BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you place a wanted ad and receive a response here or via e-mail that reads as follows:

"Hey I have a friend that has just what you are looking for, please contact him at [email protected] for info."

IT IS A SCAM!!! This has been reported across several forum platforms and it is usually a new member to that forum with only 1 post (to scam you).

Just beware.

Reactions: kbob12 and Gomoca

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have had that very scenario happen to me on this forum before. I was looking for a Unigo trailer and a new member sent me almost the exact line you posted above @jzeiler.

Its sad that society is as corrupt as it is now....

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
They'll take a check or PayPal, but only friends and family. No way to come back on them to get your money back in either of those two instances. They'll claim the 3% PayPal charges them nets them less money. It does, so offer to bump the sell price up a few dollars to cover the sale. There'll be some other reason why that won't work. RUN! RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! The Tasmanian devil is on the loose! Oops! Got carried away for a moment!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have had 2 responses to my WANTED Add for a 4 Button Cradle mount for the NAV V, VI that the respondents have no posts & want to communicate via email address....NOT me. Also the price 1 wanted was with mailing as much as I can buy brand new in Canada.
I guess I will remove the add & go another route to get away from scammers.
Thanks for the heads up on the forum.

·
Old Dawg
3,337 Posts
I have had 2 responses to my WANTED Add for a 4 Button Cradle mount for the NAV V, VI that the respondents have no posts & want to communicate via email address....NOT me. Also the price 1 wanted was with mailing as much as I can buy brand new in Canada.
I guess I will remove the add & go another route to get away from scammers.
Thanks for the heads up on the forum.
It would be EXTREMELY helpful if you would post the user names of the respondents screen names that sent you the messages. The only way we can ban them and block the IP addresses is if they are reported.

·
Registered
192 Posts
just ended a conversation that started on this forum with guy that had what i was looking for... but his paypal account was "messsed up" and want me to send it to wife account.. Friends and family .. i did not send $ friends and family ... and they returned the payment immediately, then he gave me another paypal account to send to and insisted on friends and family.. This is when i got suspicious .. and question him why he insisted on friends and family.... he did not have a good reason and i told him when he got his pay pal account fixed and could accept payment through the "protected paypal method " to let me know....

figure i just dodged a scam..

·
Old Dawg
3,337 Posts
just ended a conversation that started on this forum with guy that had what i was looking for... but his paypal account was "messsed up" and want me to send it to wife account.. Friends and family .. i did not send $ friends and family ... and they returned the payment immediately, then he gave me another paypal account to send to and insisted on friends and family.. This is when i got suspicious .. and question him why he insisted on friends and family.... he did not have a good reason and i told him when he got his pay pal account fixed and could accept payment through the "protected paypal method " to let me know....

figure i just dodged a scam..
You did dodge a scam, that member you reported (fk0) was based in Nigeria. He has been banned. Good job knowing before hitting any payment buttons that you detected a scam.
For all reading this I strongly encourage, beg and plead that you not pay Friends and Family AND report any suspicious members to us.

Reactions: UNclebudintx

·
Old Dawg
3,337 Posts
Just found two more with the same IP so please be on the lookout for more scam attempts:
DamonG
marindajoseph00

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
A very similar action happened to me when I put my LT on craigslist a few months ago. I received 3 phone calls from a St Helena ( in Napa Valley ) phone number. 3 different voices, a few different stories. "I'm getting it for my boyfriend" "My friend wants to buy it" Here's the kicker, " remove the posting cause I'm gonna buy it. I'll give you an extra $80"

I'm not laughing hardily, but I am still laughing at these guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts