BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 LT that I am still using the 6 CD player on and want to convert to a MP3 or I POD or want ever. The objective is lots of high quality music. I also want to retain the control at the handle bars ---- soooo ---- how do I do this and what are the cost.

I am not an expert but was able to install PIA running lights and an Auto Com system without negatively impacting the bike. I do not understand the Ice cable but it sounds expensive so would be interested in other options but if that is the best option I am willing to fork over the $. I have not purchased a player yet.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
MP3 Player installation

Is there anything out there about connecting an MP3 player to the comm system so it plays in stereo? My MP3 player (from Creative Labs) pretty much looks like a regular CD player. I like it because the buttons are big, but it does get in the way a bit. Anyway, I want to connect it into my BMW comm system so it will play in stereo.

I've seen the posts about the iPod installs, and I'd be willing to go out and get one (and all the other stuff mentioned) if:
1. The songs or groups of songs could be displayed (like how the CD player shows what disks are playing)
2. I could control the play lists through the switch on the handle bar cluster for the CD player
3. I can power the iPod through the bike (I know nothing about the iPod so if it has long lasting batteries or re-chargeable ones I guess it would be fine)

Any help would be appreciated. They are removing the plastic this weekend for my 12K service, so it would be great to get everything done then, if possible.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hallo Fred,

even if the ICE link is not the cheapest solution it is the only one to use the existing handle bar remote control.
I put the IPOD into the topcase and removed everything out from the side box.
Main advantage: easy to conect if the cables are already routed for the CD changer.

http://www.bmw-bilderpool.de/album72

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Top Case Ipod Install

Like many other aggravated user of the Ice Link, I've been experiencing the Pod locking up after just about an hours worth of playing time. A number of people belive that the side case is just not providing adequate air flow to keep the Ipod/Icelink unit cool. Installing it in the top case should provide more air flow by simply being a large space.

Are you experiencing any of these problems?

Rob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rob,

since the setup of my IceLink I never had a lockup. I am using the Version 2.07 IPOD mini with 4GB and 5 playlists. The only "small issue" is that sometimes at the beginning of a song the music stops for about 0,5s and then goes on as usual. I didn't find out yet why and when this happens.
I used the unit also for long rides (max was 5 hours without brake) I am not using special features as song text display in the radio display. So I cannot tell you anything negative. The only real problem for me was that the dension cable was not available in Europe. So I had to buy this through a collegue in the states. Meanwhile a german company offers a customized product here. 1.5 m cable instead of 4m standrad one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cheap I-Pod Shuffle install

I use one of those cassette tape drive adapters with a mini stereo plug on a wire to connect my IPod shuffle to the stereo in my 2000 K1200LTC.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Cassette tape adapter for mp3 player

I am interested to know how the cassette tape adapter works with regard to power through the speakers front and back?
Do you get the full benefit of the sound system?
Will this work with any MP3 player? I have a creative ZEN micro and usually run it through helmet speakers.
Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
FredTurner said:
I have a 2000 LT that I am still using the 6 CD player on and want to convert to a MP3 or I POD or want ever. The objective is lots of high quality music. I also want to retain the control at the handle bars ---- soooo ---- how do I do this and what are the cost.

I am not an expert but was able to install PIA running lights and an Auto Com system without negatively impacting the bike. I do not understand the Ice cable but it sounds expensive so would be interested in other options but if that is the best option I am willing to fork over the $. I have not purchased a player yet.
I say go for the IPOd and Icelink from Best Buy I paid 360.00 for the pair with a online discount. otherwise it is 400.000 or so ( Iwent with a IPOD Mini)
It took me more time to remove the cd changer than hooking everything up.
you may want to go to the old site and look for the icelink updates. But I am extremely happy with the ipod/icelink setup. NO MORE SKIPPY CDS!!!

The icelink is a DIRECT plug and play
I did pull the wires under the seat so there was not excess wire in the saddlebag.
I can send pictures if you want.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help

frankenralf said:
Hallo Fred,

even if the ICE link is not the cheapest solution it is the only one to use the existing handle bar remote control.
I put the IPOD into the topcase and removed everything out from the side box.
Main advantage: easy to conect if the cables are already routed for the CD changer.

http://www.bmw-bilderpool.de/album72
Ralf,

I took your advise and have purchased the IceLink and the I-Pod. Did you disconnect your battery before you connected the IceLink?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts