Hey All;

Anyone replaced the water/oil pump?
Anything I should watch for?

Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,785 Posts
I have pulled one off a dead engine (no intention of putting it back on). Pretty straight forward. You will dump a little water and oil when you pull it off even if you have drained the cooling system. No gasket (make your own with sealant) and an o-ring for the water port.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have rebuilt a pump (new seals on water and oil sides) on my K100, you need to be very careful to get the joint betewwn the oil pump and engine block front face "perfect". The reason is that this joint is under full system oil pressure and it will leak if not made correctly. BMW specify a ThreeBond sealant, I think it was grade 1207, you may need to check that. Basically you need to use a sealant that has high shear strength in order to effectively seal. Do not attempt to use a silicone sealant, it will leak and severe frustration will quickly follow. I used Loctite 515 Master Gasket and Loctite Primer T (spray application). Thoroughly clean the faces without scratching anything, then prime using the primer T. Do not touch the surcaces after this step as contamination will affect the cure. Apply the 515 master gasket and spread using a paddle pop stick or similar, do not use your finger (contamination). Bolt up and wait 12 hours before filling with oil and starting the engine. The wait time is important, sorry, but that's how it is. Ask me how I know,..... I had 3 attempts on the K100 before the joint was successful. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts