BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding home last night I encountered what I hope is not the start of the dreaded FD problem.

It seems when riding the bike upright there is little noise from the rear end of the bike.(other than what would probably be construed as normal). However, when I was banking on corners there was a significant increase in mechanical noise. Nothing that I could definitely put my finger on ( like grinding etc.) but more an increase as though from stressed bearings. One thing of note is my me880 is getting cupped.

Am I getting too worried about this whole drive thing? Anyone experience the same effect.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
For a while I thought you were talking about your pillion... :rotf:

Seriously, it is your rear Metz tire howling. A known phenomenon and not dangerous. This happens after a certain mileage...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had the same thing (and still do) sort of a clanking noise. I had the dealer check it out and he could not find anything wrong. Said it may be brake pad related. The bike runs fine and the noise usally only happens at slow speed turns.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Put your bike on the center stand and try to move the rear tire from side to side. If there is any play at all you got a problem. You might also be able to put your ear to the hub and turn the wheel to see if you hear anything.

·
Registered
807 Posts
ndmunro said:
Riding home last night I encountered what I hope is not the start of the dreaded FD problem.

It seems when riding the bike upright there is little noise from the rear end of the bike.(other than what would probably be construed as normal). However, when I was banking on corners there was a significant increase in mechanical noise. Nothing that I could definitely put my finger on ( like grinding etc.) but more an increase as though from stressed bearings. One thing of note is my me880 is getting cupped.

Am I getting too worried about this whole drive thing? Anyone experience the same effect.

Any ideas?
Neil,

My bet is tire noise. I had same issues with my Metz. Great life. Just noise.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
ndmunro said:

Any ideas?
Known to cause a howling sound when the tires get off center as when banking over in a corner. The fronts will make the same noise when cupped also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Gents I guess I now need to find the best deal in Metzeler 880 rear tyres. I know there were a few dealer links posted in the past.
I seem to remember somewhere in Tx had pretty fair prices.
Anyone up on the current hot price?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
www.swmoto.com Usually has about the best prices. and free shipping if you buy a pair I think. And their shipping is fast.

John

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
ndmunro said:
Thanks Gents I guess I now need to find the best deal in Metzeler 880 rear tyres. I know there were a few dealer links posted in the past.
I seem to remember somewhere in Tx had pretty fair prices.
Anyone up on the current hot price?
Hi Neil,
Not sure you'll have much luck (or save much) buying in the US -- unless you go to a Seattle dealer and buy and install them there -- even then only maybe there will be a saving. Think you should expect to pay about C$240 for the rear -- and can likely find a local bike shop who'll give you 30% off that. Be VERY CAREFUL though to make sure you get the correct tire. The LT needs a BIAS (I know -- old fashioned) PLY tire that is reinforced to handle the weight.
Be sure to double, no - triple check what you buy and install. Have had some fun getting the right ones ordered -- even from my BMW Dealer (in Moncton).
Best,
Keir

·
Registered
807 Posts
wkclark said:
Hi Neil,
Not sure you'll have much luck (or save much) buying in the US -- unless you go to a Seattle dealer and buy and install them there -- even then only maybe there will be a saving. Think you should expect to pay about C$240 for the rear -- and can likely find a local bike shop who'll give you 30% off that. Be VERY CAREFUL though to make sure you get the correct tire. The LT needs a BIAS (I know -- old fashioned) PLY tire that is reinforced to handle the weight.
Be sure to double, no - triple check what you buy and install. Have had some fun getting the right ones ordered -- even from my BMW Dealer (in Moncton).
Best,
Keir
I was actually in Moncton! Years ago visiting Palmar, a brake client. My BMW dealer here in Cleveland, OH, installs tires at internet pricing. They got tired of not getting the business.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I get the tire howl at speed when going through a sweeper...

I also get a noise at low speed when cornering, say at 10mph. I'm convinced this is the rear brake pads touching the disk slightly when cornering. I've put the bike on centerstand as suggested and tried to move the wheel, no play. Whew!

I've also noticed at low speed cornering if I try to drag the brake ever so slightly the noise will disappear. I'm not going to worry about it, just keep an eye on wheel play...good luck.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If it it a non metalic, snow tire kind of noise... It's the tire.
The tire is cupping. When you lean the bike over, you engage the cupped area it sounds like a heavy duty snow tire. Straighten the bike back up and the noise is gone... Then it's the tires.

If it is a metalic, metal-to-metal rubbing / grinding noise.
It is likely your rear rotor loosening up and making noise. If you apply the rear brake gently and it goes away... it's the rear rotor.

I have experienced both.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On my 00, I had the brake discs replaced because of squeal (under warranty). Just before I sold it, I noticed the the brake disc was coming loose from the grommets/ fasteners???- I believe it was the rear. The disk would rub against the pad and cause a scraping sound when cornering.

Norwood
08 B Blue
NC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts