BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So.. this is weird. Last year I picked up a 2nd LT; 2003 with a trailer and rode it back from WI.. It was an amazing trip.

Well with Covid being what it is, I stored the bike and trailer in my garage and knowing that I wasn't going to take another trip that year, I pulled the battery out just as I did with my '99 LT.

Well today was start-up day as I had planned to take a little trip tomorrow to break the bike in for 2021.. I connect the battery and instantly I get the constant noise from the ABS pump. the Brake Failure light is flashing and all seems to be doomed. :) Bike starts and runs fine.. I checked brake fluid level before I stored it and was planning on doing a full flush anyway.

Before I start pulling off all the plastic, any ideas? Again, the battery was completely removed and I made sure it was at full charge before I got it installed (it sat on the same trickle charger unit as my other stored batteries, all of which came through fine)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Man, that seems massively unsafe.. but hey, not surprising for BMW. :)

When I got my '99 about 5 years ago, the ABS was already broken so I just ripped it out and got used to not having it..Riding the '03 back from WI to CA with a trailer made me very thankful for ABS & linked brakes.

Thx for the info, I'll take it out locally tomorrow before it goes back down for fluid / filter changes.

·
Registered
650 Posts
It would probably really benefit from that flush you were going to give it. Last year I bought myself a little Dot 4 tester that tells you how much moisture has found it's way into the fluid. I can tell you that even when the color of the fluid looks fine it doesn't mean it's any good. I had already changed the fluid in my brakes and it was fine but when I checked the fluid in my clutch that looked the same color I was shocked to find that the moisture level was at a dangerous level. It could be that you have some contamination.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed, it's a great suggestion.

Once I got the bike home in June I did brake / oil / final drive.. but I swap fluids every year around this time regardless for all my bikes, so I'm getting dirty anyway. :) Better to get this one on the same schedule..And yeah, I know it's massive overkill.. but it makes me feel better when I ride.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
It's not over kill.
BMW ABS systems require the bike to roll a few yards or so to see how things are before resetting the system to normal (no flashing lights).

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,346 Posts
Since you had a 99 before and only rode this one once you may not be familiar with the startup ABS functions. It does an internal test when the key is first turned on and the lights flash fast, the servos actuate for a moment and then it shifts to slow flash (as long as the brakes are not held on during this first test). The lights slow flash until it performs the rolling test (a few feet), then the lights go out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx.. Yeah, I noticed that when I rode it back from WI to CA last year.. the issue I was running into is the pump is running without the key as soon as I connected the battery...and it keeps running. It also never seems to go into it's test as brake failure is flashing.

I rode for about 3-ish miles today and it's still doing it.. so since I was going to do it anyway, I'll see if it still wants to be difficult after a fluid change.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is there any chance, when you removed and reinstalled the battery, that you touched the wrench to something and shorted hot to ground? If you do this on a boxer, the ABS unit is right there and you will damage the ABS unit by blowing some things on the circuit board. On the LT it should be a bit harder to do this due to the different location of the ABS unit, but it's still right next to the battery.

Look on the ABS unit for a tiny weld mark, or for a mark on your wrench.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx for the response. Yeah, that's definitely something to keep an eye out for.

As for me, i use insulated tools when working with electricity ( One good shock from the mains years ago taught me quickly :) )

I'm guessing it's just the bike complaining for being put away for too long.. I'm going to try hooking up my odb2 scanner tmw and see if anything comes up.. since it uses an adapter and the app is sometimes flaky, I'm not expecting it to really work, but who knows maybe I'll get lucky. Worst case, if the fluid swap doesn't take care of it, I'll take it down to CalMoto and see if they can make sense of it.

Of course.. maybe i can use this to finally justify a GS911...hmm

·
Registered
289 Posts
It would probably really benefit from that flush you were going to give it. Last year I bought myself a little Dot 4 tester that tells you how much moisture has found it's way into the fluid. I can tell you that even when the color of the fluid looks fine it doesn't mean it's any good. I had already changed the fluid in my brakes and it was fine but when I checked the fluid in my clutch that looked the same color I was shocked to find that the moisture level was at a dangerous level. It could be that you have some contamination.
As an aside--if you read the reviews for those testers, their reliability/accuracy is somewhat suspect. Users have tested just opened new bottles and gotten the "Danger! Danger!" warning. Might want to do some comparison testing of different known samples along with maybe some samples you deliberately contaminated. Just to be sure you got a good one. 😋

·
Registered
650 Posts
As an aside--if you read the reviews for those testers, their reliability/accuracy is somewhat suspect. Users have tested just opened new bottles and gotten the "Danger! Danger!" warning. Might want to do some comparison testing of different known samples along with maybe some samples you deliberately contaminated. Just to be sure you got a good one. 😋
Actually I did test it. I checked all the new bottles of Dot 4 that I had and they all come out perfect. I also compared it to the brake circuit on the bike and it was also fine. It was only the fluid in my clutch circuit that showed signs of contamination. The one I bought wasn't cheap. Good idea though. I think I will do a little experiment with some new fluid and an eye dropper with water in it. One drop at a time until it shows a reading.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there any chance, when you removed and reinstalled the battery, that you touched the wrench to something and shorted hot to ground? If you do this on a boxer, the ABS unit is right there and you will damage the ABS unit by blowing some things on the circuit board. On the LT it should be a bit harder to do this due to the different location of the ABS unit, but it's still right next to the battery.

Look on the ABS unit for a tiny weld mark, or for a mark on your wrench.
I am in agreement, to me it seems you shorted out the control module..................hell I did the same thing on my 2005 LT and BMW said I needed a new ABS pump for almost $4,000. Not true.........pulled it out and sent to Module Masters and they fixed it for $150. Good luck.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just a thought, you might want to double check your battery wiring, accidentally leaving off a ground, or getting something switched can wreak all kinds of havoc...also check for critter intrusion in the wiring...they like to nest up in stored bikes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts