank God these bikes are quick and nimble, because you may need all of that.)

You're a Beemer rider, so you know the score, but I'd consider adding some auxiliary rear (strobe) lighting for brakes and turn signals, e.g. Hyperlights, or similar. You should already have good LED lighting up front, but adding there, too, can't hurt. Adding those lights hanging just below the mirrors will really enhance visibility on a black and white RT, trust me on that. 馃ぃ

Time to farkle that puppy up!! 馃榿

Reactions: shooks

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Picked her up a week ago today. Been riding an RT for a few years, but this is my first personal bike.
View attachment 176942
I just like your BMWLT profile name. 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ Was that just off-hours creativity, or is it related to the job.

Are you retired, or still on the job?

You're about 4 hours away, but as BMW riders go, that's relatively close, close enough to be considered "nearby". 馃槒 There's another rider who's a retired motor officer over in Spokane, who I met online via another BMW forum (bmwrt.com). Since I just bought my 2018 RT, and am returning after a half dozen years off, we're intending on getting together in the Spring to do some riding maneuver practicing (TBD, nothing firm yet). He does it every Spring, and I NEED to. 馃槚 (My left ankle has become a problem since I was last on a bike; need to adjust my riding habits accordingly.)

Anyhow, congrats on your new bike. Sounds like you've earned it, too! 馃憤 I'd be envious, but my new-to-me BMW is the most technologically advanced motorcycle I've ever ridden. Don't know if I could handle a 2022.馃檭馃榿 I'm grateful for what the Lord has provided.

馃嵒

Registered
2018 R1200RT

mirror mount
Well, if one doesn't have $1000+ for a pair of front lights, you can get these brackets (and probably other source, for even less), and find other, perfectly adequate 12V running lights to mount on them. FYI.

This are $99.00

And, I haven't even started "trying" yet. I'm confident a better search will provide alternate brackets and lights.

• Haha
Reactions: Gomoca

Registered
2018 R1200RT
I should have added to my last post, that well known adage: "Everyone knows the only thing cheap about a BMW motorcycle is the owner ....", 'cause that would be me. 馃檭馃榿馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Big thank you to everyone on this forum. I gained a wealth of information before collecting my new bike yesterday. If nothing else, it ensured I pushed to get the latest firmware installed on the TFT. 馃榿

Traded my 4 year old GS for this beautiful nearly new RT with just 780 miles on the clock. The 100 mile trip home became more like 150 and I had a smile on my face all the way鈥 Excellent service from North Oxford Motorrad in the U.K.
BEAUTIFUL bike. Congrats!

While I like your bike, what I'll really be envying are the rides you will take throughout the UK, and perhaps other locations throughout Europe, as well. A dozen years ago, I had a dream of riding a Beemer throughout Europe, but things in Europe have changed, and there aren't many European countries I'd care to be out on my own, me and my motorcycle. I've got plenty of terra firma in the USA yet to investigate (and ...hmmm... some of those places are now "no go" for me, too.馃檮) I guess that comes with getting older.

Have fun this summer on your new scoot, and really, careful-as-she-goes, stay safe! (Post some ride pictures!)

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Recently joined the forum and picked up a new 2022 a few days ago. Was hoping it would be wearing the Michelin Road 5 tires but unfortunately it was shod with Metzlers.

View attachment 177510
Well, if you're doing it right, you'll burn those tires off quickly, and then you can mount your Road 5's.馃榿馃槑 (Or, if you're really serious, just put on the 5's, and sell off the new Metzlers.)

I loved the Metzlers I had, back on the 2005 hexhead RT. Terrific handling tires that lasted about 5K miles. I think I got something like 15K miles plus, with the early generation Michelin Roads. Handling after the soft outer layer wears out kind of sucks, but then again, I was pounding California freeway miles back then, so it didn't really matter.

Pretty little bike. Congrats! Wishing you many safe, fun miles on your new toy.

Reactions: Fast1

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Reactions: Johna11

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Hi all!!

My name is Vikki and I am a new RT rider. Coming off an R18 so this bike feels very different. I commute to work daily and so this feels a lot more comfortable.
Welcome to the RT/touring world, Vikki. A few additional facts from you, can help us with context. Like, what part of the world you live, work, and commute from. What's the year of your new RT (i.e. is it 2022, or a "new-to-Vikki" older model)? I haven't ridden an R18, so I can't address the difference as far as handling is concerned. However, your weather and wind protection should certainly be improved, RT over R18.

Regardless, most RT's can be improved upon with some customized "farkles" (what some of us US Beemer riders call add-on's, gadgets, and etc.). The first area might be the seat, i.e. you can research other threads to find your favorite options. If you're from the cruiser world, and don't appreciate the forward, chin over the tank riding position as much as the further laid back cruisers, there are "bar backs" that can raise and move the handle bars back, to give you a bit more upright position. Some of us add LED headlights (for the older RT's, I think the 2022 already has LED headlights), for improved visibility and lighting. Many change the stock windscreen for improved wind protection. You might find the bike great as is, but just browse around a bit, and you'll probably find some farkle that you just "have to have" to make your own RT ~~ perfect ~~, for you. 馃檭馃榿

Most of all, we wish you many enjoyable miles, and stay safe! 馃憤馃嵒

Reactions: MLW

Registered
2018 R1200RT
I think I finally made a sound decision where my emotions weren't necessarily in control lol.
-Vikki
Umm, that would probably make you the very FIRST Beemer rider to accomplish that. Emotion has got to be part of the equation with these kinds of things, and that's not a male vs female thingy, either. You did well.

I finally gave in (background snapshot: grew up riding dirt, rode street as a poor college student, road street after another Navy Officer in my unit was transferred and had to get rid of a bike, returned to dirt when the kids hit 7 & 8 yrs old, but no street since 1980's) about 2005 after hellish commutes from Oceanside to SD, OC/LA, or Riverside, and picked up an RT-P to return to riding (i.e. I figured, heck, at least they'll see me when they run me over on the B&W RT-P). 馃檭馃榿 Upgraded to a used hexhead when the opportunity came up, and rode that to about 2014/2015, when I moved to Idaho, sans bike. (Just bought another 2018 RT last fall/winter.) So, I understand the California commute situation. I couldn't have made it through the last decade of commuting without that "relief" of riding home on I5 on the RT. Coming in from Irvine past Camp Pendleton around sunset every day (yeah, I worked a ridiculous amount of hours), overlooking the ocean, made every bad day, better. 馃槈

Reactions: vikkis
1 - 20 of 20 Posts