BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A thousand miles from home in northern CA, I noticed a bit of dampness on the right side - no drops, not wet, but obviously damp enough to pick up road grime as you can see in the picture. I've checked oil level and I'm still fine. It's near the water pump, but doesn't look, feel or smell like coolant. Have examined closely, used white paper towels to try and identify where it's coming from, but nothing obvious.

I've contacted my dealer, sent him this picture, neither he or his service mgr has seen this from the ten K1600's they have sold so far. I will bring the bike in next week once I've returned, but I thought I'd throw it out there - has anyone else had an issue like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the word from the shop - it is the outer oil seal on the water pump. Oil was then seeping through the weep hole. Oil was not mixing with the coolant or getting into where the pump impeller is (the water pump is designed differently than a typical water pump).

They aren't going to mess with installing a new seal, but rather an entire new assembly. They don't yet know how long it will take to get the part.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Did she make it all the way from NorCal to Scottsdale like that?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup. Kept and eye on it - it never dripped, got wet, or lost enough to even make a difference on the dipstick.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: They found the replacement part(s) in the states so no waiting on Germany...

They should have received and installed it by end of next week.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bike is fixed and back home. All is good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts