BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I have been lurking on this and the Wing site garnering info on these two tourers. Now, with my ST 1300 sale just about completed, I am getting nervous about the "head shake" threads and the "rear axle bearing" threads and your reports of your bike being tied up for three or four weeks. My wife and I bother prefer the lines of the LT over the Wing but we are concerned about reliability and service. I am concerned because we will house the bike in Las Cruces, NM where there arent any Beemer dealers. Two questions...1. Anyone know what percentage of '05's have run into these problems or how prevalent they are, and 2) when do they introduce the '06 LT's? Thanks and ride safe, Ron

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I ride with two good friends who have 1800 GLs. I think either the wing or the LT are great bikes and it comes down to which one "fits" you. (personally, I don't like to ride with a stuffed animal on my trunk...)

The reliability issue is overstated. There is manufacturing variation in everything, including LTs and wings, so a few unfortunate ones will not be happy. I do most of my own servicing and find the LT to be very reliable so far, but then so do my two riding partners with wings.

Best of luck which ever way you decide to go!

·
Registered
324 Posts
The LT of Course!

Ron,

I am struggling with a severe headshake problem but as a former wing owner I can tell you even with the problems I have had with my bike I would still get an LT. The rear end problem does not seem to be much of an issue with the 05 models. I have a good dealer and the headshake will at least be reduced to some acceptable level, it will just take a while and maybe cost a bit.

According to my dealer the headshake is present in most LT's they ride but only in a minor way and usually not even noticed by the owner. Only recently have a number of the more severe examples surfaced.

This bike is like no other in the fun to ride department and as far as comfort two up there is nothing close.

Wings have their own problems so, as they often say here in LT.com land, ride-em both and buy the one that speaks to you.

BTW there are two 06 models on the showroom floor at my dealer here in Southern California.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ron, thanks...that is reassuring....come to think of it...my ST 1300 has a headshake around forty mph when decelerating...and it doesnt bother me...are you aware of any improvements or new accessories for the 06' LT?,Ron

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sorry to sound ignorant, but what on earth is the headshake issue? Is it some inside joke or what? Or does it mean you head is shaking between LT and Wing...?

Regards

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think they're referring to the front end shaking at certain speeds and/or conditions. I've never experienced it with my bike.

As to a reply to this topic, I would highly recommend that you and your wife go and test ride both bikes. That usually makes the decision crystal clear. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
The rear drive issue is basically non-existent on post 03 LTs, with no failures that I'm aware of on 05 models. I've never experienced the headshake problem on any of the 3 LTs I've owned (99, 02, and 05). Yes, it's possible to get a front end wobble or headshake out of any motorcycle, since it depends on a number of factors (tire wear, tire inflation, road surface, riding conditions, etc.). From my experience the LT is much LESS likely to experience this than other bikes that I've owned.

Both machines have excellent reputations in reliability, longevity, and quality. Both machines have issues that are talked about on websites like this one, some worth worrying about, some not. In the end, you'll pick the bike you like the best. Personally, I've never based a motorcycle purchase decision on what I've heard may go wrong with a bike; it's just too much fretting over inconsequential things. Pick one and buy it. There are 2 things I will guarantee - 1) You'll have some problems, minor or otherwise, with your new bike; 2) You'll have enough fun riding it the 99.5% of the time it's not having problems that you really won't worry about #1.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
There is a good dealer in Deming, not that far away.

Yes, you will hear all the bad in posts here, but you have to remember that that is the case on any brand specific forum, motorcycles, cars, or anything else for that matter. People rarely sit down and write that they have had little or no problems, as that is what they "expect". If one has a problem though, it will be posted, either looking for help, or just venting.

MOST LT riders have few to no problems. Even the ones of us that have had one of the more serious problems, such as final drive bearing failure, or clutch slave cylinder failure, the two most prominent issues with the bike, would buy another LT without question.

The Wing has had it's serious issues also, and Honda may has taken a more "across the board" reactive approach to them, where BMW takes the reactive approach to each case individually.

Read a lot of the posts regarding the LT vs. Wing here and on the old site, and you will see that the overwhelming reaction is that we would still prefer the LT.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Thanks for making me wiser, Darrell.

I'm familiar with occasional front end wobble at 50-60 km/h with not-so-new front tire when taking hands off the handlebars. But, I guess you are not supposed to ride with hands off, anyway...

Regards

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The only time I experienced "headshake" was fully loaded, two-up, in an emergency braking situation. I was also experiencing severe ass pucker at the time....

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
It's what happens when the tires wear unevenly (i.e., cupping/feathering). Getting new tires makes the headshake go away.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was in the same situation a little over 5 weeks ago, except I added the HD UC in the mix (AND all the emotions that HDs bring!). I have to say with over 2200 miles and all the 'strings' that I've read here, I am VERY happy to have an '05 LT! :D I agree it is a decision to be made with your riding partner, and if like mine you'll be a "happy" owner of an LT! While an impressive bike, the Wing is a bit longer and doesn't handle as well as the sweet LT. :bmw:

Good luck and we'll see you at the '06 CCR!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gentlemen:
This is all very helpful and encouraging...thanks for your input...you're pushing me over the top! :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Don't spend that kind of cash without riding them both. The '06 didn't change anything that would make a difference ride wise that I am aware of so you can test drive an '05. My dealer in KC always keeps a demo on hand. Don't know if they all do though.

My dealer has an '06 on the floor. I know they are adding an HID option.

·
Registered
713 Posts
They are both great bikes with a few problems like anything man made.

Honda has frame cracking, they also have over heating, faulty steering head bearings. Their windshield isn't adjustable while riding like the LT's is.

They are both good just find the one that fits you best.......Regards Pete

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just took my 05 LT out on a 6 hour 275 mile (GPS counted) leaf tour with the wife on the back. Once we got off the I87 exchange and got some breathing room it became clear why the Beamer was the best choice for me. The way an 850 lb. machine can simply become a light and nimble road bike has to boggle the mind. Anything that gobbles up a 2" pothole on a right hand sweeper at 55mph without even missing a stroke is a miracle in itself. This baby rides. It's not about the wind in your hair and the smell of oil, that's the HD crew. It's the way this bike just devours anything you throw at it. It's a racebike with manners, if that makes sense.
The way I see it is, get what makes you happy. You work hard, take your pay and buy something to play hard. But get value at what you spend.
Ed
P.S. This post was 10 minutes in the writing with a 45 minute break in between. I usually delete these as I feel I'm ranting and not making sense. But I think I'm speaking sincerely and am willing to take "the heat", hehe.

·
Registered
354 Posts
'03 Lte

For what it's worth; I purchased my '03 LTE two years ago. I have 33,000 perfect miles on the bike and thanks to this forum I have done all maintenance on the bike myself including changing the brake fluid in the linked ABS setup. The only trip to the dealer was to run a bleed down test after I completed the brake work.

Truely a wonderful motorcycle. The funest bike I've ever owned. Just waiting until they build the next generation of LT with that new motor. But, it better be really good, cause this LT has been just perfect for me.

Get the LT, stay away from the stuffed animals, tennis shoes and nylon jackets; the choice of on overwhelming number of wing riders. Of yes, you can also get 50 plus miles per gallon with the LT. A wing will never see those numbers and better than you ST ever will do.

BTW, I am 5'10" and 165#.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I had not heard that. Too bad, they were pretty good with them.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts