BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal to find water in the swing arm?. All three times since I've had my LT that I have pulled the rubber boot back on the FD I get about a cup of water out of it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,187 Posts
Nope not normal. Most likely cause is the front boot not seating all the way. It is hard to see and if it is not greased around the edge when you put the swing arm on it will not seat on the lip at the transmission.

You may be able to seat it with a long screwdriver and flashlight. If you look up in there from the underside and see a flange on the tranny it is not seated.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I can tell the front boot seems to be on. I did grease it when I had the swing arm off. The next time I have it on the lift I'll have someone with better eyesight take a look.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Found another location for a weephole, huh, Dave? :histerica

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Everytime I put a Swingarm back on an LT I listen for a distinct "pop" from the boot going back on. Honeslty, it sounds more like "poop". (It really does). :D

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lee510 said:
Found another location for a weephole, huh, Dave? :histerica
I just might do that Lee. When I first got the bike it had water drain out of the FD boot. When I did the weep hole last Dec. it had water in it again. I put my new spare FD on today & water drained out again. Its enough water to rust the pivot bearings a little.

My pivot bearings were rusted last Dec. & I installed new ones & almost one year later I need new pivot bearings again.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cccpastorjack said:
Everytime I put a Swingarm back on an LT I listen for a distinct "pop" from the boot going back on. Honeslty, it sounds more like "poop". (It really does). :D
I've never herd a pop but I grease it and work a screwdriver down as far as I can around the boot forward.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
You're very fortunate to have one of the early prototypes of the new and improved "water cooled" final drive design that will be standard on all new LT's. Make sure you ONLY use BMW brand distilled water for $24.95 a bottle to avoid rusting.

PS: Use a very thin layer of silicone grease (dielectric is easy to find) on that boot (and you should probably buy a new one) when you pop it back on, common petroleum grease, including Vaseline - can attack and degrade rubber - and of course - keep it from sealing properly. :thumb: I understand Astrolube also works well... :rotf:

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll pull the swing arm off in a couple of weeks & check the boot. This problem started before I owned the bike. I've got two toy rides this weekend & it looks like rain shouldn't be a problem.

Now if I could only keep myself from washing it several times a week that might help as well. :)

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
saddleman said:
I'll pull the swing arm off in a couple of weeks & check the boot. This problem started before I owned the bike. I've got two toy rides this weekend & it looks like rain shouldn't be a problem.

Now if I could only keep myself from washing it several times a week that might help as well. :)
Washing?? You're supposed to wash them??

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
deanwoolsey said:
Pressure washers are not recommended on motorcycles. If you are using one that could be part of the problem.
I just use a hose pipe with standard 60psi city water pressure. My water comes off a 12" main. I probably have about 7000 miles of interstate riding (70 to 90 mph) in the rain since I checked it last.

·
Registered
910 Posts
saddleman said:
I just use a hose pipe with standard 60psi city water pressure. My water comes off a 12" main. I probably have about 7000 miles of interstate riding (70 to 90 mph) in the rain since I checked it last.
hose pipe....
Hadnt heard that one in a while...
Good to hear em tho..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts