BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A weird problem happened to me today when me and my wife went to go for a ride. At first my bike started with no problem. Then a couple minutes later the bike died and the battery seemed to be dead so I jumped started the bike and it started with no problem I road the bike down the road and noticed that the turn signals were not working and the lights were dead. I shut off the bike and the starter was still turning even with the key out of the bike. I had to disconnect the battery to get the starter motor to stop. After a couple minutes I reconnected the battery and guess what the starter motor was not turning. I tried to start the bike and it started with no problem and all the lights and turn signals were working fine. I road the bike home with no problem. Needless to say I am dazed and confused :eek: I am wondering has anybody had this problem and what is the cause and maybe a possible fix. Any help will be gratefully appreciated. Maybe an exorcist is in order.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,592 Posts
First thing that I would do is place a new battery in the bike. What happened is that you must have a 99 or 00LT and the starter solenoid stuck. This is very common on the early year LT's. The solenoid sticks when the battery voltage is low, the newer (replacement) solenoids will not stick with a low battery, they will either close to start the bike, or stay open because of lack of voltage. You are lucky in that it un-stuck itself after you reconnected the battery. The solenoid is located under the fuel tank, so I would suggest that during your next "full" service that you have the dealer change the solenoid while changing the air filter.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
mtrevelino said:
First thing that I would do is place a new battery in the bike. What happened is that you must have a 99 or 00LT and the starter solenoid stuck. This is very common on the early year LT's. The solenoid sticks when the battery voltage is low, the newer (replacement) solenoids will not stick with a low battery, they will either close to start the bike, or stay open because of lack of voltage. You are lucky in that it un-stuck itself after you reconnected the battery. The solenoid is located under the fuel tank, so I would suggest that during your next "full" service that you have the dealer change the solenoid while changing the air filter.
A minor correction: It is the starter RELAY, not a solenoid. The LT starter does not use a solenoid as many auto starters do.

I agree with you though, probably a weak battery. Time for an Odyssey! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input I will have the battery checked and if needed replaced. You are right I own a 00 LT . I will have the starter relay replaced when I have it serviced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
similar. 97 k1100lt turn key on...battery light stays on...notice the fuel pump did not start...other electrical works except fuel gauge. Was told it might be the starter solenoid. help

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Getting to the relay, if I remember correctly, involves removing the tank?

Plus, I seem to remember that the replacement relays were rather expensive?

I bought a little mc "trickle" charger, Battery Tender Automatic, that I attach directly to the battery terminals.

If you don't ride weekly, the LT can run down a battery in between rides.

One of the best things I did was to get a sealed battery. Seems as if the 100F+, 8% humidity ate up non-sealed batteries!

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts