BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And a bright good afternoon to all you honyockers out there in BMWland. Fine day here in the Heartland, temps are finally turning respectable.

Washed the RT up this morning, and removed tar (particularly on the chrome exhaust parts, front and rear. Typically soap and water on the wash, maybe that "Ice" car wax if I'm feeling ambitious. Tar is another story.

Now then - how do you guys and gals remove road tar? I used gas, and "Goop," which did ok (again, only on the chrome - not on painted parts). I see that BMW has a tar remover under their label also, though I haven't tried it. My method is toxic and slow, but effective. Any better way?

Thanks.

Best, John

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mineral spirits, Stoddard solvent (naptha), or kerosene work well.

I wouldn't use gas for fire reasons, and that the newer fuels contain some very powerful solvents that will damage many paints.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's not a Harley.
If it's a nice day.....ride, don't clean.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
WD-40 works for me. I also use it to remove the glue from wheel weights.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have used kerosene for years and when I purchased a Mini they spray it with oil protectant
and over the summer it leaks out of cervices and I use the kerosene there on painted
areas with no problems over the years I have had it..

I use it soaked on rag and do rocker panels on cars and then wash and wax after.
On painted areas in engine compartment I cut cheap paint brushes down and use kerosene
to clean oily dirt buildup and use another brush and wax and wipe and have had good results.

·
Registered
205 Posts
saddleman said:
WD-40 works for me. I also use it to remove the glue from wheel weights.
+1 on the WD-40 for tar
Honda Spray Cleaner and Wax for the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I found the safest is NON GRIT/PUMICE hand cleaner like Go-Jo, put it on & let it soak 5 minutes or so. Real tough tar calls for Mineral Spirits, non detergent engine oil or Toluene, pretty safe and does not evaporate too quick. You don't want to strip the clear coat, I'de rather have the tar.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Do you guys have Holts products over there? If so, Holts spray on tar gel. Make sure its gel. The non gel evaporates too quickly. You could try a clay bar. Rips all crud off and if used with a detailer spray as a lubricant leaves a brilliant shine. Otherwise Autoglym tar remover, otherwise diesel (or kerosene as others have said).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts