BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like this might be normal but would like to know if anyone has tackled noisy shifting when bike has warmed up? When cold the trany shifts nice and quiet. When warm the trany makes a really loud "bang" or "snap" into gear. Kinda embarrassing for such a nice ride! Yes I have checked the tyrany grease and it's topped off.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
RonHolly said:
Yes I have checked the tyrany grease and it's topped off.
I hope you meant to say "tranny oil." If you are comparing it to Japanese tranny's then yes it is a bit more agricultural. However it is durable.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
These are what are banging when you shift gears (shift dogs). Just note the lack of wear and this one has over 100K on it.

I run Mobil 1, 75W 140 in mine and it is pretty quiet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
jzeiler said:
These are what are banging when you shift gears (shift dogs). Just note the lack of wear and this one has over 100K on it.

Thanks for the visuals. When I tore down my 1999LT at 167K the dogs showed minimal wear after all the banging. I rode my 2004LT to 90K with no tranny problems. I use BMW 75W 140 gear oil.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jzeiler said:

Thanks John! I can now see why it's such a loud bang when shifted. When the dogs inner-mess there is about a 1/4"-1/2" movement towards the opposing gear slot/dog. Think I will try the 75w-140 gear oil as you are using. Thanks,,
Ron

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
if you do not preload the shifter a bit she will clunk when shifting, all the 3 shaft trannys used on the Rs or the Ks the same

·
Registered
72 Posts
My cousin is the Technical Editor for the BMW Car Club of America's Monthly Magazine RONDEL. He both drives and rides BMW's and has done extensive research on oils and lubricants for all applications. He swears by Red Line Synthetic Oils and Lubes. I know of countless instances where Red Line Gear Oil stopped 2nd gear crunching in car transmissions of owners who were not smart enough to change the transmission oil regularly. I have nothing against Mobil 1; just have an expert in the family who advises me. Another product you may wish to try is B&G Extreme Pressure Concentrate added to whatever transmission oil you choose. I have personal experience with this product and have seen amazing results.

Best wishes,

Will

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
jzeiler said:

I used mineral 85w-140 for the gear box and really made a big differance. Shifts a lot quieter and driving down the road it seems less noisy. Good suggestion and thanks.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Nasty,..... swearing around oil, not good. I usually keep the real swearing for failures as a result of no oil, hopefully very rare ;) If it really bothers you, snick her into gear first then press the starter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts