BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've only had my K12LT now for three weeks. Bought a brand new 04 model, I now have 2500Klm on it. My wife "Catherine" and I went for a ride with the Harley club on the social day ride. Great bunch of people, we had a very nice day. However on the way home it started raining quite heavily. "A Quick Note" When I had the bike only a few days I was riding home from work in very light rain and had to brake when a car in front of me decided she may wait for a car 1/2 a mile up the road approaching a roundabout. My back wheel stepped out. Luckily the car in front decided she could keep going and I was able to get things back on track. I only mention this to let you know I was already a little wary so when the rain started today I made sure I took it easy. Now we had been in the rain for some time and I had just come down a very steep windy section of road without incident. The road now opened up to flat country with only long gradual curves. I was travelling at around 85 to 90klm that's only around 50Mph when going around a very gentle left curve both the front first followed immediately by the rear lost traction and slid across the road from around the middle of the lane to the right wheel track where both tyres regained traction probably only lasted for a second. Now I have never had a bike do that to me before. Last bike I had for four years was a VFR800 with Bridgstone 020's the only time the tires let go in the wet was on painted white lines with the bike lent over a bit. Today I was "Luckily" almost upright as the bend was so slight and the speed so low. I'm thinking there must have been a patch of oil or something on the road as well as plenty of water. I've read lots of threads on this site regarding tyres where people on the Metzlers have said they don't have problems in the wet. But I've only had the bike three weeks and twice while riding very sedately I've had tyres let go, back tire only is one thing but when both go sideways it's another. If this is what I can expect from Metzlers I'm going to change over to the 020's. From what I have read "on past tyre threads" sounds like most, or at least a lot of you would say I could expect better wet wether performance from the 020's but reduced wear. My last bikes used to wear out my 020's in around 5 to 6 thousand Klm that's only around 4k miles.
So If I can get 10k klm on an LT I'll be happy. And if it stops the wet weather slides I'll be even happier. A Question however is It sounds like you can get the 020s in both a radial and a Bias Ply. Is the 020 bias ply going to be much the same as the Metzler? Does the radial 020 handle the weight of the LT? and is it the radial 020's that are delaminating? Any info welcome

Regard to you all

Nick

·
Registered
308 Posts
You don't mention the pressure you have in the tires. I have done a bit of empirical data gathering of my own experience. (Caution, what follows is my personal opinion, backed up only by anecdotal evidence). Metzler wet weather performance is effected significantly by air pressure, At 39fr/45rr I have never had an adhesion problem. The same holds true for tar snakes. If you pump them up to 42fr/48-50rr they get a whole lot slipperier in a hurry, in both cases. Even from my car days, I remember that if you pump up bias ply tires significantly above the vehicle manufacturers recommendation adhesion will suffer.

At 39/45 I still can get 15K+ miles out of front and rear, but I always take them off before that. (Caution, opinion follows again) I think the adhesion problem that people are having with the Metzlers is, at least partly, caused by their insistence on inflating them six to eight pounds over BMWs recommendation, which does seem too low.

Try experimenting with you inflation pressures and see what works for you.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Bridgestone

Hi Spike,

I have had my LT since April and put about 13K on it since then. The 020s come in both Radial and Bias Ply. I have used both. No problems with either in the rain. Although, I slipped once on what must have been oil on a turn. Just scared me and the bike recovered. From what I can tell, they both work fine. Just make sure that you keep your tire pressure up (at least 42 front and 48 rear) or the fronts will feather quickly.

I have 10K on my set of bias ply with plenty of tread left. Unfortunately, I will have to change them out due to a nail I just picked up in the rear. But, my choice has always been the 020s.

The bias plys, from what I understand, are meant for the '05. But they seem to work fine on my '03.

The site http://www.swmototires.com seems to have the best price on them.

$92.95 for the front radial
$113.95 for the back radial

I would probably just stick with the radials. The price difference is a buck or two.

Good luck.

Bob Glassman
'03 K12LT - Impala Brown 14K

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Them Metzlers do some strange stuff when wet. Especially painted road markings and tar snakes. Be extra careful in the wet on Metzlers.

·
Registered
284 Posts
metzlers

ive only put about 5000 miles on my LT so far but it has the metzlers and ive ridden on two occasions through some of the hardest rain imagineable and never had any incidents with slipping or sliding.....

42 front, 48 rear

i might be more cautious in rain then the average bear.......

kip
99 LT
jefferson, ga

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I abandoned Metzelers for the same issue. I never had a front tire slip, but several slips on the rear.

In about 10 sets of 020s, no slips, except for one accelerating to pass up hill on wet pavement, stepped out when the rear tire hit the painted line, but caught hard as soon as it hit pavement. That was a scare, but fully explainable. The slips I had on the one rear Metzeler were not explainable like that, just wet pavement kick outs.

I actually got BETTER mileage on the rear radial BT020s, over 13,000 miles compared to the 11,500 on the one rear 880. The front is another matter though, considerably less mileage than the front 880, 9,000 for the 020, at 11,500 the front 880 still had a lot of tread left.

·
Registered
185 Posts
In the rain Friday

and taking a mild right turn when a tar snake caused my front to slip across the 2 inch snake, really wierd!
I am going to bridgestone as soon as these 880s wear out!
larry

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Wow, I must be lucky. I've ridden in rain many times from light to heavy, and never did the Metzler feel like there were going to slip in the rain. I do hate the tar snakes though... and the metal grate bridges, and the pre-roughing of the road they do just before they resurface them, and brick roads and loose stones and... hmmm maybe I should try a different tire.

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
Hard to say for sure. My experience withe the ME880s was also not good, with several wet slips, sluggish handling, and a tendency to follow lines or grooves in the road.

Since both of your tires let go in the same spot, you may have hit some oil or other substance. That's just scary no matter what the cause.

I got some wet weather experience with the BT020 Bias tires on my '02 LT this last week. They were fine, with one minor rear slip on a wet banked curve. They do also tend to follow road grooves, but not as bad as the ME880s. They're showing decent wear, with reasonable tread left after almost 7K miles and the front just starting to show cupping.

Still, I've had good luck with the BT020 Radial rear and Avon AV45 front, so I'll probably go back to those for the next set. Note that I did have one BT020 rear separate, but that was in Europe after lots of high speed riding and some aggressive cornering while fully loaded and two-up. Now I just check both tires at every fuel stop and otherwise don't worry about it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just like to say thanks to all of you for your thoughts.

I will try the 020 radials

I just spent about 20min writing a reply to you all and lost the lot because my computer is playing up.
So I won't write to much this time, I think I have a problem with the RAM. The longer it runs the slower it goes until it does not have the resources left to do anything.

A quick answer to one question is I am running 42f 48r at the moment.

Thanks again Nick

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Spike said:
<<<<<I think I have a problem with the RAM. The longer it runs the slower it goes until it does not have the resources left to do anything.
There are a couple things that can do that. Most likely is an "Adware/Spyware" application installed without your knowledge. Run one of the free spyware detectors and see if you can clean out any of these. If you have not done this before you likely have MANY running.

A pretty good free one is Ad-Aware, you can download it here:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
Run that daily, and you will be surprised how many of these keep being installed without your knowledge.

Clean them all out, then if you don't have a good firewall, install one, such as ZoneAlarm.

Another possible issue is one of your applications having a "memory leak". That is an application that has a bug in it causing it to use memory, then not release it as it should when each operation is complete. This is not terribly uncommon unfortunately. Depending on what OS you are running, there are ways to see what processes are running at any time, and how much memory they are using. If you watch this you can see if any one application's memory usage continues to rise over time. If you find a memory hog, contact the company to see if they have a fix for it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks David

I downloaded Ad Aware would you believe it found over 280 thingy's to be removed. It's made a big difference. It is still slower that It used to be but it's not getting frozen anymore.

Nick

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Screws and Tyres don't mix

Rang around got some prices for tyres today.
Went out for lunch, on the way back picked up a roofing screw in the rear tyre. Didn't go flat just felt and heard the head of the screw on the road. Took it to my BMW dealer who fixed it for nothing. I should have the new tyres by this Friday. I'll let you know what I think of them, after I scrub them in of course.

Nick

·
Registered
66 Posts
Huh??

Metzelers are know for NOT following the grooves in the road. Mine are as stable as can be. Much more so than the Bridgestone radials that came on the bike. I've had all of them slip in the rain. It's a VERY heavy bike. Get real.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Dude said:
Metzelers are know for NOT following the grooves in the road. Mine are as stable as can be. Much more so than the Bridgestone radials that came on the bike. I've had all of them slip in the rain. It's a VERY heavy bike. Get real.
I did not have bad problems with the California rain grooves when I had Metzelers, but did have bad wet slip problems with them. The BT020 Radials were MUCH better wet grip, better twisty handling, and DID handle the grooves better than the Metzelers. The worst rain groove tire for me was the Avon rear. It wallowed badly on the CA grooved freeways.

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
My experiences are just the opposite. The ME880 bias tires always feel sluggish like they're not inflated correctly, follow road imperfections, and slip easily in the wet. BT020 radials handle quickly but predictably, stick well wet or dry, but don't last quite as long. Still, I've twice pulled ME880s off before they were fully worn because I just didn't like the way they felt. The BT020 bias tires seem to be a compromise, with decent handling and traction, and mid-range life. The Avon rear squirmed around way too much, and didn't get much better mileage than the BT020 radials so they're no longer in the running.

My next set will be the BT020 radial rear and Avon radial front again. I'll accept slightly lower life for better handling, predictability, and excellent traction. Tires are a wear item anyway, sorta like brake pads and gas.

That's just my opinion, unless you think that 2 LTs, almost 100K miles, more than a dozen countries and nearly 10 tire changes isn't "real" enough. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts