BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My VOICE II system decided to stop working today. The speakers work (output from all sources) but I cannot get the mics to pick up anything. I have set the input levels on both mics from 1 to 10 with no success. The Intercom is set on. I also tried reseting the unit. Any ideas before I rip it out?

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
the1mavin said:
My VOICE II system decided to stop working today. The speakers work (output from all sources) but I cannot get the mics to pick up anything.
Do you have both helmets plugged in at the same time? If the passenger headset isn't plugged in, the driver's mic won't trigger the VOX.

If that's not it, have you done anything to the bike recently (maintenance or farkle addtion)?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Voice Ii

Thanks Mark--

Both helmets are plugged in and I have audio from both.

The bike was apart for my 12000 mile tune a couple weeks ago--last weekend was the first time I rode two up since and when I noticed the problem.

Tim

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
the1mavin said:
Thanks Mark--

Both helmets are plugged in and I have audio from both.

The bike was apart for my 12000 mile tune a couple weeks ago--last weekend was the first time I rode two up since and when I noticed the problem.

Tim
Sorry for all the questions, but needed to chase this down: Do both mics not respond, or just the driver's?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
mneblett said:
Sorry for all the questions, but needed to chase this down: Do both mics not respond, or just the driver's?
What I'm trying to do is determine whether there is a "common" failure with the mics, or a single mic problem -- that will greatly simplify the diagnostics, as there's not too many single-failure-takes-out-both-mics failure possibilities.

If it's a single mic failure, I'd actually be checking the headset cord before ripping into the bike, i.e., is the middle connector fully pushed together, is the headset connector pins not bent/broken,, are the lower calbe pins at the bike socket ok, is the socket undamaged, etc..

I recently had a single-headset, due primarily to my own abuse -- I had to replace my upper cable and the plug mounted on the helmet because one of the fine pins in the upper cable conenctor had broken off in the plug, and I had to nearly destroy the plug to get the broken pin out. The plug continued to work (mostly) for a few more months, but gradually the connection got spottier until the left speaker finally wouldn't receive any audio. $42 for a new helmet plug and all's good.

Anyway, back to your system -- more clues, pls? :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
more details...

Mark,

Both rider and passenger mics are not responding. I tried switching helmets and cables--I also have a spare lower and upper cable that I tried in both sockets. Cables all appear good--I haven't started checking continuity yet.

I have tested with the bike running and not--same results.

I tested with audio sources selected(am, fm, and cd) and also just on the "intercom" setting.

I don't know what else to check. I was thinking that since the issue is occurring on both headsets that the issue probably is with the unit itself or a connection between the radio and the VOICE II.

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
the1mavin said:
I don't know what else to check. I was thinking that since the issue is occurring on both headsets that the issue probably is with the unit itself or a connection between the radio and the VOICE II.
Ok, useful info.

The mics are separately controllable at the VOICE II operating panel, suggesting that they are on separate wires, and therefore a single fault in the connection between the unit and the radio is not a likely possibility.

When you press the PTT switch, does the mic(s) stay dead or operate?

The reason I ask is the PTT, rear headset and optional accessory harness plugs are very similar, and I suppose it's possible something is in the wrong socket (although I haven't come up with a plausible combination of mis-matched plugs to match the symptoms yet).

I will say I'm getting closer to pointing at a problem in the VOX trigger circuit in the VOICE II unit itself -- but I still have *strong* doubts about this. External wiring problems are far more likely, especially given the very recent service, and the *high* chance of inadvertantly mis-connecting (or more likely, simply inadequately pushing together) the multitude of connectors under the stingray.

Happy to keep guessing as long as you want to keep playing! ;)

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
mneblett said:
Ok, useful info.

The mics are separately controllable at the VOICE II operating panel, suggesting that they are on separate wires, and therefore a single fault in the connection between the unit and the radio is not a likely possibility.
Actually, a failure in the wiring to the rear headset, affecting the microphone circuit could cause this failure. I think the VoiceII detects the 'load' of the rear microphone before enabling the VOX circuit. If it never detects a rear microphone, neither will work. I would inspect the wiring for abrasion or cuts. Another possibility (one I have never verified) is that the VoiceII detects *both* microphones before allowing the VOX to function. If this is the case, a failure in the microphone, helmet wiring, upper cable or lower cable would cause both microphones to cease functioning.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
randy said:
Actually, a failure in the wiring to the rear headset, affecting the microphone circuit could cause this failure. I think the VoiceII detects the 'load' of the rear microphone before enabling the VOX circuit. If it never detects a rear microphone, neither will work. I would inspect the wiring for abrasion or cuts. Another possibility (one I have never verified) is that the VoiceII detects *both* microphones before allowing the VOX to function. If this is the case, a failure in the microphone, helmet wiring, upper cable or lower cable would cause both microphones to cease functioning.
I believe you are correct, but he's apparently not getting mic use at any time, while the selective VOX enablement is only an intercom function -- that's why I haven't been leaning this direction. But what the hey -- no reason to not check.

In fact, if I've mis-interpreted the clues and the issue *is* solely a VOX issue, I bet I can point him *directly* to the problem -- a disconnected connector under the stingray from the VOICE II to the rear headset socket, which was likely missed during the 12K service reassembly.

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
OK - more data. I went out and checked on my bike.
  • The VOX circuit will trigger as long as the rear helmet is plugged in
  • Even if there is no helmet plugged in the front the rear microphone will function
  • The front and rear headsets appear to have separate VOX function. I.E. the rear VOX only enables the rear microphone and the front VOX only enables the front microphone.
  • A VOX trigger on either helmet will cause music muting on both headsets.
  • The PTT switch only enables the microphone to the CB or FRS, not a helmet to helmet communication (I found this trait early on).
This leads us back to the microphone wiring for the rear headset -or- there is a problem internal to the VoiceII.

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
the1mavin said:
I have set the input levels on both mics from 1 to 10 with no success.
The setting from 1 to 10 is a VOX trigger level with 1 being the most sensitive and 10 the least. For diagnosing set both to 1, plug both helmets in and see if you can cause the radio music in the headsets to mute with a burst of sound into either microphone.

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
the1mavin said:
I have tested with the bike running and not--same results.
Bike running or not will not affect the function of the VoiceII
I tested with audio sources selected(am, fm, and cd) and also just on the "intercom" setting.
Source selection on the head unit will have no effect on the function of the VoiceII. The 'intercom' position in the source selection loop is for possible future expansion but is not supported by the VoiceII.
I was thinking that since the issue is occurring on both headsets that the issue probably is with the unit itself or a connection between the radio and the VOICE II.
The problem could be with the VoiceII, but is not related to the wiring between the radio and the VoiceII

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
mneblett said:
In fact, if I've mis-interpreted the clues and the issue *is* solely a VOX issue, I bet I can point him *directly* to the problem -- a disconnected connector under the stingray from the VOICE II to the rear headset socket, which was likely missed during the 12K service reassembly.
The only thing that precludes that is the fact that he says he has audio coming from *both* headsets. If the plug was left unplugged it would kill the headsets as well as the microphone.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
randy said:
The only thing that precludes that is the fact that he says he has audio coming from *both* headsets. If the plug was left unplugged it would kill the headsets as well as the microphone.
Yep -- that's what I get for trying to think at bed time :)

Seriously, this is what's been the mystifying part for me. Now that you've reminded me of this, I'm at the point that, after checking all the connections under the stingray, I'd be hitting the dealer to check/replace the VOICE II unit.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Voice Ii

All--

Thanks for your continued input. I am working way too much to tear into it and start investigating until problably Saturday. The PTT does stop the audio, so it appears to be working. I just got a new seat from Rick Mayer this week so I will be pulling the bike apart to connect the heaters anyways and will start checking wiring then.

Thanks again,
Tim

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
the1mavin said:
All--

Thanks for your continued input. I am working way too much to tear into it and start investigating until problably Saturday. The PTT does stop the audio, so it appears to be working. I just got a new seat from Rick Mayer this week so I will be pulling the bike apart to connect the heaters anyways and will start checking wiring then.

Thanks again,
Tim
Well, the fact that the PTT triggers the VOX is good news -- that means the internal VOX circuit in the VOICE II unit is good. Sounds like you've pretty much narrowed it to a connection issue.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the voices are back in my VOICE II

Mark and Randy,

Thanks for all you assistance. Your notes about the passenger mic having to be plugged in got me thinking. I broke out the meter and found that there was a problem with the wire between the stingray and the passenger seat. There are six wires. Number six was my problem. There were no visible signs of damage, but continuity was very inconsistent on number six. I removed the cable and removed the number six pin--the wire fell right out. With some careful surgery I opened the small pin connector and got the wire back in--I soldered it for extra measure, put it all back together and it is now working great.

Thanks again,
Tim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Same Problem

mneblett said:
Do you have both helmets plugged in at the same time? If the passenger headset isn't plugged in, the driver's mic won't trigger the VOX.

If that's not it, have you done anything to the bike recently (maintenance or farkle addtion)?
Please note my post of this day. Same problem(s). Did you ever get your system to work correctly?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Source selection on the head unit will have no effect on the function of the Voice II. The ""intercom" position in the source selection loop is for possible future expansion but is not supported by the VoiceII.

The "Intercom" position in the source selection loop (am, fm, cd, aux, intercom) IS supported by VOICE II. You choose "intercom" in the source selection when you want to use the intercom feature without a music source.

Bruce Hodges
Kansas City

1 - 19 of 19 Posts