BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all Thanks to "bigbear" and "Boatzo" for their help in helping me purchase an LT in January. "Nice Ride"

This Forum has been a wealth of information.....can anyone tell me if the color black was offered in 2003? The brochure shows Titan Silver; Anthracite and Impala Brown. Could this be a 2002 bike? The dealer advertised and sold it as a 2003. Any light you can shed on this item would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Claus, swing the drivers seat open and near the battery there is a foil sticker that shows the date of manufacture and the model year. Easy to find and lots of additional good reading on the sticker too!

BTW I realize you are pretty new to the forum so you may not realize yet that the purple ones are the purdiest! ;).

Loren

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Loren; the manufacture date is 0602 so it is a 2002 model. There is always someone on this forum with an answer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The color code is 716 and it is called "Night Black" ....I believe that the bike is a 2002 model.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,101 Posts
Date of manufacture can be misleading as my "05" was built in April of 04 and I took delivery in June of 04. But then again they relased the 05 type bike in Europe as an 04.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about the model year after seeing the 0602 manufacture date; the paint code 716 was not offered in 2003 so it firms up the model year.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Claus said:
I thought about the model year after seeing the 0602 manufacture date; the paint code 716 was not offered in 2003 so it firms up the model year.
Claus - you are correct regarding Black not being offered in 2003. However, there were some legit Black 2003s produced. BMW had some leftover tupperware which was used in 2003 production, but they are very rare.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ted; I will wait until the title comes back from motor vehicle...based on the manufacture date and your comments it could be possible that I did end up with one that had 02 Tupperware.

That aside the bike only has 12K on it and runs out perfect. With winter not wanting to leave the North Country riding has been minimized.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
If you do a thread search on "VIN" number , you'll find a link to a German site ( IIRC ) that lets you enter part of your VIN... I think its something like last 8 digits... and it'll come back with the build info.
You can then translate that so it makes sense with Google translate.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Claus said:
Thanks Ted; I will wait until the title comes back from motor vehicle...based on the manufacture date and your comments it could be possible that I did end up with one that had 02 Tupperware.

That aside the bike only has 12K on it and runs out perfect. With winter not wanting to leave the North Country riding has been minimized.
Here is a VIN Decoder - works for any BMW including autos:

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I have an '03 in Night Black

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all the responses and help...this community is truly an asset to all BMW riders.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Ted" the BMW decoder shows the manufacture date of 2002/07; "Starfighter" thanks for your post...nice to know there are other 03 Night Blacks running around the country. "slmorley and CWS" the 8th digit is "3"

Clearly a 2003 Black LT!

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ted is correct, leftover tupperware. I have one of those "rare" 2003 night black bikes as well. Geez, maybe I can get more for it when I trade up to the K16

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
03 night black. best color. best year. :thumb: ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts