BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now on my third set of tires. Just had the last set mounted three weeks ago. Sunday I just pulled into the garage after a 50mi. ride with my daughter. Got off the bike and turned around to take off my helmet and all of a sudden the rear valve stem blew out the whole metal insert for the valve core. I had thought the fine dealer had replaced the valve stems at every tire change. Lucky for the two of us it went when it did. Make damn sure they change them out every tire change. Took wheels back to dealer and told them what had happend. The stems would cost me four dollars and some change each. Bought two and had them redo both tires with the high dollar stems. It's just sad you have to watch these dealers like a hawk. Eight dollares and 20 seconds to replace them or someones life. Seems like a no brainer to me...........

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Doesn't suprise me at all. I changed mine to all metal stems before heading to CCR Grand Teton, because we went through particular thread on the .net site.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Who was the dealer?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I had one come loose on the road but it didn't do anything but waste the rear tire. If it had blown like yours it would likely have been different. You certainly were lucky!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
An often overlooked important piece of hardware. I always have them change my valve stems and now have gone to metal stems. Makes it easier to inflate the tires too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Motomadman said:
..... and all of a sudden the rear valve stem blew out the whole metal insert for the valve core. ..........
Am I reading it wrong???? Replacing the inflation valve stem fixes NOTHING in this case. THE VALVE STEM DIDN'T FAIL - the core blew out; simple matter of the mechanic not properly screwing it in. A sloppy mech would have done the same EVEN with a new valve. Replace the mech.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm sure he was referring to the valve stem itself failing (the metal and rubber separating) and not just the screw-in core coming out. I had the same thing happen on my rear tire a couple of years back. I was very fortunate that I was checking the air in the tire when this happened and not on the road.

Certainly an inexpensive item but one of great importance for safety sake.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
When I replaced my last set of tires, I went with metal stems from Orielly's auto parts. The amazing part is I haven't lost .5 psi to either tire since with 7K on the tires it is amazing

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
TPadden said:
Am I reading it wrong???? Replacing the inflation valve stem fixes NOTHING in this case. THE VALVE STEM DIDN'T FAIL - the core blew out; simple matter of the mechanic not properly screwing it in. A sloppy mech would have done the same EVEN with a new valve. Replace the mech.
yes you read it wrong, he said the metal insert blew out, that is the piece molded in the rubber stem.

while in Colorado after CCR I had a set of tires put on my wifes RT, they did not replace the valve stem, it seperated from the insert we were been running about 85 - 90 and her front tire went flat, she was lucky REAL DAMN LUCKY!

I was pissed! i mean seriously PISSED at them!
I was also pissed at myself for not telling them to replace the valve stem, being a mechanic and starting off in a tire shop many years ago, it is habit to replace stems every tire change. One time it wasn't done and it could have cost my wifes life!

Tom

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me while at CCR in Breckenridge. Had to have the bike towed back to Breckenridge and wait 2 days for repairs. I had assumed, also wrongly, that the dealer replaced them when they change the tire. Not. They will from now on, as I'll make sure I request it.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I believe this is what John is talking about.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve you hit the nail right on the head. That is exactly what happened to me. I'm mad as hell at myself and the dealers for allowing it to get this far. We dodged another bullet and I am that much wiser for it. Lesson learned.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking TPadden has a point too, tho....I may be fortunate in that the local dealer here in Nashville--Bloodworth--won awards for their service--I believe they were voted best in the nation for a ship their size last year. I'd be interested in hearing a critique from anyone who has used them. Not sure about Reno, Nevada's dealer/service but would appreciate some feedback about them, too, since I'll be spending large portions of time at my other home there in the next 2-3 years as well. I do recall that a visit to their showroom left me with a bad taste in my mouth due to the complete lack of customer attention, sticker shock and a general sense of malaise.

·
Registered
538 Posts
docwagner said:
An often overlooked important piece of hardware. I always have them change my valve stems and now have gone to metal stems. Makes it easier to inflate the tires too.
What stems do you use? I got the metal stims at NAPA (got part # from this site) but due to the ridge on my wheel it doesn't seat properly. What do ya'll do about that?

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
The metal stems that I bought, based on part numbers given here, didn't quite fit either. So I just tried different rubber washer configurations until it all worked. I may have also left the top cover washer off of one wheel, but that was 5 months and 10K miles ago, so I don't remember exactly. I also used a scotch-brite pad to clean the inside of the wheels thoroughly, especially where the bead seats. No problems losing air since.

·
Registered
220 Posts
How do you install new valve stems?

I'm in the process of changing my rear tire for the first time, and as someone mentioned on another thread, I'm starting to question my sanity!

Anyway, I have new BMW valve stems and pulled the old stems out. Now I'm having trouble installing the new ones.

What is the trick to install the new (rubber) valve stems?

I was going to try pulling on the cap with pliers while pushing from inside the rim, but don't want to damage the cap or separate the valve core from the rubber.

Any advice is appreciated!

Joe

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Joe,

You can buy a valve stem tool at most parts stores. It's a long handle with a hinge at one end and it threads onto the valve stem which alows you to pull the valve stem through the wheel. However after seeing this thread I will be replacing my valve stems with metal stems ASAP. I change my own tires and I always replace the stems, but after seeing the link to the picture of the failed stem I will never use rubber stems again. I was amazed that the metal part was just a smooth tube with nothing to grab hold of the rubber part of the stem.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
I second the other suggestions: toss the rubber stems and get full metal ones. Especially if you got yours from BMW. Even "new" rubber stems have been known to let go. The chance of it happening to you may be small, but the severity of the failure is great. It just isn't worth it when there is a known low-cost but high-quality solution easily available.

·
Registered
99 Posts
is the extra weight of the metal stems any problem when balancing?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Valve stem failure

Howdy all..

on the old K1200LT board, there was a thread that ran for a while regarding valve stem failure. All and sundry joined in with their theories as to why it happens, when it happens, what happens - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Someone came up with a BMW service bulletin about this very topic, and in it was clearly stated: Valve stems are to be replaced during tyre changes. I had a copy of the bulletin on my computer, but as that was something like three computers ago, I can no longer locate it.

Most of us use BMW dealers to get our tyres - it strikes me as interesting that none of the dealers seem to comply with this directive, by default. In fact, several of the dealers that I go to don't even carry stock of the stems.

If anyone out there has a copy of the bulletin, might be a good candidate for the Hall of Wisdom..

Regards
Chris Paine
Carool NSW

01 K1200LT Champagne

1 - 20 of 22 Posts