BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the wash in waterproofing products like Nikwax? Any recommendations. From what I have read it is recommended that you re-waterproof your riding gear occasionally as it loses it's effectiveness after several cleanings :confused: I am planning a Spring ride to Key West and am pretty certain it will not be a completely dry round trip.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I used Nikwax cleaner and wash-in waterproofer last Fall before the cooler weather started. They seemed to have worked OK but earlier this year I needed to use the spray-on water proofer on the arms of my jacket. The wash-in didn't seem to do as good a job as I had expected. I have a Kilimanjaro jacket, four years old and 72,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
I used the Niwax also.. just a week ago. Results.. very mixed.. did not keep me dry as I expected.

The cost is also pretty high.... to not get a "guarantee" of it working.... so I will have to look into other options.

Oh.. btw, I also have a "Killimanjaro" jacket .. at 3 years and 12k of use.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nikwax yes !

I use Nikwax cleaner and wash-in waterproofer at the beginning of each riding season....(it's already done for this year)

not hard to do and no problems with the washer after ur done
no residue to get on the other clothes .

Darien coat and pants 5 years old with 80,000 + miles on them

still weather proof not got wet yet......

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've used Nikwax but find that the areas that really hit the water (crooks of arms, shoulders) really need something extra, so I supplement with a spray-on. I don't trust Nikwax on its own. I find on my bike that the worse 'wetting' occurs at lower speeds as the airflow doesn't take the water away, and it's not dependent on the volume of water coming down (unless it's a torrent, that is). I rode through a thunderstorm at 45 mph years ago and stayed quite dry - until I stopped, and then my crotch got soaked :eek: The only real wet area to that point was my feet from the road spray...

The spray on really works wonders my gloves.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ridesalot said:
I use Nikwax cleaner and wash-in waterproofer at the beginning of each riding season....(it's already done for this year)
The riding season has a beginning and end?????

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I use Nikwax Tech wash, wash-in waterproof and down wash all work well and worth the price

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also use use Nikwax Tech wash, wash-in waterproof which work well for me on both my motorcycle gear and other gortex gear I use. When I had an Aerostitch they recommended after washing to spray on scotch guard whic also worked great. I believe the idea is to have something on the outter fabric that allows the water to bead. You might want to try scothc guard - can buy most anywhere and not very pricy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nikwax is good stuff

You don't say what the material is that you wish to treat. My winter sports gear gets a fresh wash and retreatment with Nikwax products each year. It is very important to use their wash before using the water proofing product...
Fedexrider said:
Does anyone have any experience with the wash in waterproofing products like Nikwax? Any recommendations. From what I have read it is recommended that you re-waterproof your riding gear occasionally as it loses it's effectiveness after several cleanings :confused: I am planning a Spring ride to Key West and am pretty certain it will not be a completely dry round trip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts