BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was having my LT serviced at my local shop. While draining the transmission oil it came out like a very thin steawberry milk shake! Water in the oil!

I looks to have invaded the traney from the breather valulve on top. Very hard to see when the bike is assembled.

To get to it we have to dissassemble the entire rear end of the bike, as if we were changing the transmission itself. Sure glad it is still under warrenty!

I have not seen this problem on the site, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem? My dealer tech's said they have seen it before, but usually older bikes that are more than three years old. Mine has only been in service since May 2006.

This breather simply pops into the hole, no fastening or any sercuring devise used, not even glue or RTV.

I'll update as more information is collected.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't suppose you know if the bike has ever been pressure washed? Or driven through deep water? Those are a couple of ways water might get in.

·
Registered
601 Posts
If your transmission oil looked like a strawberry milkshake(red or pink colored), I would check to see if it is Redline gear oil. Redline looks like a strawberry milkshake. I use it in my transmission and final drive. If it simply has water in the oil, I think it to look more like a malt colored milkshake. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Sunderland said:
If your transmission oil looked like a strawberry milkshake(red or pink colored), I would check to see if it is Redline gear oil. Redline looks like a strawberry milkshake. I use it in my transmission and final drive. If it simply has water in the oil, I think it to look more like a malt colored milkshake. Let us know what you find out.
You read my mind. Of course, I would think the techs would be experienced enough to recognize a Redline product when they see it. Or, let the fluids sit awhile and watch them separate.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't know about motorcycle transmission oil, but outboard motor lower unit oil, will turn milky white/brown when water gets into it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Redline Oil

The oil that was installed last time was BMW Gear lube. It is synthetic BMW label oil in quarts sold at the dealer.

Could that have been Redline and just label for BMW?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
sparkchaser1200 said:
The oil that was installed last time was BMW Gear lube. It is synthetic BMW label oil in quarts sold at the dealer.

Could that have been Redline and just label for BMW?
No sir. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts