BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my Voice II today for my new 05LT. When I got home I started reading the installation instructions and found out that I need a Y cable because my LT did not come with the BMW GPS. The Y cable plugs into the optional accessory plug and into the Voice II.
Is this where the Voice II gets 12V power? If it is, can I just splice into these wires to provide power and avoid going back to the dealer (who might not have this Y cord anyway)?

Thanks,

Bruce Hodges
Kansas City

·
Registered
588 Posts
Mike in the service department at Engles just installed a Voice II on his '05 LT. I am sure he can answer all of your questions.

I will be installing one soon on my '05.

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
The VoiceII gets its power from the connection to the radio. I think, though I haven't been able to find a schematic, that the 'Y' cable provides speed pulses to trigger the speed controlled volume on the VoiceII. The VoiceII will actually operate without the 'Y' cable.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Y-Cable

randy said:
The VoiceII gets its power from the connection to the radio. I think, though I haven't been able to find a schematic, that the 'Y' cable provides speed pulses to trigger the speed controlled volume on the VoiceII. The VoiceII will actually operate without the 'Y' cable.
Thanks Randy, I forgot about the Voice II having speed controlled volume. Since the Y-Cable goes to the Navigator II also, it must carry 12V power - it's just not used for the Voice II. Guess the Y-Cable saves BMW from having to provide another plug.

Thanks again (and for your great review in the Review Forum),

Bruce Hodges
Kansas City

·
Registered
588 Posts
I just installed my y-cable (with some good advice from Bruce) and can confirm that the cable only connects one brown cable from the accessory plug to one white cable on the VII harness, presumably for the VII speed control.

BMWs documentation on this is non-existent. Had we all known this in advance we probably would have just connected a jumper wire between the two. The cost of the cable aside, it seems the dealer has to order these which means another trip for the customer.

It does give us a wire to power gps and other things with but we could have done this from the accessory plug.

Oh well. I am very happy with the VII.

p.s: The operators manual says to disble the speed control on the radio when using the VII. I guess they would be working together which could be overkill.

·
Registered
182 Posts
instructions

Do you have the install instructions for the voice II? Can you share them?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Renzo said:
Do you have the install instructions for the voice II? Can you share them?
I have them on my home computer. If you don't get them tonight remind me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Did you have a wireing diagram to install the voice II
bruce2000ltc said:
Picked up my Voice II today for my new 05LT. When I got home I started reading the installation instructions and found out that I need a Y cable because my LT did not come with the BMW GPS. The Y cable plugs into the optional accessory plug and into the Voice II.
Is this where the Voice II gets 12V power? If it is, can I just splice into these wires to provide power and avoid going back to the dealer (who might not have this Y cord anyway)?

Thanks,

Bruce Hodges
Kansas City

·
Registered
874 Posts
Speed volumn control

My '05 came with the GPS (which I left with the DPO) so I assume I have the 'y' connector. But my variable speed volumn control does not work on the VoiceII. And before you say anthing, I did shut it off on the radio console.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts