BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Old Dawg
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know I purchased a '05 LT to replace my '02 (which is now at A&S if anyone is interested).

I had the BMW Com3 which was a J&M system in the '02 and it perform flawlessly for the entire time I had the motorcycle. Now I have the Voice II and I was looking forward to equal or better performance. Here are some notes on the Voice II.

• The drivers intercom is not going to activate when you speak if the passenger is not plugged in. I thought the system was not working when I first plugged in my headset because of this but now I know better. It will activate if you use your cell phone or a FRS/GMRS radio.
  • The cell phone and GMRS work excellent and you shouldn't notice any noise picked up from the cell phone like the Com3 did in some phones.
  • The option to play both the speakers on the bike and the headset at the same time is a nice feature so you can talk but still hear sound from the bike speakers. You can turn either off or on separately. You also can control the volume for both the rider and passenger independently.
  • The AUX plug in works perfect, my MP3 plays over the bike speakers and headset speakers without any ignition noise.
  • Here's the one negative and to me it is a big one... The intercom is really lame. If you turn the mic sensitivity to activate when you speak without having to yell, it needs to be set around 2 or 3 on the control panel (the lower the number the easier it is to activate) but this makes the mics key up with very little wind noise. Turn it up to a 4 or 5 and you have to yell to get them to activate. There is NO comparison to the Com3 for this, it was just a way better system hands down. The Com3 with PTT for the driver and passenger was a great way to activate before speaking BTW but they don't make a PTT for the passenger with this system.
On a side note I saw Randy Prade at A&S last week while he was out visiting and he told me he didn't care for the intercom on the Voice II and I now know why.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Scott,
It almost sounds like you have the mike pointing the wrong way. I installed a boom mike setup in a friends helmet and accidently had the mike pointed in the wrong direction. He had some of the same symptoms until I found my mistake.
On my VOICE II you have drag the first word out a little so it doesn't get cutoff, but I don't have to yell to activate it.

Bruce Hodges

·
Old Dawg
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope Bruce, the mics are pointing the right way. They are the J&M headsets that are factory installed in Arai helmets. I did double check because you said this and they are in the correct direction (it would be really tough to twist them backwards). I have been using them for 4 years on my 2002 without issue.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You can install a second PTT switch for the passenger. Simply connect the two wires to the same two wires for the driver PTT. You could buy another PTT from BMW or go to Rat Shack and get any momentary switch that catches your fancy, mounted to taste.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts