BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a 2002, Here goes I will try to explain , Trying to purchase the new BMW Voice II that has the control knob on the top of the unit with the LCD readout. The BMW Voice II unit installs above the factory CD/Tape Deck. Has anyone installed it on a 2002? BMW said that the BMW Voice II unit only fits 2005 LT’s, However, if you go to the J&M website (http://www.jmcorp.com/BMW-comsystem-manual-03-200.pdf ) (page 23) the J & M comm unit that is shown there shows that its can be installed from 1999 to 2005, you only need to purchase the adaptor harness..........Maybe the J & M adaptor harness can be used to install the New BMW Voice II that is only “available for the 2005” .

Has anyone explored this? Does anyone have connections with J&M maybe they could answer this question.

Really want to make this work.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
J&M made the original BMW Comm System

At one point in time J&M made the comm system for BMW. In 2005 BMW went to a different vendor or are making it themselves. I believe the cable that J&M is talking about will only let you put a BMW Comm I in a 2005 and not the BMW Comm II in any previous model. This is pure speculation on my part.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Renzo said:
can anybody answer this with some facts?
Facts:

J&M does not offer *anything* to adapt the VOICE II to the pre-'05 bikes.

J&M can fit *their* ComSystem system to 99-05 bikes.

The '05 wiring harness is pre-wired with wiring and two conenctors plugs under the left side of the dash to mate with corresponding VOICE II harness connectors.

The VOICE II *in theory* _can_ be backfitted to bikes from '04 back to sometime in mid-'02.

In early-mid '02, BMW switched from supplying the bikes with a cassette player in the oddments compartment to a single-CD slot radio. These latter signle-CD units have plug connections at the rear of the radio which can accept the VOICE II connectors.

The pre-'05 bikes do NOT have matching connectors for the VOICE II harness built into the bike. That's why your dealer sez the VOICE II can't be installed. What he/she really means, is that it's not plug and play. If you can figure out the VOICE II wiring at these connectors, you can figure out where to add power, ground, etc. connections from the bike to serve the VOICE II. If I can find the wiring assignments, I'll post them, but I don't have VOICE II or 05 bike schematic yet.

HTH -- at least some,

·
Registered
349 Posts
mneblett said:
Facts:

The '05 wiring harness is pre-wired with wiring and two conenctors plugs under the left side of the dash to mate with corresponding VOICE II harness connectors.

The pre-'05 bikes do NOT have matching connectors for the VOICE II harness built into the bike. That's why your dealer sez the VOICE II can't be installed. What he/she really means, is that it's not plug and play. If you can figure out the VOICE II wiring at these connectors, you can figure out where to add power, ground, etc. connections from the bike to serve the VOICE II.

Only one wire is used by the VIOCE II from the 05 wiring harness. This wire provides the speed signal to the VOICE II for speed/volume control; all other connections are supplied by the radio connection. The VOICE II will function without the speed signal but the volume will not increase in the headset with speed increase. If we can identify this wire in the 02 wiring harness to the radio you could splice into it and connect it to the VOICE II. I can identify the wire for speed/volume on the VOICE II.
Anyone have an 02, 03, 04 wiring diagram?

Bruce Hodges
Kansas City

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks for the Facts.
mneblett said:
Facts:

J&M does not offer *anything* to adapt the VOICE II to the pre-'05 bikes.

J&M can fit *their* ComSystem system to 99-05 bikes.

The VOICE II *in theory* _can_ be backfitted to bikes from '04 back to sometime in mid-'02.

In early-mid '02, BMW switched from supplying the bikes with a cassette player in the oddments compartment to a single-CD slot radio. These latter signle-CD units have plug connections at the rear of the radio which can accept the VOICE II connectors.

The pre-'05 bikes do NOT have matching connectors for the VOICE II harness built into the bike. That's why your dealer sez the VOICE II can't be installed. What he/she really means, is that it's not plug and play. If you can figure out the VOICE II wiring at these connectors, you can figure out where to add power, ground, etc. connections from the bike to serve the VOICE II. If I can find the wiring assignments, I'll post them, but I don't have VOICE II or 05 bike schematic yet.

HTH -- at least some,

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More Info on Voice II

Thanks, Here some more information,

BMW Cycle Works in Barrington, Illinois. Talk to BMW about this issue on my behalf.

According to Guy, the Service Manager at Cycle Works, BMW will be coming out with a harness that will enable the installation of the Voice II to earlier bikes like my 02. The reason for this conversion kit is, if you happen to have an older Comm. System on your bike now, and if the unit goes bad there is no longer a replacement made for it. So once BMW/J&M inventory is gone there gone for good. BMW never had a “Comm. system of there own until the Voice II. So that is why BMW will make Voice II backward compatible. BMW said that this conversion kit should be available in a month or so , Guy, the Service Manager at Cycle Works seem to think more like February. All in all it sounds like good news.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Renzo said:
Thanks, Here some more information,

BMW Cycle Works in Barrington, Illinois. Talk to BMW about this issue on my behalf.

According to Guy, the Service Manager at Cycle Works, BMW will be coming out with a harness that will enable the installation of the Voice II to earlier bikes like my 02. The reason for this conversion kit is, if you happen to have an older Comm. System on your bike now, and if the unit goes bad there is no longer a replacement made for it. So once BMW/J&M inventory is gone there gone for good. BMW never had a “Comm. system of there own until the Voice II. So that is why BMW will make Voice II backward compatible. BMW said that this conversion kit should be available in a month or so , Guy, the Service Manager at Cycle Works seem to think more like February. All in all it sounds like good news.
I am in the process of installing one currently on an '05. There are tons of wires so I wouldn't recommend installing on an earlier model without a harness made specifically for the Voice II unless you are a very skilled and patient installer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for info

Very skilled in mechanics, Was one. I will keep you posted as the BMW harness comes in some time in february.

·
Registered
16 Posts
comm 3 system

I had wanted to put the Voice II on my 2000lt.. Everywhere I turned, no matter who I call, the answer was alway - no you can't do it. Well I ordered the J & M Comm system also know as the Bc-3 system. You will see it on many web sites. This is the system that I installed myself.
BMW K 1200 LT ComSystem
(Requires installation of accessory power relay harness 99 00 0 001 788).
Part Number: 99 99 0 000 186 / 187

I love the system. My CB, my GPS, my radar, my satellite radio, my FHS radio, my phone ALL goes into this system. The sound is great.. It took a lot of time to install, but it went smooth.. I am not sure if this is helping you. But this system worked great for me.
Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts