BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 LT and love it but when riding 2up what is a safe carrying weight and what would be the best way to increase it
Thanks
Bobby

·
Registered
256 Posts
The weigh limit is usually determined by the load that the tires will safely carry without overheating at highway speed. ( I don't know that you can buy tires with a higher load rating.) Increase pressure for two-up.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
2 up and loaded, I am probably grossing 1300 or close to it.......increasing the tire pressure a couple of pounds and jacking the rear shock to max is normal............keep a tire gauge and don't be afraid to feel the temperature of the tire occasionally ..........Jim

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello mrhaney

The GVW is in the owners manual and listed on the stickers in left side case .
These weight values are set by BMW after much testing I believe . I am not interested in doing any testing my self , as I am getting too old and too many aches and pains as it is with out trying to second guess the factory . 4 wheels maybe but 2 wheels no way !

Bob G

·
Registered
912 Posts
keep in mind that if you need to have more stuff at the end of the trip, UPS and FedEx are both pretty reliable, and will also ship clothing home.

Most motels, if you call ahead, will accept packages for registered guests, or at least they did before paranoia struck.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
WildBil said:
keep in mind that if you need to have more stuff at the end of the trip, UPS and FedEx are both pretty reliable, and will also ship clothing home.

Most motels, if you call ahead, will accept packages for registered guests, or at least they did before paranoia struck.
X2 on WildBil........My wife and I have used UPS this way and it works well for sending home any souvenirs you might pick up..........Jim

·
Registered
214 Posts
Wow... is there so much room on an LT that it can be overloaded?! :confused:

I've had bikes that were noodles without reaching max vehicle weight limits. The LT seems the opposite - a very rigid frame.

I sure keep the tire pressure up fully loaded and the rear shock dialed up high too. I try to not hit the speed bumps fast and avoid pot holes.

I suppose one could install aftermarket shocks and springs with a higher rate. But I guess the weight limits of the tires may limit it then.

Like other's have said, getting a trailer can vastly increase payload. Or ship stuff ahead!

Jon

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
mrhaney said:
I have a 06 LT and love it but when riding 2up what is a safe carrying weight and what would be the best way to increase it
Thanks
Bobby
I have an 2006 and always ride 2-up. 350 lb w/o luggage. I keep the little rear shock adjustment (under the seat-rearward) all the way down to the max position. Also had to add oil to it one time to bring it up to specs. (do search on how to do)
Our long summer trips require pulling our little trailer.
I keep KEEP THE TIRES @ 50 REAR 45-48 FRONT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts