BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just installed my nuvi 1940LMT on my bike
Everything works fine but I'm worried about hitting rain when it's mounted.
Since it's a car unit, it's not waterproof
Has anybody managed to "waterproof" a GPS unit?
I know about the aqua box but it would mean to change my whole mounting bracket.

·
Registered
711 Posts
ZipLoc luch bag, cheap.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Bighopper said:
ZipLoc luch bag, cheap.
Yep, what he said. Been running with a Nuvi 765 for several years on various bikes. I keep a few ziplock bags in my tank bag and slip it over in the rain. Easy to see and fully functional. Major test was April at STC, 4+ hours in the rain. GPS was happy and dry.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
+1 on the zip lock bags. Although I have a garmin gps, I use the zip lock bag on my xm radio receiver which sits out in the open. I use a small sandwich bag and use a small bungee cord to keep it in place.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Not that I am trying to spoil a Ziplock party... but how about getting a true motorcycling (waterproof unit). The older ones, in particular, show up ever so often on the forums or Fleabay and are not expensive. Those will stand to years of abuse.

Examples: Garmin StreePilot 27xx, 2820 (26xx is too old in the tooth); Zumo series.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I wish the rain would get my Garmin 2720. Then I could justify getting a new one. :D
Functionally, it works pretty good, but if the sun is over your shoulder, it's pretty much useless. JM2C

·
Registered
419 Posts
rdwalker said:
Not that I am trying to spoil a Ziplock party... but how about getting a true motorcycling (waterproof unit). The older ones, in particular, show up ever so often on the forums or Fleabay and are not expensive. Those will stand to years of abuse.

Examples: Garmin StreePilot 27xx, 2820 (26xx is too old in the tooth); Zumo series.
Why???

My Garmin Nuvi 765T has the exact same functionality as a 660. It's been getting constant bike use for four years (including some dual sporting) and has never had an issue. If it breaks I'll buy another or several and still be ahead of the motorcycle units.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Travman said:
Why???

My Garmin Nuvi 765T has the exact same functionality as a 660. It's been getting constant bike use for four years (including some dual sporting) and has never had an issue. If it breaks I'll buy another or several and still be ahead of the motorcycle units.
Is the 765T not the Truck unit? I have the RND 700 and failed in 10 months, so I will not replace. Is the 765T a good unit?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Risky said:
Is the 765T not the Truck unit? I have the RND 700 and failed in 10 months, so I will not replace. Is the 765T a good unit?
T is for traffic. You get traffic updates through an FM type transmitter. +1 for the ziplock...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts