BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a voice command GPS in their cage?

does it work good enough so that you do not have to use the touch screen to manipulate it?

Been day dreaming about voice command GPS instead of having to take a hand off the grip to manipulate it.

Best from tucson
Bob

·
Registered
372 Posts
Have voice command in the Prius.

It's a joke!!

The most basic commands work maybe 40 percent of the time.

Trying to input an address by voice,,,,, good for the laughs but nothing else....

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
kevincaron said:
Have voice command in the Prius.

It's a joke!!

The most basic commands work maybe 40 percent of the time.

Trying to input an address by voice,,,,, good for the laughs but nothing else....
+1

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I have voice command in a BMW 535xi and it works VERY well.

HTH,
Jer

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
jers99lt said:
I have voice command in a BMW 535xi and it works VERY well.

HTH,
Jer
I am thinking Bob was not planning to buy a car to get voice command, even if it is a BMW. :D

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looking for some way to use a cager GPS with voice command with a mic in my helmet, assuming one can manipulate the GPS functions with voice command?
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found some interesting articles, information, all of which is way past my understanding. But it shows voice control of components!!
http://mbed.org/users/SaMa/notebook/voice-controlled-temperature-sensing-robot/

Also info on voice control via blue tooth!
http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/datasheets/Wireless/Bluetooth/rn-bt-audio-ug-2.0r.pdf

And, unfortunately, this site looks like a lot of FUN!
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11678

Just check out their tutorials!

I discovered E-textiles, textile switches, pressure sensors, flex sensors. Also sensors detecting muscle flexing, on the expensive side. But it sure would be nice to be able to control a switch on the LT by simply making a fist.

Found a DC motor with around 100:1 gear reduction. Often I'll be zooming down an interstate and the wx is very different than when I set the clear plasic wings under the mirrors. Sure would be nice to be able to re adjust them with out having to stop.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
I am thinking Bob was not planning to buy a car to get voice command, even if it is a BMW. :D
Ahhh, yes, thank you, John. Sometimes I don't see the forest for the trees.

Jer

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but, that was good info to know it works someplace.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
I have a Garmin 3790LMT, picked up at Best Buy a few years ago refurbished for
$175. This is a great little unit and does voice commands well so long as the
road noise is not too loud, the names you state are simple and you take the
time to properly pronounce stuff - quite amazing when you think of it!! To
activate you just say VOICE . . .

Of course not applicable for "on bike usage" . . . not waterproof and the voice
would not work!! BTW they go fairly cheap used on eBay!!

Here is screen shot of available voice commands:

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I was in Las Vegas mid november and my daughter bought me a Garmon(model not handy) and coming home to Missouri I used the voice command to get directions to off interstate towns. It worked great for that w/o touching the screen. BUT I never got it to work when I gave it an address. I'm still working on that. LOL
My wife and I noticed when we were just visiting and the words "voice command" were spoken the darned thing would talk to us. A bit annoying and I had to say "exit" to get her to shut up!
After I use it awhile, I think I'll like it better.
This old foggy is a bit stubborn and I hate new complicated gadgets. Ugh!

Heck, we could even ask it to find a cafe in a city big or small. Pretty cool. For $200 bucks it's awfully handy.:bmw:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
...Found a DC motor with around 100:1 gear reduction. Often I'll be zooming down an interstate and the wx is very different than when I set the clear plasic wings under the mirrors. Sure would be nice to be able to re adjust them with out having to stop.
That's odd. I've never had to stop just to adjust these wings, but I can see where motorized ones would be fun to operate. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts