BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting the factory supplied Voice II system installed when my LT goes in for the 600 mile service.

What else do I need to buy to make the Voice II functional? The dealer will try to sell me lots of stuff at a ridiculous mark-up so I want to make sure I make smart decisions regarding gear and where I get it.

I welcome any suggestions from this community.

Potential Shopping List:
Headsets
GPS
FRS/CB/2 way/Ham Radio
XM Radio Capability

Thank you in advance!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
Touring Specialties
2750 North Main Street
Mansfield, TX 76063
800-256-7614
www.touringspecialties.com

They are a dealer for J&M, they should be able to hook you up at a reasonable (non-bmw) mark-up. In example A&S wants $97 for a lower headset cord made by J&M. J&M sells the same cord for $25!!!! Just burns my butt! :mad: Or call j&M directy! http://www.jmcorp.com/

As for the FRS/CB/2 way/Ham Radio issue. Good luck. I have made cords to connect Icoms to the Voice II. Baring the factory option (no longer made) kenwood, its a crap shoot as to compatability. CB, there is always J&M, Ham (not experienced) but there is one ham radio that I can't remember people tend to use, but then you still have the cord issue to deal with.

XM Radio Capability: there is a mod, $40 (use the search function), that connects a BMW car (5 series) aux jack to the back of the stock radio. it will do the same thing as the aux jack on the comm system, but allows for the speed volume to work and use of the volume on the bars, were as the comm aux does not.

GPS- I'm a cheap bastard and get used garmins from craigs list, I don't pay more than $60 and mount it and go, yes over time (second one in use over two years) it will fail due to weather, vibrations who knows. but it beats the heck out of paying over $600 for a "bike" approved one, and if it gets stolen or drops, big deal!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input. I think I saw you at the last "Cheap Bastard" meeting. Thanks again!
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,940 Posts
shoswell said:
XM Radio Capability: there is a mod, $40 (use the search function), that connects a BMW car (5 series) aux jack to the back of the stock radio. it will do the same thing as the aux jack on the comm system, but allows for the speed volume to work and use of the volume on the bars, were as the comm aux does not.
If you get the VOICE II you cannot use this cable as the VOICE II plugs in where this would go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John-

I was thinking of installing a Kenwood TM-D710A on my LT to take advantage of APRS along with some XM/GPS combonation. A CB/FRS may make it as well. Can you offer any suggestions thoughts on this?

73,

James
N5OOO
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
jzeiler said:
If you get the VOICE II you cannot use this cable as the VOICE II plugs in where this would go.
Mental note to self..... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
I have Voice II and XM radio mounted on top the front brake reservoir. I ran the cable under the handle bar cover and under the R/H side Tupperware. Drilled a small hole in the R/H side of the oddments box. The cable plugs into the aux port on the comm. controller. You won't have auto volume control nor can you switch XM stations with the bar controls but you will have manual volume control using the factory controls. Works great.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,940 Posts
james_garner said:
John-

I was thinking of installing a Kenwood TM-D710A on my LT to take advantage of APRS along with some XM/GPS combonation. A CB/FRS may make it as well. Can you offer any suggestions thoughts on this?

73,

James
N5OOO
I have the Autocom ICS and have adapted only the RS CB and my FRS radio. I don't get on much any more so I haven't tried any of my ham gear. But there are some good sheets already designed to inteface a few of the more comon Yeasu and Kenwood radios by others here. Just have to search for 'em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
In retrospect I would forgoe the VOICE II system completely. I've been through the VOICE
I & two VOICE II's. None has lived up to the advertising. At present, I am fighting with
BMW to either get my money back or again supply a new VOICE II that will do what they
say it should do.....with no excuses. I would look now at the StarCom1.com system. Their
video is pretty impressive. Now if it would live up to the advertising? I've been told by my
dealer that the VOICE II has had at least 3 suppliers. It looks to me like BMW would very
much like to be free of their liability with this option.....so having lived with it for awhile, I
would advise staying clear of it. Just an opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What specifically do I need to look out for? The Voice system comes with the bike. I know that BMW rebates $850 to the dealer for each Voice set purchased (500 + 350 labor) but I do not see anyway to recover that $500.00. I would be very interested in exploring alternatives in that case.

Since it appears I am stuck with the Voice system, what does it do right?

Am I really going to be better off saying no the Voice system without compensation and buying something different out of pocket?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I don't know if you have ever checkout Cyclegadgets.com but they are very knowledgeable about these things and could offer some options. Also, they are located just outside of Eureka Springs, AR on HWY 187. I have been to there to their shop and they just about everything you could think of and will install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Just had the Voice II installed on my 09'. I need about 275.00 worth of parts to make it work, this did not include headsets.

I have inniated a complaint with BMW customer service people claiming false advertizing.

No disclaimer given when offer of free Voice II.

its about two weeks old no word yet.

My suggestion would be ask your dealer to hash this out before the install.

If there any lawyers out there this may be a very easy class action issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you give me some more specificity about the charges? The dealer gets reimbursed for the unit and an additional $350 for the install labor. What other charges are there?
I understand that the headsets are not part of the deal.

I am due for my 600 mile service and the dealer was going to do the voice install at the same time.

I will ask the dealer questions based on what you tell me. I will then let you know what the dealer told me so we can figure if the problem is with the dealer or the BMW-NA.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
I will try to find my receipt but it was for "cables needed to complete install" they went into the interior of bike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will ask what else I need to make the intercom work besides headsets.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Voice was installed at no additional charge by the dealer. No additional charges for inside wiring.

I talked to BMW NA ahead of time and I was assured that there should be no additional fee.

The person that I talked to offered to call the dealer to make sure they were not charging.

PM me if anyone needs contact info for the person at BMW that can smooth this out at dealers that want to charge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I, too, have an '09 LT with dealer installed VOICE II. Beginning in July '10, I have been going around in circles with the dealer and BMWNA regarding a non functioning "speed dependent sound increase" feature (increased speed increased volume). The feature works through the external speakers (bypassing the VOICE II) but not through the helmet speakers.

I have followed all published directions, submitted the issue to BMW and they have not had any luck in getting it to go. Just received an input via my dealer from a visiting BMW rep indicating that the feature is not designed to work with the VOICEII!
My question: is this feature operative with your '09LT/VOICEII/helmet speaker combo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Busacop said:
I don't know if you have ever checkout Cyclegadgets.com but they are very knowledgeable about these things and could offer some options. Also, they are located just outside of Eureka Springs, AR on HWY 187. I have been to there to their shop and they just about everything you could think of and will install.
Regretfully, Cycle Gadgets is out of business.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
LTSV said:
I, too, have an '09 LT with dealer installed VOICE II. Beginning in July '10, I have been going around in circles with the dealer and BMWNA regarding a non functioning "speed dependent sound increase" feature (increased speed increased volume). The feature works through the external speakers (bypassing the VOICE II) but not through the helmet speakers.

I have followed all published directions, submitted the issue to BMW and they have not had any luck in getting it to go. Just received an input via my dealer from a visiting BMW rep indicating that the feature is not designed to work with the VOICEII!
My question: is this feature operative with your '09LT/VOICEII/helmet speaker combo?
my v-2 works great on my 2006. In fact i have to set the stair ramp down because it would get to loud a I sped up. Could be just a simple wiring issue of incompatable head sets in the helmet.
:confused: Strange one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
james_garner said:
I am getting the factory supplied Voice II system installed when my LT goes in for the 600 mile service.

What else do I need to buy to make the Voice II functional? The dealer will try to sell me lots of stuff at a ridiculous mark-up so I want to make sure I make smart decisions regarding gear and where I get it.

I welcome any suggestions from this community.

Potential Shopping List:
Headsets
GPS
FRS/CB/2 way/Ham Radio
XM Radio Capability


Thank you in advance!![/QUOTE


My only bit of caution is to check out all features (within reason) before signing off on the job. My speed dependent sound increase is non-functioning on my '09 LT with V-II and J/M helmet speakers. I can hear intercom/IPOD/radio/CD. It is just that the speed dependent feature is AWOL.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top