BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all;

I have had a problem with the Voice II rear connector ( passenger connection) since travelling back from CCR this year.My SO could not hear the radio or talk to me on the intercom. The rear speakers are working, the headsets ( her helmet) WORK OK , tried them on the front connection and everything seems OK. It seems that the rear connector does not work ( disconnected the battery to see if it cleared up, but no go).

I took the connector out and brought it to the BMW dealer in Montreal to see about a replacement. It seems that they do not see the connector alone, it comes with the cable and is around $ 250 dollars!!!

Anyone know where I could get a connector only?? Its a 6 pin connector.

Thanks,
Bowdon

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
J&M motorcycle audio.... Much...much cheaper than the stealer....

http://www.jmcorp.com/

Great service, call or email your issues and they will take care of you...

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
bowdon said:
Hi all;

I have had a problem with the Voice II rear connector ( passenger connection) since travelling back from CCR this year.My SO could not hear the radio or talk to me on the intercom. The rear speakers are working, the headsets ( her helmet) WORK OK , tried them on the front connection and everything seems OK. It seems that the rear connector does not work ( disconnected the battery to see if it cleared up, but no go).

I took the connector out and brought it to the BMW dealer in Montreal to see about a replacement. It seems that they do not see the connector alone, it comes with the cable and is around $ 250 dollars!!!

Anyone know where I could get a connector only?? Its a 6 pin connector.

Thanks,
Bowdon
Are you talking about the pillion audio connector on the top case? Six pin female jack with a flap over the top that's usually right next to the powerlet port? If so, I've replaced this twice on my 02 including this last summer and the part was about $30usd. It does have about six inches of cable on it but there's no way it should be $250 even in Canadian if we're talking about the same part. I'd make sure they looked up the right item for you.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tallyho said:
Are you talking about the pillion audio connector on the top case? Six pin female jack with a flap over the top that's usually right next to the powerlet port? If so, I've replaced this twice on my 02 including this last summer and the part was about $30usd. It does have about six inches of cable on it but there's no way it should be $250 even in Canadian if we're talking about the same part. I'd make sure they looked up the right item for you.
Tallyho;

Yes this is the right part!! The stealer here, only sells the complete connector with cable for $250.00!! Is there a way to detect if its the connector or the cable?? The connector is only a union ( transfers electrical impluse) so i think its the cable!! Headsets work well (tested on the drivers connection with every cable).

Where did you get the connector?

Regards,
Bowdon

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
shoswell said:
J&M motorcycle audio.... Much...much cheaper than the stealer....

http://www.jmcorp.com/

Great service, call or email your issues and they will take care of you...
I'll save talleyho....See the above link..$-30 :cool:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys!!!

I went through the JMcorp web site and found the replacement connector ( comes with cable). BRHJ-01 39.95

How it works!!

I have their headsets and they work well ( when the system is operating).

Let you know.
Bowdon

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to install the J&M connector and cable ( part number: BRHJ-01) today, before the game.
Took of the trunk, and started taking the connector and cable off.

The J&M cable fit into the hole, but when you fish the cable through and are ready to change the connection here is what it looks like:

First picture, this is the connection end of the J&M cable.
Second picture is the connection at the cable end on the LT which goes to the rear connector. DON"T MATCH!!!
I will be emailing J&M to let them know this is not the replacement cable for a rear headset connector!!!

Anyone know where I could get the proper cable: number on the paper tag on the cable is: 6573 7 690 018 03

Is there a way to test the connection to see if it is passing current through? what setting do I need to use on my meter? ( not great with electrical meters!!!).
Thanks in advance,
Bowdon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Dude.....I am sorry, but I have NEVER seen an audio cable like that! Hopefully J&M will have what you need. :(

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought about this last night!! Then a light went on!!
The cable from J&M is to replace the CONNECTION ONLY!! Not the cable. It has the connection ( which the headset plugs into) and the plug end goes to the end that screws into the connection.

I don't think the problem is in the rear, I think that the front cable ( under some plastic!!) is the problem. When we did the 24K at CCR last year, maybe one of the connections did not get connected properly, and slipped out.

When I get some time & space (garage is full, generator, snowblower, trailer and tools) I will take some of the tupperware off (on the left side) and check the connections.

Hopefully this will be the simple fix !!!

Regards,
Bowdon

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Here, my turn to "save" Hoss.

That's the DIN connector for the headset. I'll wager when you removed the stingray at CCR the passenger headset rear DIN did not get reconnected. You should be able to access it from the left side upper tupperware of the bike as you sit on it unless the plug is compressed under stingray. When you do get them reconnected, I would wrap a piece of electric tape around each it and all similar DIN connections under the stingray to make sure they stay put. One last thing, be sure to check the whole comm system before you button it back up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts