BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my LT just this past march, and I'm sure previous owners have had their share of adventures as I have. Here's my question, how would I know, and where would I look to see if a weep hole has been drilled? Also, why is it important to do so ?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Both questions readily answered by a search on "weep hole" :D

To save time (and avoid the useless "search nazi!" posts which will inevitably follow), here's a link to one of the first threads that comes up in the search, with links to not only a procedure on how to do it, but links to VIDEOs showing where & how:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53532&highlight=weep+hole

The discussion of why can also be found -- in short:

The clutch is hydraulically-actuated.

The slave cylinder which pushes the clutch release pushrod is mounted on the back of the transmission.

If the slave cyliner fails and starts leaking, the clutch fluid has no where to go -- so it proceeds to flow along the release push rod to the clutch, which the fluid then ruins, requiring the bike to be split literally in half to remedy.

The weep hole is a hole drilled in the bottom of the boss to which the slave cylinder is mounted, to give any leaking fluid a place to go, as well as to leave a tell-tale mark on the ground to give you a head's up.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
What Mark says. Plus, if you watch John Z's video on weep hole drilling at the top of this forum, it splains everything very well. I decided to do the procedure last winter and glad I did. When I opened things up I found tranny fluid in the slave cavity from a seal leaking. Fortunately it was a small amount and had not migrated to the clutch. I replaced the seal and the slave cylinder as well. Now I sleep well at night. :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts