BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

I keep bees on a hobby scale. Lost 3 hives over the last 4 years.

Personally think that some of the new types of the synthetic pesticides will be found to be the cause of CCD. Makes the bees forget where home is, they never come back and the hives collapses.

Been a good year for honey here, a lot of it and a nice golden color. All 4 of my hives are thriving as of this evening.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Scary, scary! I had a couple of hives a few years back, but now that I live in an urban environment bees are not so welcome.

But that CCD is some scary stuff! Back when I 'only' had to deal with Varoa.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, guys! I'm seriously considering "keeping" bees... actually, providing a safe haven for them.

Is there a source for solid advice on how to do it.. ? I would "be" interested in "keeping" the bees strictly to give them a safe place to live, unmolested by us.. I don't know if I will be able to "harvest" honey, etc..

So, since this has nothing to do with motorcyling, does anyone have a suggestion or recommendation of where the best research is?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
cfell said:
Hey, guys! I'm seriously considering "keeping" bees... actually, providing a safe haven for them.
PM Sent

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
There is a whole lot of knowledge on beekeeping.

Here's a good link http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php

I'd be surprised if your county doesn't have a beekeepers association, do a websearch, they might even have a web site. Is great to have someone mentor you, wish you were closer.

There are books, a whole lot of them on the subject, BeeKeeping for Dummies is a good start.

Again, wish you were closer, I'd give you a colony to start.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the offer and suggestions, too, my friends! I'll keep the research going..

I guess you hear of things such as the bees dying off and it's not hard to become concerned... so, if there is any other info / awareness on the topic, I'd appreciate your input....

BTW.. PM's are fine ..

·
Registered
153 Posts
When I worked for the rail road and would catch the job of baggage master on the passenger train, at times the baggage car would be full of air borne bees that had escaped from the bee shipping boxes.
Sonny

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chockkicker said:
When I worked for the rail road and would catch the job of baggage master on the passenger train, at times the baggage car would be full of air borne bees that had escaped from the bee shipping boxes.
Sonny
Ohhh.. hmm.. so, rail shipments may be the best solution... thanks for the tip..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts