BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 K1200 LT. This is my first BMW..bunch of of Honda Valkerie's and Goldwing's. BMW has 6700 miles and previous owner most likely ran incorrect tire pressure because I have put less than 1000 miles on it and the front tire (Dunlops) shows the wierdest cupping I have ever seen. It has perfectly even spaced small "knobs" about the size of a nickel on the high side just off center. I have had tires cup before but nothing like this pattern. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Do you brake into curves? Front brake? This often causes or increases this problem.

What pressures do you run? My dealer recommended 42 front, while the book says something around 36. His comment was, "Oh, it will cup like crazy at 36!"

·
Registered
832 Posts
dempseyr said:
I have a 2007 K1200 LT. This is my first BMW..bunch of of Honda Valkerie's and Goldwing's. BMW has 6700 miles and previous owner most likely ran incorrect tire pressure because I have put less than 1000 miles on it and the front tire (Dunlops) shows the wierdest cupping I have ever seen. It has perfectly even spaced small "knobs" about the size of a nickel on the high side just off center. I have had tires cup before but nothing like this pattern. Any thoughts?
Time for a new front tire..........
That is not bad mileage for anything other than a Metzler Marathon. That is a lotta bike you're pushing thru corners.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
dempseyr said:

you may want to check the weight rating on that tire. Bridgestones, and Metzlers are the 2 OEM tires. I am not certain that Dunlop makes one for the bike that is weight rated for it.

I run the 'stones at 48/42 and still get some "bumps" at 8-9k miles

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have had the same problem it seems to arise on radials here is another thread describes the same wear pattern

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Axle, much thanks. BTW..my bad..they are Bridgestones. The photos in the link you provided are exactly what tire looks like. Thanks to all who replied

·
Registered
832 Posts
dempseyr said:
Axle, much thanks. BTW..my bad..they are Bridgestones. The photos in the link you provided are exactly what tire looks like. Thanks to all who replied
My bike came with Bridgestones and twice the front tire cupped like you describe. Leave the house in the morning with a good looking tire and come home from riding maybe 150-200 miles and the tire looks like it's from Sanford and Son. I've had dealers tell me that they see it all the time.
Metzlers from now on.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My tires never wear out... they just get to cupped to ride anymore. I even installed smart tire monitor system to help keep the pressure right, no luck. I have switched brands and still no luck. Just get 5,000 to 6,000 miles before changing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My 2006 LT has 4,000 miles on the original set of Bridgestones. The front is a 120/70B17 i.e. a bias ply tire, and I noticed the bumps at around 3,.000 miles. I plan to ride the tire until the groove depth dictates replacing or until I see or feel evidence of it being unsafe. It whines a little in turns, but I cannot notice any ill effects on handling. I have however noticed a head shake decelerating at low speed (probably about 35 mph) when I let go of the handlebars. Whether this has to do with the bumps I don't know, it has only happened twice both times in the last 500 miles. I run the front at 300kPa or 43.5psi. Since the rear tire seems to still have at least another 4,000 miles left, I purchased another Bridgestone from Ron Ayers at a good price (delivered about $97!) with the plan that I will have the option of replacing both with another make once the rear tire wears out. I run the rear at 340kPa (about 49.5psi). The photos show the bumps on the front tire.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
Been running Bridgestone Radials (they stopped making) and now run Bias ply for
over 7 years - from my experience best way to minimize cupping on the front is to:

1. Keep the air pressure up around 42 PSI
2. Avoid heavy braking while in a turn
(Due the heavy weight of the bike aggressive riding in the corner produces the same
results)

Bridgestones are a soft ply designed for superior grip - you know leaving material
on the road when conditions demand.

When the front tires cook up to operating temperatures of 100 to 125 F on the front
they tend leave material behind especially in the turns. Running higher pressures
seems to even the tire wear out reducing the tire cupping you are experiencing.

Tire cupping is also a function of what is acting upon the tire or in other words the
complete suspension system and setup which consists of tire pressure, weights,
temperatures, quality of shock absorbing / rebounding system, driving styles
and road conditions.

Read this somewhat accurate article:
http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/cupping/index.htm

Metzlers (a more stiff tire compound) can normally run much longer without cupping
- however with low pressures even these tires will cup.

BTW - your cupping is not weird to the K1200LT riders - all too common!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts