BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a LT 2003 and the water temp seems to go high when giving it a bit up Mountain Passes, etc. Also If standing in traffic for periods. Temp gauge goes upto the top white line. Is this normal??

Cheers

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
this is normal, as long as your fans start up they should bring the temp down when the bike is stopped in traffic. You should test the coolant and change it if necessary, though coolant useally does not need to be changed but every 4-5 years.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
In a short answer: Yep!

John

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
As you have already heard, perfectly normal. If the coolant temp really does get too high, it will be in the red, and the panel warning light will come on.

Test it yourself by letting it idle in your driveway. Watch the temp gauge and it will rise to the top of the white, then the fans will come on (make sure BOTH of them do), then the temp will drop back down.

In the past there have been a few instances (me included) where one fan stopped working. If only one is working, it will cause overheating in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't you believe them...

Depending on the month it was built, BMW has documented a problem with the thermostats and fan switches assembled in July & Aug '03. I, along with another LT from the Carolinas (coincindentially built less than 1,000 bikes before mine), spent the CCR in Breckenridge awaiting parts for an overheating LT. Took 'em nearly the whole week to get in a new themrostat and fan sensor for each; they covered it under warranty but that didn't get us into the mountains and out of the parking lot. Check to see when it was assembled, and push the your dealer to replace those parts. Mine overheated several times, but finally blew out entering Rocky Mountin State Park...not a fun vacation. Let me know if you need any further information.

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
Graham I too have had this happen on several occasions. I was told by the dealer this is normal as long as the fan comes on. After Ricks response I am going to look in to it further.
Good luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again, Great forum!!.

I will check to see if my fans come on. It is just that my temp goes to the top white line (just below the red) and I believed that this is just way to high.

If this is normal and the fans are working, then there is nothing to really wrong and as stated "this is normal"

Thanks again

·
Registered
75 Posts
temperature rising

I ride an 02 LT and and have Jpegs installed in such a way that my legs seem to block the flow of air out of the side of the fairing. I noticed my needle rising and then dropped my legs after trying to determine some reason for the added heat. The needle seemed to drop back a little after a bit.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,178 Posts
Here is some useless info;

Thermostat opens @ 85 (185)
Fans Kick in @ 105 (221)
High temp light on @ 115 (239)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts