BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just as a information.
Some friends and my self visited the BMW Motorcycle Plant in Berlin, Germany, last weekend. Very interesting, we couldnt make any pic's in the production area so I try to explain you the most important points.
Major points.
They produced around 13 million bikes in there history, there is no bike with a BMW emblem around the word wish doesn't come from Berlin.
They build everything in this plant, Engines, 2 Cylinder Boxer, 4 cylinder K Models, 6 Cylinder GT and GTL Models, Frame, even tanks and spray painting.
The one cylinder Engine comes from Rotax in Austria, also some electrical parts like Hanrnes and lights the are supplied from the outside.
There Quality control is outstanding. The Piston rods are not only measured the go on a scale and will be sorted by weight with 1000 gram of weight.
On the end of the Production line there are some guys they touch the bike all around to find some bad spots. After this is a test stand where the bike with driver goes on. There they test everything under hot engine that means engine is running. The screen tells the driver wish test is to do. Lights, Direction lights, Horn all Gears, Brake system front and back. If one fails the bike goes back for correction and retesting.
I tell you is very interesting and if you have ever a chance to visit so do it.

Manfred

·
Registered
132 Posts
mreuter said:
They produced around 13 million bikes in there history, there is no bike with a BMW emblem around the word wish doesn't come from Berlin.
They build everything in this plant, Engines, 2 Cylinder Boxer, 4 cylinder K Models, 6 Cylinder GT and GTL Models, Frame, even tanks and spray painting.
The one cylinder Engine comes from Rotax in Austria, also some electrical parts like Hanrnes and lights the are supplied from the outside.
What about the 650 engine built in China?

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/2009-bmw-g650gs-review-87721.html

·
Registered
401 Posts
Maybe he means Berlin, China?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I wonder if they found that FD set-up technician that was responsible for the over-preloading of our crown bearings and booted him out of the establishment. ;) Kymco I think build the 650. Are we all sure the boxer engine is still manufactured in Berlin ?? Just asking.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats right, the 650 Engine is manufactured in China they build also some Bikes over there but only for the Asian Market as they said to us. All other units like Boxer, all four and six Cylinder Engines coming from the Berlin Plant in Germany, not Berlin in China :D.
I cant tell you anything about FD units, I don't even know if they build that unit in Berlin I think this comes from a supplier.

Manfred

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thank you Manfred, will look forward to visiting soon.

Mauro

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
K100Dennis said:
I wonder if they found that FD set-up technician that was responsible for the over-preloading of our crown bearings and booted him out of the establishment. ;)
... and then gave him a good old-fashioned arse whipping out in the car park!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here is a video of the K1600 engine assembly process in Berlin. I've seen several videos of japanese assembly plants and there are many differences... specially that the BMW has a lot of automation in place and the japanese videos that I've seen don't have much...

Here is the link: BMW Berlin Engine Assembly Video

Added the K1600GT Assembly Line: Video

·
Registered
132 Posts
6speedTi said:
A coworker has a 2007 650. Last year they built the engine in Germany.
He tells me that the quality control was not up to BMW Motorads standards and the
engine is now being built again in Germany. He still rides his German engine built 650 and is approaching 100,000 miles.
That's good news, but doesn't make the statement in the OP "...there is no bike with a BMW emblem around the word wish (sic) doesn't come from Berlin" any less disingenuous. Unless what they meant is that there are no bikes being produced CURRENTLY that don't come from Berlin? But even at that, this was contradicted by the original poster later when he said they admit they build bikes elsewhere for the Asian market. But if they are actually talking about "every bike with a BMW emblem around the world" then they have to include the vintage bikes built at the Eisenach plant too. It built bikes (the R 35 for example) starting in 1930 and throughout WWII. It even continued after Germany was divided, at which point they were forced to change the company name to EMW .

This whole story reminds me of guys I've talked to who toured the H-D plant in York PA, who were told by the guide about how the bikes were completely made in the USA, yet were paraded by crates of parts clearly stamped "made in Japan." They returned for a tour years later, and the tour no longer went through the area where the crates of parts were kept.

·
Registered
191 Posts
VoIPwizard said:
Here is a video of the K1600 engine assembly process in Berlin. I've seen several videos of japanese assembly plants and there are many differences... specially that the BMW has a lot of automation in place and the japanese videos that I've seen don't have much...

Here is the link: BMW Berlin Engine Assembly Video

Added the K1600GT Assembly Line: Video

I want a pair of those BMW overalls! I wonder how many engines a day the produce. It looked like they were not running at a very high rate.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Any of you guys ever watch the series "Twist the Throttle"? They would do an hour program on various manufactures assembly plants. Fascinating. And BMW's clearly showed attention to detail. Wished they'd put it back on.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Verrrry Interrresting. I got a "VIP" tour of the Ducati plant a few years ago. Sounds similar, although I wonder if Berlin has a big espresso/wine bar in the plant for the workers to visit on their breaks.

Sounds like Ducati uses more components built by outside supplier however.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts