BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read several posts about the clutch housing weep hole. I want to drill one just to see what comes out of it that is causing my clutch to slip. Don’t want to accidentally drill in the wrong bit. If I’m looking at the hole between the right foot peg and rear brake, I believe this is what I want to carefully drill into.

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
Welcome the the LT world. Lots of good helpful folks here.
I suggest watching the video that is labeled as 'weep hole drilling' sticky at the top of the K1200LT thread. Lots of information dedicated to getting that done safely.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Tried to take some pictures one handed! Hope it helps.......:wave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
It does help. I’m pretty sure I have the right spot. Just feels weird drilling a hole in an engine. Lol.
I did not bother to drill mine. The cases are not gasket sealed and they leak enough so that you know there is a problem. And I was fairly sure it was gear oil from the smell. I know some say the oil can pool in there, but I think it would take a fast leak to put oil in faster than it can leak out through the unsealed case seam. Mine had leaked for4 years or so and still had no pool when I split the cases. Just a nice coating of oil and clutch dust almost everywhere.

Your cases look about like mine oil-wise. My EHCS was also coated in oily grime from the leak. Drilling a hole doesn’t hurt, although if you ever drive through water or such, it will let a lot more stuff in than will just the case seam for a short duration immersion. I also, just don’t like drilling holes in things I don’t have to.

I did drill the hole in the slave cylinder as that cavity is gasket sealed so any leakage is forced to go out along the pushrod. In that case, drilling a hole is warranted as it is the only way to let fluid out other than going out towards the clutch.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
Well they are not sealed but well machined surfaces have been known to hold oil as I pulled an LT transmission once and a pint came out of the intermediate housing. Made a mess on my lift as I was not expecting it.

There is a 1 mm formed o-ring for the body of the EHCS and I split one apart once and it was MISSING. I contacted the owner and he had never taken it apart and it had the OEM fluid in it. It never leaked.

I would drill the hole.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had the engine seal go bad. My clutch slipped so bad couldn't go anywhere. Had to replace the fibre plate, blasted the steels. Which if I had a weep hole, I could have told by tasting it compared to clutch fluid, but I didn't so instead of letting my extended warranty repair it if it was the engine seal for free, I took the chance it was the clutch cylinder and guessed wrong and did it myself. I could not have afforded the repair if it was the clutch so, a rock and a hard place. Drill the hole like they show it. I did mine when my case was off so I didn't hit anything important. Engine seals do go easily. These are some needy machines and some were assembled poorly to my estimation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts