BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you place a wanted ad and receive a response here or via e-mail that reads as follows:

"Hey I have a friend that has just what you are looking for, please contact him at [email protected] for info."

IT IS A SCAM!!! This has been reported across several forum platforms and it is usually a new member to that forum with only 1 post (to scam you).

Just beware.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
They'll take a check or PayPal, but only friends and family. No way to come back on them to get your money back in either of those two instances. They'll claim the 3% PayPal charges them nets them less money. It does, so offer to bump the sell price up a few dollars to cover the sale. There'll be some other reason why that won't work. RUN! RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! The Tasmanian devil is on the loose! Oops! Got carried away for a moment!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have had 2 responses to my WANTED Add for a 4 Button Cradle mount for the NAV V, VI that the respondents have no posts & want to communicate via email address....NOT me. Also the price 1 wanted was with mailing as much as I can buy brand new in Canada.
I guess I will remove the add & go another route to get away from scammers.
Thanks for the heads up on the forum.

·
Old Dawg
1,566 Posts
I have had 2 responses to my WANTED Add for a 4 Button Cradle mount for the NAV V, VI that the respondents have no posts & want to communicate via email address....NOT me. Also the price 1 wanted was with mailing as much as I can buy brand new in Canada.
I guess I will remove the add & go another route to get away from scammers.
Thanks for the heads up on the forum.
It would be EXTREMELY helpful if you would post the user names of the respondents screen names that sent you the messages. The only way we can ban them and block the IP addresses is if they are reported.

·
Registered
193 Posts
just ended a conversation that started on this forum with guy that had what i was looking for... but his paypal account was "messsed up" and want me to send it to wife account.. Friends and family .. i did not send $ friends and family ... and they returned the payment immediately, then he gave me another paypal account to send to and insisted on friends and family.. This is when i got suspicious .. and question him why he insisted on friends and family.... he did not have a good reason and i told him when he got his pay pal account fixed and could accept payment through the "protected paypal method " to let me know....

figure i just dodged a scam..

·
Old Dawg
1,566 Posts
just ended a conversation that started on this forum with guy that had what i was looking for... but his paypal account was "messsed up" and want me to send it to wife account.. Friends and family .. i did not send $ friends and family ... and they returned the payment immediately, then he gave me another paypal account to send to and insisted on friends and family.. This is when i got suspicious .. and question him why he insisted on friends and family.... he did not have a good reason and i told him when he got his pay pal account fixed and could accept payment through the "protected paypal method " to let me know....

figure i just dodged a scam..
You did dodge a scam, that member you reported (fk0) was based in Nigeria. He has been banned. Good job knowing before hitting any payment buttons that you detected a scam.
For all reading this I strongly encourage, beg and plead that you not pay Friends and Family AND report any suspicious members to us.

Reactions: UNclebudintx

·
Old Dawg
1,566 Posts
Just found two more with the same IP so please be on the lookout for more scam attempts:
DamonG
marindajoseph00

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
A very similar action happened to me when I put my LT on craigslist a few months ago. I received 3 phone calls from a St Helena ( in Napa Valley ) phone number. 3 different voices, a few different stories. "I'm getting it for my boyfriend" "My friend wants to buy it" Here's the kicker, " remove the posting cause I'm gonna buy it. I'll give you an extra $80"

I'm not laughing hardily, but I am still laughing at these guys.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
501 Posts
LOL. I have a 2021 R1250RT with just 600 miles on it. I just didn't like the factory yellow color, or the way it road (not much like my five Harley's), only rode it to church on Sundays, and just want to get rid of it. My loss, your gain, $14,000 USD firm. Send cashiers check, or better yet, paypal friends and family to my paypal account [email protected]. (Yeah, it's a silly email address, but my 4th cousin set it up for me, it's a big family joke, hahaha.) Anyhow, send me your money quick, so you're first in line, and I'll ship it wherever you want. Honest!

/end sarcasm
(honest, this is a joke, don't ban me. I wouldn't sell my non-existent '21 RT for a dime less than $15K! 🙄😵🤮 So tired of this crap.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you place a wanted ad and receive a response here or via e-mail that reads as follows:

"Hey I have a friend that has just what you are looking for, please contact him at [email protected] for info."

IT IS A SCAM!!! This has been reported across several forum platforms and it is usually a new member to that forum with only 1 post (to scam you).

Just beware.
Yeah. Got one just like that. Another similar.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Believe we have another one ... see below ...

Star

D
Donald02
Registered

Joined Oct 14, 2022
5 Posts
Hi

Are you still interested in getting the 2002-2004 K1200RS mirrors?

If you're interested you can directly reach out to the gmail address below a friend of mine has one in excellent condition and it's affordable

[email protected]

Good luck with your search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
IBR# 366
12,211 Posts
If anyone who comes across a suspicious post reports it for review, it makes it easier for the Admins / Mods to deal with it.

Every post has a three-vertical-dots Site navigation menu in the upper right corner. Under this menu is a Report menu item. Clicking this menu item will send a report to be reviewed by Admins & Moderators.

Sometimes these scams show up as a reply to a buying/selling post, or can be sent directly as a private Conversation message, often for a relatively new user with few posts that are generic in nature and not specifically K-bike related.

If a post seems suspicious, you can report is at mentioned above and an Admin / Moderator will review and do a Spam Clean as needed (delete all user's posts, block user's IP address, ban user).

If you're unsure and still interested in the item, then do your own due diligence by looking at a user's post history to see how long they've been active, how often they've posted, if their posts tend to be K-bike related, etc. Maybe even Google their username to see if they show up in other forums with relevant posts there or more generic scam attempts.

We're all adults here, and thus responsible for our own actions. Being informed is important, as is reporting suspicious posts for moderation.

·
Old Dawg
1,566 Posts
Believe we have another one ... see below ...

Star

D
Donald02
Registered

Joined Oct 14, 2022
5 Posts
Hi

Are you still interested in getting the 2002-2004 K1200RS mirrors?

If you're interested you can directly reach out to the gmail address below a friend of mine has one in excellent condition and it's affordable

[email protected]

Good luck with your search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good catch on this one Steve, IP address is of course in Nigeria. 🙄

Member now banned ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts