BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you, Brian. The fresh battery seems to have solved almost all my problems. I still don't quite believe the temp on the BC, but she fired right up. Charging system appears happy.

I think it musta been a combination of the trunk light and not leaving the bike with the key in OFF.

Gotta break them Goldwing habits.

Still have a couple other things to work on... I gotta hook the PIAAs back up, I seem to have a bit of rattling tupper, I need to get the rear suspension set, and the footpeg extensions have got to go. Then she'll be ready for serious action.

Thanks again,
juggler

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
After working on my LT a couple of times, the temp gauge took a day or two to start working properly. I'm expecting the same out of yours. :)

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Victor,
I had a feeling the battery would correct most of your problems. As for the temp, I believe Joe to be right. Give it time to learn and settle down. Give me a holler when you have time and we can go through some LT specific do's and do nots. You missed a good dinner tonight and some nice weather for riding.

·
Registered
187 Posts
How would a temp sensor “learn” a correct setting? I could understand how it could reset once, but gradually learn?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suspect you might be open to bribes to help me install the HID on a nice weekend in the near future.

sanjaun2 said:
Victor,
I had a feeling the battery would correct most of your problems. As for the temp, I believe Joe to be right. Give it time to learn and settle down. Give me a holler when you have time and we can go through some LT specific do's and do nots. You missed a good dinner tonight and some nice weather for riding.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as we're on the subject...

...where *is* the temp sensor that feeds the BC? My first guess is that it is whatever the Motronic is using for ambient air temp or intake air temp.

OTOH, on my Mercedes, it's a separate sensor in the front bumper which is subject to the sun beating down on it or heat rising off the pavement, so it isn't accurate until the car has been moving for a while. I frequently see triple-digit temps on the gauge when the real outside temp is in the 80s.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The temp sensor on my '03 is under the front fairing directly below the headlight. Don't know if they moved it on any other year models.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
The sensor is located in the front of the bike, Look under the nose cowl between the forks. It will be a little black probe with a connector hooked to it. I am sure we can assist you with the hid install.
Ballscasten, I should have used "" on my "learn" Why does the engine management system "learn" your driving habits. I had my car chipped and it smoked a little until the car had time to "learn" its new fueling parameters and then it was fine. Everyone else who had there car chipped did the same thing. Are the computers and electronics so smart that they actually learn? NO. It just must be P.F.M.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,253 Posts
BallsCasten said:
How would a temp sensor “learn” a correct setting? I could understand how it could reset once, but gradually learn?
It does not really "learn" anything. It uses a slow sample rate and updates by some ratio of the difference. So starting at -41 when ambient is 80 and the sample rate is 5 minutes and the ratio is 1/2 (not sure what they use) the first change will be to 10 then at the second 5 minute interval it would update to 45 and so on until it got to 80. Makes it appear to "learn".

·
Registered
187 Posts
Your car learns your driving habits by monitoring fuel/air as compared to vacuum and speed. But in those cases, it has a target or calibration to meet.
And I think I understand jzeiler in that the temp is an average. But I don’t understand how it could change over a couple days.

I’m not arguing just trying to understand. Mine is very sporadic some days it’s off 10 degrees, some days its off 2.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts