BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
"The driver later said he was driving approximately 10 kph, and there was nothing he could do to stop the truck from overturning."

In what universe would that be?? No way he was only going 10kph=6.2mph.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
About 12 months ago in Sydney a young bloke who was stopped at the front of the traffic lights in a car was crushed when a similar truck tipover happened.
Freakish and just in the wrong place/wrong time.
This Chinese guy was very lucky... stupid as he was for being way out past where he should have been..
You just never think this sort of shit will happen.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
If the motorcyclist had been back behind the white "stop" line at the red light (where he was supposed to be) instead of halfway in the intersection he would not have had an issue... but you've got to give him credit for being aware of what was happening.

I don't think I could back up the LT that quick!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I am just now seeing this.
I played the video several times then played it over and over just for 1 and 2 seconds pause go back. All traffic stopped so best guess driver had left turn arrow. If he was telling the truth about his speed could have been his load shifted (not properly secured). You could see the trailer going in that first second momentum did the rest. The cyclist was just in the right place at the wrong time.
If he was in the lane with the black sedan behind the white line he would have had no way out and could have been sandwich. If he was behind that same car and that driver did the same thing he could have backed up over the motorcycle.
That was a freak accident. I have seen a semi rear end another semi in standing traffic I mean we were inching along moving up a little at a time when :kaboom: one truck rear ended the other fortunately I was one lane over and about two truck lengths back. Most speculated the 2nd driver must have dosed off however by the time we got around the wreck much of the nose was inside the front trailer. Stuff happens.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I don't think I could back up the LT that quick!
Ron, if you were on the LT your instincts would have kicked in resulting in a "Matrix" like back flip and dismount from the LT :D

That guy was way the hell out in the intersection. It just reminds me that in most accidents you need multiple failures to occur: bike out of position, possibly weight shift on truck, truck turning too fast for the intersection, etc.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts