BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently returned from my first long trip (6,500 miles) with my 2021 RT, and noticed some strange spots that kinda looks like oxidation on the right header pipe, but not the left. It's also on the cross pipe that connects the right and left pipes, and on the catalytic converter. At some point during the trip, I thought I smelled oil burning, but my oil level never dropped and I couldn't find any evidence of leaking oil, so I convinced myself that the smell must have come from another vehicle. I also pulled the spark plug and it looked pretty normal to me. I bought the bike new, and it now has 7,200 miles.

The spots have a slightly rough feel and can't be rubbed off. Do they look normal, and if so, why are they only on the right pipe?
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust
Water Liquid Wood Stairs Line

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The solvent is a good idea to try, and if that doesn't work, I may try some oven cleaner. I was concerned that the spots might be damage from the pipe getting too hot which somehow led to rust, but baked on dirt makes more sense. Still not sure how it ended up on only one of the pipes, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I've had lots of stuff baked on to pipes over the years. I just don't remember seeing multiple random large spots on only one of the pipes. Hope you got the big leaf off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts