BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I changed the rear drive oil it appeared milky and the oil analysis confirmed water in the oil (0.5%)
I've checked the breather cap and it looks OK and the small o ring under the cap also looks good.

Any ideas how water is getting in???

·
Registered
616 Posts
RealWing said:
When I changed the rear drive oil it appeared milky and the oil analysis confirmed water in the oil (0.5%)
I've checked the breather cap and it looks OK and the small o ring under the cap also looks good.

Condensation....not running it long enough to get it warm so the water vaporizes out of the mixture.

Just an educated guess.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scottly said:
Condensation....not running it long enough to get it warm so the water vaporizes out of the mixture.

Just an educated guess.

I dont think so. I've only driven on long trips. I changed it right after a 4 hr ride to dealer and back.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ok, here's another educated guess. :confused:

Your rear drive unit gets warm under normal operating conditions. The fluid/air expands, and air goes out the vent. You run through a puddle. The water cools it, contracting and sucking in air...and some water with it.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Probably getting in thru the vent when you're washing or riding in the rain..

Good think we change it often

No pressure washing and check it again...in 3k miles.

John

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fpmlt said:
Are you using a pressure washer?

I dont use a pressure washer. I'll check again in 1-2000 Km to see what it looks like.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Check the seal ring on the fill plug along with both mating surfaces. Try using a fiber ring. Readily available at the auto parts store.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Move to Arizona. We have dry heat here. :)

RealWing said:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,915 Posts
Me thinks the Rear Drive Water Fairies have have moved north for the winter.;)

Pull the vent cap off and see if the foam insert is still in there. This is akin to the burpout of oil that occurs some times. Maybe the same mechanism is responsible for the suckin of water.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks John

It can't be the fairies - Canada Customs & Immigration Control will stop all of them at the border !!

I didnt realise there is a foam filter in there. It was not visible when I removed the cap - so I assume it is stuffed down inside the tube (sleeve) that the cap fits on?

Jim

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,915 Posts
Yup, or it is gone (not sure where they go though...). My spare had it and it is listed as a filter on the parts list. Jeff's failed drive did not have one.

Almost looks like one of those E.A.R. ear plugs that are cylindrical. Never checked the one in my bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jzeiler said:
Yup, or it is gone (not sure where they go though...). My spare had it and it is listed as a filter on the parts list. Jeff's failed drive did not have one.

Almost looks like one of those E.A.R. ear plugs that are cylindrical. Never checked the one in my bike.
John

The foam insert was in the vent tube. I fished it out and it was totally saturated with water when I squeezed it. No doubt that is how the water was getting in.
The vent cap has a small hole in the side and I wondered if water might be forced in the hole depending on which way it was facing??
I also put a little silicone grease on the o ring and bottom of the cap which might help keep water from being forced in??

Still seems strange that water suddenly got in.

Jim

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,915 Posts
RealWing said:
John

Still seems strange that water suddenly got in.

Jim
It is even stranger when a little oil comes out the same place. Not sure just how the water gets in there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts