BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Welcome - Show your scoots...

404K views 1K replies 631 participants last post by  Motor32 
Until I bought my 2014 R1200RT in Northern California in May of this year, the last bike I owned was a Honda CB900 in 1985-ish, after owning Kawasaki and Suzuki bikes in the 500-750cc range over 10 years. (My biking roots were actually in the early 70’s on neighbors’ Honda Mini Trails in the hills around Riverside, CA, as a young teen.) Since that time, I probably rode 2-3 bikes I borrowed from friends and family, the latest being my brother’s Goldwing 1800 for a couple of days 10 years ago. When I bought my RT, I asked my brother to ride it to his house for me, then spent the next couple of months (over several trips out there) on local rides of 20-200 miles (after gearing up appropriately). In July, I flew out one last time and rode it back home to Maryland, about 3000 miles over 6 days. On Hwy 50 for the most part, I avoided traffic generally, though hit some commute times in KC and St. Louis. Overall, it was a great learning experience and a time to really get to know my bike as a rider (I was spared any mechanical issues along the way!). Now I‘m enjoying some great rides in my area, though plan to enroll in one or two of the BMW courses down in SC later this year, along with my wife. :) (Now I’m even contemplating the addition of an 800 or 850 GS to my garage.) It’s great to be back into biking and I’m looking forward to meeting and learning from others who are as passionate about bikes as I am.

One of my boys and my niece, thinking ahead…

Cloud Sky Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Crossing Nevada, July 2021