BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope the picture is not too poor. But I recently bought this LT and after a couple thousand miles am seeing this odd front tire wear. It's a Metzeler, I believe and 880. Anyway, it looks like I only lean and never go straight!
Both sides are worn considerably, but the middle is flat across, so much so that there are actually 'corners' on the profile. I'm thinking this is an extreme example of 'dual compound' wear characteristics?

I do like to throw sparks on occasion, but by far, most of my riding has been on boring straight roads.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
probably been run a bit low on pressure which has scalloped out the sides then pumped up to get some centre wear, its not uncommon to find wear such as this, the 880 is an old tyre now and they didn't wear all that flash anyway,,, keep the pressure up to 42 front and 48 on the rear and you should be right but get rid of that tyre, the bike will be handling like crap with that on the front.

Reactions: Munmi and beech

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
From the looks of it I would say that tire is very near its end of life. Mine look like that after about 14,000 miles. Also I'll bet it is an old tire (check the DOT date code) as they stopped making the 880 some time ago.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Yep, standard dual-compound tread wear for a bike as heavy and as maneuverable as the LT...

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Everyone above is correct. Lt bikes eat front tires for lunch. Time for new tires for sure. Some of the older model tires really suffered from early wear. Plenty of threads here on which ones work well. But don't join the crowd that wants the last mile out of a tire. They are gone way before they look it.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I hope the picture is not too poor. But I recently bought this LT and after a couple thousand miles am seeing this odd front tire wear. It's a Metzeler, I believe and 880. Anyway, it looks like I only lean and never go straight!
Both sides are worn considerably, but the middle is flat across, so much so that there are actually 'corners' on the profile. I'm thinking this is an extreme example of 'dual compound' wear characteristics?

I do like to throw sparks on occasion, but by far, most of my riding has been on boring straight roads.
What pressure you running?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Get that tire off of your bike ASAP! She’s going to feel great with a new one! Iike the ME 888.

Reactions: davebullock

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did some reading on the site and based on that ordered a set of Avon Storm 3D's from Revzilla.
I don't remember the pressure I've been running, but it's the recommended for 1 up riding which I think is
on a sticker under the seat or inside the side bag.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I did some reading on the site and based on that ordered a set of Avon Storm 3D's from Revzilla.
I don't remember the pressure I've been running, but it's the recommended for 1 up riding which I think is
on a sticker under the seat or inside the side bag.
I don’t recall the BMW recommendations, but I run 42 F and 48 R and that gives pretty good tire life. I do ride two-up often and often with loaded cases. However, the passenger and bags mostly add load to the rear tire so I would keep 42 or so in the front even for solo riding.

Reactions: Munmi

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
The stock pressures are 36 F and 42 R but I have run 42 F and 48 R for 15 years and I am happy with my tire life and wear.

Reactions: davebullock

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
The Avon Storm is a radial tire not a bias tire that we run the extra air pressure on. Check the side wall on the avon to see what the max pressure is.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I don’t see a fitment for the LT at the Avon site (not even the pre 2005 model). Is this tire even rated for the LT?

·
Registered
331 Posts
ok I see a 79V reinforced, that tire is good for your LT.

·
Registered
105 Posts
this looks like normal wear for my area (51) state rt near Pittsburgh,pa. I wish I could get 14000 mi. on tires. the area I live in SW,pa is the worst place in the USA for tire, brake wear, and fuel mileage. My average tire wear on K1200LTE and Bandit1250s is less than 5000 mi. other riders I know say less than 4k.I was told this wear is more from braking or low pressure than from normal riding. Around here the normal is a lot of stopping and starting up and down hills.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts