BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how many of you guys have the weep hole drilled out on your bikes, and has anyone ever seen it leaking ,or was it a preventative action?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Drilled one. Preventative during the first main seal replace... :rolleyes:

While replacing the rear main, I also replaced the clutch slave (although it was "OK" at the time).

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Did the same as Brian @ 56k. No weeps yet.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I drilled the (4mm dia) weep hole as a preventative measure, soon after taking delivery of my '05. All was good when I removed the slave cylinder. One observation - the slave body is approximately 1.3 mm smaller in diameter than the machined bore in the rear of the gearbox housing, so an alternative to drilling the weep hole may be to take a small file and make a groove in the bottom of the mating surface where the slave bolts to the gearbox. Then if the slave leaks, the fluid will travel back along to the joint and weep out there. Just a thought as there is not much room for error when drilling the hole.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Did mine at about 60K. Started as a preventive maint project but upon removing the old slave I discovered it was leaking. It became a lucky just in time repair.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I did my 99 with 53k on the clock. I caught my slave leaking before it had a chance to contaminate my clutch. Put in a used slave off of ebay--thought a weep hole would be good insurance. At 73k she still has not leaked. :)

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I did the weep hole near 45K as a preventive procedure. I did it quite a few years ago when slaves were failing all over the place and taking out clutches. During the procedure I found that the slave was already leaking and the felt pad was already saturated. Since I was at a 'weep hole drilling party' with quite a few other guys, I reinstalled the defective slave, after cleaning it up (of course), and rode 300 miles back home. I ordered the slave and replaced it after 1K of additional riding with the new and improved slave..

I could see where the weep hole worked during the replacement. So, I can verify that the procedure will actually work. I have 95K on the bike know and I do inspect the area during service but I have not seen any trace of a new failure.

I have not heard a newer slave failure.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Had dealer drill mine at 16000km after I burnt out original clutch (well, I thought it was a sports armchair)... currently at over 80,000km's with no signs of an issue on the 2nd clutch plate (fingers crossed, touch wood.. etc etc)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Did my 03 last year at the same time as a slave replacement, so far so good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts