BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Did a weep hole save your clutch ?

• Yes, I drilled a weep hole and it saved my clutch

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No, I drilled a weep hole and my clutch still got contaminated..

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Here's what I want to know.. Has anybody who has had a weep hole drilled in either the slave cylinder boss or the bell housing subsequently had a failure of a component and receive enough warning from the weep hole to prevent a clutch contamination....

Yes, A weep hole saved my clutch..

No, I drilled a weep hole but my clutch still got contaminated..

Just wondering..

John

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Well Great survey.

I drilled my slave and bell housing and nothing has re-leaked (slave leaked when I replaced, but, never got to the clutch).

How do I record a "drilled holes, but, nothing failed or leaked"? Leave it blank?

Joe

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only want to know if you've had a failure... So you're still good to go...Hopefully the pre-emptives will insure that no failure will occur...

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
185 Posts
Agree with the purpose of your survey, this will be nice to know information.

My '05 LT has 64K+ miles. I am not drilling the weep hole. If it ever leaks, I'll replace the clutch anyway.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
I voted No since my contamination came from the engine output shaft o-ring and not from the slave/tranny seals. And I burned most of the clutch material off pulling my first trailer (slipped the clutch way too much).

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I did the weep hole project as a preemptive measure, replaced the seal and slave cyl. while I was in there. No failures at 67k miles.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drilled my LT and replaced the slave cylinder at about 36K if I remember correctly...
But I had not experienced a failure nor did I subsequently...

One of the many things I forgot to tell the new owner... He was in a bit of a hurry so didn't get the "full" talk...

Maybe a mod would sticky this so it could hang around awhile and accumulate some data...

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts